PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Example!

seagiant
04-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi,
Thought I would show my latest pressI bought off of E-Bay! This is a Pacific Power "C" press. Of course according to Pressman if it is painted red it was really made by Hornady! I have been looking at this press along with the CH 204. They look very much alike and are both VERY stout presses,even though they only have the single swing arm. The handle on the Pacific is cocked to the right as you face the press so you can get in front to use it!

The reason I say perfect example is that this press was on E-Bay for a $49.95 start bid or make an offer. I offered $35 and it was accepted by the seller. Shipping was $17, so for $52 bucks I've got a press that will load anything besides a 50 bmg round! I can't understand why someone for the same money or more would want a newer lighter press? I'm including a pic of the CH 204 (black) so you can see the similarity!

Oh, this also came with a 45 ACP die,shellholder and an original primer catcher!

Link: http://pacificreloaders.awardspace.com/Pacific%20Power%20C.htm

Walt
04-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Good find, I like it. C.I. is King.

Bmcnabb
04-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Nice looking Pacific. A friend gave me one two years ago that he hadn't used in about thirty years. I cleaned it up and repainted and it is like new.

Roundnoser
04-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Nice presses! One thing I like about Seagiant's posts are his pictures! Gotta have pictures!

Jack Stanley
04-22-2012, 08:36 AM
I like those old presses that are still functional and Pacific is a nice brand for sure . I have a red painted Pacific I think is either an 07 or 007 , I bought it from a company in Nevada many years ago . It sorta reminds you of a Rock chucker type press and works very well .

Jack

seagiant
04-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi,
Here is the pic of a Power "C" that I found that got me to wanting one of these presses! Notice the handle on this one has a bend? Original? I don't know? Mine does not have that!

Hardcast416taylor
04-22-2012, 10:43 AM
I actually hate to tell about the "as new" Lyman Spartan "C" press that sold last week at an estate auction for $7.50.Robert

seagiant
04-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi,
Well...I'm sure the guy that bought it was happy! Just like me when I bought my Hollywood Senior (short) for $10!

LUBEDUDE
04-22-2012, 02:25 PM
SG - that is Killer!

I was just thinking of you the other day when on ebay looking at a Power C. I even thought of getting it myself. I am just plain out of room! Too many presses, too short of room.

So many times when on ebay and I see these old presses at such good buys, like you I am totally amazed at why someone would spent 3,4,5,6x or more the money for a new, maybe inferior press. I just don't get it. Oh well, I guess the wise deserve the breaks.

Nice snag!

seagiant
04-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi Lube,
Yea, I could not take it any more,had to get it! My Pacific Super Deluxe was getting lonely! I think when I clean it up I will keep it red as original,but after the work should look like new!

LUBEDUDE
04-22-2012, 09:05 PM
SG - be sure to let us see the refurb please!

Isaac
04-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Seagiant: Congratulations. A decent deal on a good press. Happy loading!

Isaac

Lance Boyle
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
My old boss has an oooold Herters made by whom I don't know. That press was C shaped and looks heavy enough to double as an anvil. They way overbuilt things back then. I'm glad they did because they last.

LUBEDUDE
04-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Sounds like the Super Model 3.

A real Tank!

seagiant
04-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Hi,
Like this? This is one rebuilt by a member here that does excellent work! I think his handle is Ozark Howler?

Mike Kerr
04-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Nice looking old press. I bet you do a good "refurb" and make it pretty once again.
Seriously, it actually looks fine but the temptation will be there to dress it up.

What I wonder about the older Pacific, CH, and Spartan Single stages is how good is their leverage/handle weight/ram smoothness compared to a new press. I once started to collect older single stages but I was somewhat disappointed when I found some of them have less leverage than I was used to and heavier handles.

I still have a Herter No 3 which looks and is heavy and massive but I finally realized I did not need that handle weight for most work. I had two older Redding SS and once again they were fairly heavy but the weight was not doing me any good. So now I have turned to the Pacific/Bair/CH/Spartan class of SS but I have not yet acted on my inclinations. I will be very interested to read of your revelations and experiments. BTW thanks for the good pictures.

regards,

:-):-):-)

seagiant
04-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Hi,
Well... I'm afraid Mr. Dietemeyer did the hard work he designed and built the old DL and Pacific loaders! I just find them,clean them up and enjoy them! I've had the Herters presses before and sold them to people looking to get into reloading at a reasonable cost. I'm not really a collector,if someone needed help getting started I would probably outfit them with everything they needed. Here is one of my favorite presses that is still being made today and has a very nice action! Oh yea,it's a PW Met-II!

LUBEDUDE
04-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Looking good there SG.

