PDA

View Full Version : turning vaquero barrel

monge
04-21-2012, 10:21 AM
has eneyone made barrel vise my vaquero shoots a little to the right thinking about turning the barrel to adjust. What do you guys think? Thanks Joe :Fire:

Wolfer
04-23-2012, 10:22 PM
My barrel vise is a rectangle welded up of 3" angle iron. Don't know the exact size but it's big enough to hold a couple 3" thick oak blocks with a half moon rasped into both with a 8 ton jack on top. With a little rosin on the blocks and a three foot cheater on my action wrench I can break down mauser barrels.

That being said, my Vaq when new shot a little right. About 2" at 20 yds. With the barrel in a lead lined vise and a short wooden Dow rod I bent the front sight a little left. They bend really easy. As the gun broke in I had to bend the sight a little right. Barely noticeable when looking down the barrel. After several hundred rds I ended up with the sight straight up where its stayed ever since.

I don't know if this is common.

dmize
04-23-2012, 11:09 PM
From my personal experience with 5 Vaqueros,just bend the sight. I cut block out of hard maple, rosined and pinched the barrel in a 20 ton press untill the wood started crushing and that blasted barrel still slipped.

Bren R.
04-24-2012, 09:41 AM
... or just file the rear sight.

Bren R.

rockrat
04-26-2012, 09:55 AM
If the gun shoots to the right, you will need to move the front sight to the right. Opposite of what you do with a rear sight.

If you turn the barrel, you will actually have to loosen it a bit.

deltaenterprizes
04-27-2012, 08:32 PM
If the gun shoots to the right, you will need to move the front sight to the right. Opposite of what you do with a rear sight.

If you turn the barrel, you will actually have to loosen it a bit.

I think you have that backwards, you move the REAR sight in the direction you want the group to move, the FRONT sight is opposite.