PDA

View Full Version : AA#5 and Unique

zack
04-21-2012, 10:46 AM
I've got a powder burn chart that says Accurate Arms #5 is just a bit faster than Unique. But, I was looking at Accurate Ams load manual #2 and they say that AA#5 is slower than Unique. Anybody know for sure one way or the other? Zack

rexherring
04-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Any of my reloading info shows that you can use more AA#5 than Unique for just about every boolit listed. I've just loaded a few .45 LC with a Lee 200 grn FNRP with AA#5 and haven't touched one off yet but soon I hope. The Accurate load data shows these with 12 grs of AA#5 and no way I'd put that much Unique in them.

zack
04-21-2012, 12:59 PM
No, I wasn't concerned about the grainage, or, how much powder I could pyhsically cram in a case, but rather the 'actual burn rate'.

Char-Gar
04-21-2012, 03:10 PM
I have shot lots of AA5 and find it to be a hair slower than Unique.

zack
04-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Ahhh, thank you sir. That's what I was hoping somwone would say. Zack

subsonic
04-21-2012, 05:46 PM
I would caution you that as the cartridge you are using it in changes, so does the powder's place on the burn rate scale. Not a lot mind you, but maybe 3 or 4 places on the chart in some instances.

Old Caster
04-27-2012, 07:43 PM
I have some pull down powder that acts pretty much like Unique in 38 special but a lot like Bullseye in a .45 ACP. There may not be any commercially available powders that vary that much but always be careful what you are doing and don't expect too many things to be set in stone. -- Bill --

Walt
04-27-2012, 08:07 PM
I've got a powder burn chart that says Accurate Arms #5 is just a bit faster than Unique. But, I was looking at Accurate Ams load manual #2 and they say that AA#5 is slower than Unique. Anybody know for sure one way or the other? Zack

The latest burn chart I've seen shows #5 as slower than Unique. There are 11 powders between them! Unique is 41 and #5 is 53. FWIW, where I use both, #5 acts slower to me also.

Lloyd Smale
04-28-2012, 05:34 AM
i use aa5 and herco interchangably for loads in handguns.

felix
04-28-2012, 07:50 AM
I have some pull down powder that acts pretty much like Unique in 38 special but a lot like Bullseye in a .45 ACP. There may not be any commercially available powders that vary that much but always be careful what you are doing and don't expect too many things to be set in stone. -- Bill --

This is a situation where ignition characteristics are completely different between two different powders. This is a reason to be cautious when choosing between two powders on the charts which are next to each other. ... felix

pdawg_shooter
04-28-2012, 11:20 AM
i use aa5 and herco interchangably for loads in handguns.

I have found Herco just a tad bit slower than #5. I reduce my Herco loads 2% when I use #5. BTW, #5 is my favorite in a 45ACP, with all bullet weights.

BCB
04-29-2012, 09:45 AM
I recently have been working with the 452490 boolit in my Blackhawk 45 Colt…

9.5 gains of Unique = 873 fps…

10.0 grains of AA#5 = 759 fps…

So, that indicates to me that AA#5 is slower, at least in this application…

But, many burn-rate charts don’t show this to be the case…

Good-luck…BCB

stubshaft
04-30-2012, 07:22 AM
I usually use AA #5 in place of Unique because it meters better and the burn rate is just a hair slower.

redneckdan
04-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I am looking for a 44spl Skeeter load duplication using AA5 instead of Unique. Anyone out there got some data?

zack
04-30-2012, 12:15 PM
I usually use AA #5 in place of Unique because it meters better and the burn rate is just a hair slower.

That's why I'm wanting to change. Unique's just a bit on the fast side for what I'm doing but the big reason it that on a humid day my Hornady measure will hold back on one case and overfill the next. AA #5 looks like a good alternative and I've heard it meters well. Zack

dla
04-30-2012, 12:32 PM
That's why I'm wanting to change. Unique's just a bit on the fast side for what I'm doing but the big reason it that on a humid day my Hornady measure will hold back on one case and overfill the next. AA #5 looks like a good alternative and I've heard it meters well. Zack

AA#5 is a squashed (flattened) ball powder. It will leak out of a lee perfect dispenser. It meters perfectly out of my dillon SDB. It is my favorite for 45acp.

As for burn speed, I believe it is slower than Unique. But I think AA#5's density is more important than burn speed. It is easy for me to spot it in a 45acp case and a double would be very apparent.

Pick up a pound and give it a try. If you want slower, there is AA#7 and #9 - both are squashed ball as well. The AA-series will cover you from 45acp to 44mag.

clum553946
10-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Anyone ever try AA#5 in a 30-30 reduced velocity cast load? I'm running out of Unique & can't find any, but have a bunch of #5.

FergusonTO35
10-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Accurate #5 is all I use in .38 Special. It spanks Unique in every category except price and availability.

Bonz
10-21-2014, 02:12 PM
this is the most current Burn Rate chart that I have found, has all the powders that I use on it

https://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

UNIQUEDOT
10-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Clum I have burned a few pounds of #5 over the years. I even still have have a little of the old #5 in the back of the shelf. I have always liked it as it meters so well, but in larger volume cases I still prefer unique. I actually prefer unique in Evey applicable load where #5 fits, but it Meters so well I usually use it in small cases such as .380. I have however used it in just about everything at one time or another and it is a fantastic powder. I'm not really sure about position sensitivity with it though.

clum553946
10-22-2014, 01:27 AM
Thank you for the reply, I was a little concerned about position sensitivity!

Clum I have burned a few pounds of #5 over the years. I even still have have a little of the old #5 in the back of the shelf. I have always liked it as it meters so well, but in larger volume cases I still prefer unique. I actually prefer unique in Evey applicable load where #5 fits, but it Meters so well I usually use it in small cases such as .380. I have however used it in just about everything at one time or another and it is a fantastic powder. I'm not really sure about position sensitivity with it though.