PDA

View Full Version : Saving sizer dies settings

cabezaverde
04-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Anyone have the same problem involving saving the settings on a sizer dies when moving them from press to press? For example, sometimes I want to load up a few 223 on my single stage for load development, other times I want to pound them out on my progressive.

Currently, I have to reset the sizing die when switching back and forth. Seems like no to pressesusethe same setting.

Anyone have a clever tip?

arkypete
04-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Greenhead
Wouldn't be simpler to buy a second sizing die?
I load all of my rifle rounds on a single stage and all of my pistol rounds on Dillions.
Loading dies are cheap enough to buy an extra set for one cartridge?
Jim

flinchnjerk
04-08-2007, 01:50 AM
I use shims. Being both dirt-poor and and an appallingly cheap pri..... uh, very frugal, I'll use 7/8 washers, a second lock ring ( no need to tighten it), etc.; whatever takes up the space. Once, however, I lost my head completely... crowbarred the wallet open and had the moths kick out enough currency to buy a set of Skips Machine Die Shims from Sinclair International (www.sinclairintl.com). 15 shims ranging from .003 to .127. Handy not only for your problem, but also very useful for lightening a crimp for a specific load, reducing the amount of flare on a case, etc. without having to adjust the die's lock ring.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Your problem is exactly why I went to the Hornady LnL bushing system. I use a Hornady LnL progressive and a Lee Classic Cast single stage with a Lock N Load conversion bushing.

When I first got the Lee (already had the Hornady), I took a sizing die already adjusted in the Hornady and installed it in the Lee. Found out which way and how much I would need to shim (added shim below the Hornady LnL conversion bushing) and did so.

It's a system that works really well. Die changing is a twist and click with no adjustments necessary on either press now.

Regards,

Dave

Dale53
04-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Dave:
Now that"s an "elegant" solution...

Dale53