PDA

View Full Version : Dillon powder measure?

mellonhead
04-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Can I get a Dillon powder measure to work on a RCBS progressive press? Thanks.

Toby

Walt
04-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Hey Toby,
Member "Dave from Flowery Branch Ga." does it. He is a good guy he'll get you squared away on that.
Walt

mellonhead
04-21-2012, 01:18 PM
I was not sure if there was any linkage that went between the press and the powder measure. I think it will work if it is just case activated. I have zero experience with Dillon's equipment.

Toby

Walt
04-21-2012, 02:34 PM
New Dillon measures (non 450) are case activated but have fail safe systems that should be connected also.

Walt
04-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I was not sure if there was any linkage that went between the press and the powder measure. I think it will work if it is just case activated. I have zero experience with Dillon's equipment.

Toby

Hey Toby,
I just did a search here for "rcbs 2000" and pictures of Daves press with a Dillon measure is shown. He does not have the fail safe rod connected. If you keep an eye on it I assume you are good to go? I've never used one that way but I consider them good measures for their intended purpose. Big stick powder can be a problem but small stick, ball, or flake powders meter very well. To do what Dave is doing all you need is a Dillon powder die and the appropriate powder funnel. I should point out that the measure Dave is using is an old style, 550/650 I believe, which uses return springs on the powder bar.
Walt

Roundnoser
04-21-2012, 03:32 PM
I have a Dillon powder measure on my CH Autochamp. It doesn't have the fail safe mechanism...just a small springs that go around the measure and powder bar so the bar can return between throws . It works just fine.

Dan Cash
04-21-2012, 03:43 PM
The Dillon measure will work on any standard press. Some of the 10 or 12 Dillon measures that I have were encumbered by the lawyer linkages. I have dismantled the linkages and let the case activation do its job. Has not missed a lick since 1989.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Toby,

The Dillon 550/650 powder measures, regardless of the year of manufacture, are basically the same powder measure. The mechanical linkages have been changed some over the years, but all of them work the same. Recent years, like Dan said, have the "lawyer linkage." I don't use the lawyer linkage, neither does Dan.

To set it up on any progressive, you need a Dillon powder die and the appropriate powder funnel for the caliber you're reloading for. You will also need two springs to operate the press. Older measures come with them. I'm not sure if the current measures do or not. The two springs operate the press the way it was designed originally and very similar to the way a Lee Pro Auto Disk operates with it's spring.

If the powder measure you buy comes with the springs, you're good to go. Just put the safety linkage aside and use the powder measure as it was originally designed to operate. If the powder measure you buy does not come with the springs, simply call Dillon and order a pair.

I thought I had the part number for the springs, but I can't find it right now. My apologies.

I hope this helps,

Dave