PDA

View Full Version : All I have is a 22 and M1 carbine

Jamesconn
04-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Im savin for a shotgun, but I use my Henry lever 22 the most for hunting it was my first and I love it, but I'm lookin for more ammo for it I already have 6,000 rounds of my favorite bulk pals but I'm lookin for variety do it can do more things.

I plink with federal bulk and I use Winchester CB for hunting in my yard and I have CCI stinger cause my mom has the carbine in her room so I put the stingers in at night.

04-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Jamesconn,
6 bricks put away! That's my kinda planning :)

I think the Stingers, the bulk and the CBs cover just about everything 22rf can do. As you shoot up the Federal bulk I'd replace it with CCI Blazer bulk. At least in all my 22s the CCI Blazer is the best of the bulk... by far.

For reference you could set up a paper target with a 1/2" bull at 25 yards. Use a good rest or prone with a rest. Shoot 10 precise, steady shots at the bull using the Federal bulk. Write the ammo type, gun, range and date on the target. Put the target away for comparison. Then when you can... get something like a 50 ct box of CCI Blazer, repeat the same 10 shot routine on another identical target. Write the info down. Compare the two targets. Don't adjust sights during the shooting. You just want to compare group size. Comparing the two targets will tell you something about the accuracy of those two types of ammo in your rifle. And, you can do the same type testing for any other ammo you wish to compare.

BTW, hope things work out and you can get a shotgun!

Hardcast416taylor
04-28-2012, 10:06 AM
The single piece of advice to people buying a new .22 RF rifle is to try it on a paper target from a steady rest at 35 yards to see what each brand or type of ammo will do. The general way of thinking that ammo is ammo soon gets sorted out from shooting on a target. Almost 50 years back that my Ruger 10/22 International model liked Winchester Hi-Vel long rifle H.P.`s. That is still the only ammo I shoot thru it.Robert

mdi
05-04-2012, 11:52 AM
We think alike! I've got 8 bricks stashed in my shed. Another good 22 lr is CCI Green Tag Target ammo. Not as expensive as some of the other target ammo and shoots pretty good in my 22s. While I'm here I'll add; I use a Poco Kelly's Acr'rzr on some of my bulk ammo and it will cut down a normally 1" - 1 1/2" group @ 30 yds to 3/4" or so most of the time (Federal bulk and Winchester bulk from my Marlin 981T). I've never had a lot of luck with Stingers or other hyper-velocity ammo though...