Trail Finder
04-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Now I have to go out to the garage and get the one I got from Grandpa and clean it up. I will post a picture for your review. Thanks for the motivation.

Seagiant looks like a CRKT on the bench next to the press

seagiant
04-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Hi,
Good eyes! Here is a case I made for it as it's a bit big for the pocket! Waitin on those pics!

gwpercle
04-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Mike

I have a Bair Super Deluxe , which replaced the Spartan press I started with. The Bair has just the right weight and mass for reloading I like it better than the Spartan . It is smooth in operation and when set to raise the ram on the upstroke you can get all the leverage you need ( the ram can be set to operate on the up or down stroke ) I once thought that Bair and Pacific were the same press. Bair made presses for Pacific but some of the Bair presses are of a different design . If you have never tried one, keep looking on E-bay they come up often but most of the time they are advertised as Pacific. Unless P or Pacific is cast into the frame, and if it's blue , its proably Bair... some will still have a Bair sticker still on them. My press had the sticker removed and for the past 25 years I thought it was a Pacific... but PressMan had some photo's and set me straight. If you got any questions about presses pressman and seagiant are the guys to go to..... they know presses.

Trail Finder
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi,
Good eyes! Here is a case I made for it as it's a bit big for the pocket! Waitin on those pics!

Looks like a well used M17. I have one. I need to do some digging and a little cleaning and hope to get some pictures up this weekend.

kopperl
04-27-2012, 09:55 PM
A friend and I were talking to the owner of a local gun store last week.I had to leave and Tank continued to visit. Later that day he stopped by to show me the Hornaday LNL progressive (bare) that he bought from the owner for $25.
I wanted to cry!

LUBEDUDE
04-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Sounds like they had a very good talk indeed!

Trail Finder
04-29-2012, 04:17 PM
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/crawlerdad/Press.jpg

This is a hand me down from my Grandpa. It loads on the upstroke.

seagiant
04-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the pic! Yes,they must of made these by the truck load! There are usually about 3 of these on e-bay at all times. I can see the resemblance to the later Super Deluxe and my new Power "C" press. The boss going down the side and the shape of the base that sits on the bench.

These old presses remind me of the film "Uncommon Valor" with Gene Hackman, as these guys are going to go in and rescue POW's and have the latest equipment but at the last minute the best is taken away and instead of quitting they go in with old WWII stuff,Garands,Tommy guns,ect. and get the job done anyway! I bet if all I had was one of these old presses I could put out just as good of ammo as anyone with the latest Blue or Red offerings!

Trail Finder
04-29-2012, 10:50 PM
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/crawlerdad/Powder.jpg

How about this. Only two pour options as far as I can tell. Might look good on the bench but doubt I will ever use it. Made in Pasadena CA, by Santa Anita Eng.

seagiant
04-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Hi,
Here are mine! If you are not interested in yours send me a PM and we'll talk!

Kevin Rohrer
04-30-2012, 09:34 AM
These old presses remind me of the film "Uncommon Valor" with Gene Hackman

Trivia: Since Hackman was a Marine Korean War vet, he carried his personally-owned Garand in the movie. I got that tidbit from the Weapons Technical Adviser for the movie. The adviser also told me Hackman is as tough a guy in real life as the characters he plays (i.e. not a panty waist like Brad Pitt, Collin Farrell, etc).

seagiant
04-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks Kevin,
I did not know that! I knew he used a Garand in the movie but did not know it was his! My first battle rifle is this Match Grade Garand I had built by Roland Beaver (Old Corps Weaponry) in 1992 for $1400. Who knows what it is worth now? It has a Douglas Match barrel and is chambered in .308 Win. with my handloads with IMR-4895 powder it will shoot 3/4 MOA at the bench all day!

All this to say I enjoyed watching a guy use a Garand with iron sights as a DMR!

44Vaquero
04-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Love seeing the old equipment restored and cared for! I may even start looking for restoration project myself.

seagiant
04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi 44,
There are ALOT of old Pacifics on E-Bay right now! One guy selling a few is only charging $11 for shipping which is VERY good! Jump in the water"s fine!

44Vaquero
04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Seagiant, If she is in the water count me in! Actually, if I did it would only be as an extension of reloading as a hobby. I own 5 presses now and really do not need another one.

Bmcnabb
04-30-2012, 07:00 PM

This is the Pacific Power C that a friend gave me. I cleaned it up and repainted it with international harvester red.

seagiant
04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi Bmcnab,
Thanks for the pic! Man,that is one good looking STOUT press! Have you used it yet? I'm not at home at the moment but my wife said my Pacific Power "C" made it to the house ok,so I have a project when I get home. Hope it looks as good as yours! Do you like the handle offset? Any more pics? Thanks again!