PDA

View Full Version : Billinghurst rifle

Tatume
04-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Hello Folks,

I've become interested in having a take-down muzzleloading rifle built, and one of the designs that I've looked at is the Billinghurst. From appearances, the barrel to receiver connection doesn't look very stout, but I've never examined such a rifle. Is anybody here familiar with the Billinghurst?

Can anybody tell me about other designs for take-down rifles?

Thanks, Tom

http://www.aaawt.com/html/firearms/f334.html

http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs2cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=6844522.13941&p_id=36530&xm=on

Shooter
04-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Hopkins and Allen used a tapered pin, Deer Creek used 3 set screws. Both work fine.

tacklebury
04-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Hasn't been a lot of action here lately, but you might check out the underhammer blog. I have gotten a lot of good info and ideas there. ;)

http://underhammers.blogspot.com/

Omnivore
04-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Hmm. Well, the 24" barrel on my plain old Lyman Deerstalker is roughly the same length as the halfstock. One barrel key holds it together. I suppose you could call it a "takedown" rifle, eh? Pretty much the same with any halfstocked, hooked breech rifle, though many have two barrel keys. Tap, pull, tap, pull and it's "taken down". So now it's a matter of the carrying case, more than anything.

The simplicity of the underhammer designs is interesting, and they don't rely on a huge cavity (lock mortise) in the stock, which weakens the stock. Ever notice how many of the antique sidelock guns have cracked stocks, in the area of the lock/wrist?

Tatume
04-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Actually, no. If you routinely dismantle and transport a hooked-breech rifle you run a very good chance of developing a crack on the sides of the barrel channel. The wood is very thin, and the grain runs lengthwise, making a weak area that is supported by the barrel itself. I would not consider a hooked-breech half-stock rifle to be a take-down rifle.

Mk42gunner
04-21-2012, 09:51 PM
There have been several threads in the past regarding underhammers, but I don't recall any that mentioned the Billinghust specifically. You might search for "underhammer" and see what comes up.

Robert

John Taylor
04-22-2012, 12:04 PM
On one of the muzzle loading forums there was some conversation about the action kit from muzzle loader builder having been stolen from the inventor. I don't remember the whole story except the casting company went out of business and the molds that did not belong to them were sold. The owner could not get them back and so all the kits are considered stolen by several builders. I have built two of the kits into rifle before I got the info. You will need some machine tools to do the job right. For me it is easier to make one from scratch than use the casting. I do buy the hammer and triggers from Deer Creek(765-525-6181), they are the same as the old H&A.

bob208
04-23-2012, 09:19 PM
i use my h&a underhammer as a take down and a switch barrel rifle. the face of the action and the breach of the barrel must be square. if not they will not draw up the same each time with the taper pin. although if the both sights are on the barrel then it should not make a difference. but it does show good workmanship.

other makers of breakaway rifles.

horace warner under hammers
norman brockway under hammers and side locks
george ferris sidelocks