PDA

View Full Version : Old Model Bearcat locked up

L Ross
04-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Anyone have an idea why my Old Model Bearcat won't drop the cylinder latch bolt? I was using it this afternoon and it was running fine. Next thing I know it won't turn. When I try to bring the hammer back to the loading notch the bolt doesn't drop preventing the cylinder from rotating. I can remove the cylinder and manually depress the bolt.

Duke

L Ross
04-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Alright, I was pretty sure I hadn't done anything weird, such as let the hammer down from anything other than full cock. So, I pulled the cylinder out and I put a couple of drops of Break Free on the bolt and worked the bolt up and down and after about 30 cycles it started working. I reassembled the revolver and went back out and fired 50 trouble free shots.
I love a simple fix! This had been a dresser drawer gun for about 30 years before I got it this winter. Might just be dry.

Duke

tek4260
04-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Oiled or dry should make no difference, or at least not enough difference to cause a malfunction/stoppage. I'd pull it down and give it an inspection and fix the problem.

44man
04-22-2012, 01:42 PM
The cylinder latch plunger and spring was stuck, letting the hammer plunger ride over the latch.
Dry oil or grease.

larryp
04-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Had an old S&W 1917 that the trigger would stay back after firing at times. It was dried out congealed oil. SOunds like the same thing here and the new oil softened up the old stuff. Especially if it sat in a drawer for years. Taking apart the 1917 and cleaning out the gummy oil and replacing it with new solved the problem. I'd do the same to the Bearcat if I was you.

L Ross
04-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks all. I guess I'll have to pull it down, but I'll do so cautiously. The pins and screws are blemish free and I'll need to do a little research before I just start trying to take it apart. I have had a full Brownell's screw driver set for 25 years, and I excercise care, but I know enough to know I'm no gun smith.

Duke

madsenshooter
04-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Can you hit anything with it? Old friend bought one for the two of us to play with back in the late 60's early 70's. It was very inaccurate, very loud, and spit lead out the side. It sat in his billing drawer more than it got played with. Last I saw it was in the 90s after his garage flooded. I took it to clean it up for him, it still shot lousy.

Multigunner
04-23-2012, 04:55 PM
The Bearcat is probably the handiest little .22 I've ever owned, but mine was a great disapointment.
I could not figure out why at the time, but you'd be lucky to hit the ground with it if you dropped it. The most innacurate .22 I've ever seen. It also managed to pepper my face with powder and lead every time I fired it.
I checked timing and made sure there was no cutting of the case rims, could find nothing wrong with it.
I took that one back to the store.

A few years ago I found out why this particular Bearcat behaved as it did.
Seems that a few early manufacture Bearcats slipped through without a forcing cone cut in the barrel.
It apparently was peeling off strips of lead on the raw edges of the lands and these were being blown back at me somehow.
The bullet being cut up like that rather than the lands engraving the bullet normally must be why it was so innaccurate.

One day I may buy another Bearcat, if so the forcing cone will be the first thing I check.

madsenshooter
04-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Well, thanks multi. I'll bet that was the problem with my friends too. I'll never know now, after he passed away some kids broke into his house and stole it, among other things.