PDA

View Full Version : Finaly Got To Shoot Free Renegade

oldwood1
04-21-2012, 07:21 PM
I finally got to the range for a couple of hours Friday afternoon with the .54 T/C Renegade. Shot rd ball, Hornady .530 with a couple of different patch lube combos, using Pyrodex RS (FFG equiv.). Started at 25 yds. using 50 grs., put 5 in 3"+/- group. Moved to 50 yds., didn't hit paper! Tried upping powder charge, cleaning between shots, different patch lube combos etc.
I have 5# BP on order, will probably wait for that and hit the range again with LARGE sheet of paper or cardboard and see whats going on. In the mean time I will check for loose sights, screws and what ever.
My 1st time shooting with my own muzzle loader, REALLY ENJOY IT!!
This is a great site with lots of good info.
Thanks to all, oldwood1 Will post again after next shoot.

smoked turkey
04-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Your experience with the Renegade sounds abnormal. However, not knowing where your 3" group hit the target, I would only guess that the sights are not regulated to hit to point of aim at 25 yd. I would as you said check for loose sights, then I would make sure of a good steady rest and do it again at 25 yd. I'd regulate my sights to hit at point of aim at that distance. I might go up to 60 gr RS (by volume ofcourse) just to do it because I know that charge should work good in your .54. I would use a .015 patch of pillow ticking to insure the .530 RB was going down with some resistance. I use bore butter as a patch lube. I'd swab between shots with a lightly moist patch followed by a dry one. If I am regulated at 25 yards, I'd move to 50 yards with a BIG target and it should be fairly close. That is about all I know to tell you I'd do at this point. Good luck with it.

mooman76
04-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Great to hear you got out. They are allot of fun. I need to get out soon.

quilbilly
04-22-2012, 11:10 PM
50 gr of FF equivalents does sound a little light to me for a 54. I use 55 gr of FFF Goex for my 45 with PRB and 75 gr of FFF in my 50 T/C's for best accuracy as well as hunting loads. Of course, every T/C muzzleloader has its own personality which you will soon discover. Welcome to muzzleloading!

bigdog454
04-29-2012, 10:02 AM
I bought one once (cheaply) that shot the same. I glass beded the rear of the bbl, around the trigger area and found that the stock had a lot of pressure on the bbl. kind of free floate the end of the bbl and it shot very well. used 80 gr of FFG.
BD

john hayslip
04-29-2012, 11:31 AM
You may have a twist problem. Balls seem to need a very long twist to shoot accurately - like one turn in 60 inches. Most of the newer rifles I've seen and have are made with a 48 inch twist and seem to shoot much more accurately with bullet than ball.
Stick you ramrod with a fairly tight patch on it and make a flag at the end of the muzzle with some kind of tape Pull the ramrod out until the flag rotates 180 degrees, measure back to the muzzle from the flag and double that length to find the twist on your rifle.
I have two fifties, a flinter by Lyman and a caplock by CVA and both have 48 inch twists. Both shoot bullets much better than balls.

Maven
04-29-2012, 12:17 PM
john, The T/C Renegade has a 1:48" twist, but it will shoot both Maxi-Balls and RB's very well. Some call the 1:48 a "compromise" twist for RB, but my 1:48's shot them quite accurately.

Bob Krack
04-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Ya could always go from 25 to 30 and then to 35, etc before panicking.

Good luck, the rifle can be (potentially) a 1MOA rifle if you are diligent and patient enough.

My brother-in-law shoots playing cards edgewise at 50 yards.

Bob