PDA

View Full Version : "Your eyes are better".......???!!!

bcp477
04-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Finally stopped putting it off......and visited my eye doctor recently. I'm 51 now, with the usual age-related issues, plus cancer, plus RA. So, I guess I expected to hear that I'd be blind sometime soon (to go along with dead sometime in the next 3 years as my oncologist says) ....or something like that. Heck, why break up the set ?

Oddly enough, my eyes are the only thing working for me, at this point ! I do have presbyopia, like most people my age, so my distance vision has actually IMPROVED ! But, focus at close and intermediate distances is a problem. My old eyeglass prescription is now a bit too strong. The doctor carefully went through the process of working out a new prescription for progressives......calibrated for close, middle and distance vision.

Eureka ! I can SEE ! My vision is correctable to 20/20...... I NEVER would have thunk it. It's a miracle ! (Or, at least, a pretty good thing in my book.)

Anyway, I took up handgun shooting about a year ago....so, needless to say, I've been having trouble with the sights. Now, absolute clarity ! I just shot a perfect score in my CC class. I mean perfect - every round in the X-ring - one big, ragged 2" hole for 47 shots.

What the heck does this have to do with MILITARY RIFLES ?.....you might ask. Simple. My old, beloved Yugo M48 sporter, which for years has sported a 4x LER scope mounted ahead of the receiver.....is going BACK to IRON SIGHTS ! I've never much liked scopes anyway, despite their particular advantages. Years ago, I worked out a somewhat unique iron sight "system" for my rifle......consisting of a rear U-notch sight with a FRONT aperture. This allowed me to look THROUGH the sights - and focus on the target beyond. It worked very well. Since I have eyes again - by gosh - I'm going back to THAT system !

I might actually enjoy shooting the old girl again....once I get that ugly telescope off of her......that just spoils her looks and balance. Like a wart on the face of a lovely girl - a little surgery - and voila !!!

Old age (and impending death) ain't so bad, after all. I'm having more fun that I have had in years !

littlejack
04-21-2012, 04:24 PM
bcp477:
May our Lord in heaven bless you sir. Amen
I too have the vision problem. Blurry sights or blurry target. It all depends on how I tip my
head when lookin down the sights.
I need to go in and see about getting my glasses prescription updated. I will use your
information to relate to my optomotrist.
Jack

Bret4207
04-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Dang man! I admire your attitude. God bless you. Now go shooting!

303Guy
04-23-2012, 06:01 AM
I'm with Bret4207.
Dang man! I admire your attitude. God bless you. Now go shooting!

I've also got presbitarianism. I had a slight stigmatism in my right which has now gone. I've always had good vision until that stigmatism came on and even then. But up close in poor light - no chance at all! I just wear cheap reading glasses from the dollar store. All I need really. I can't text without them.

Hey bcp477, may you beat these things and have a long life of shooting and beer drinking before you. All the best! :drinks:

Just Duke
04-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Finally stopped putting it off......and visited my eye doctor recently. I'm 51 now, with the usual age-related issues, plus cancer, plus RA. So, I guess I expected to hear that I'd be blind sometime soon (to go along with dead sometime in the next 3 years as my oncologist says) ....or something like that. Heck, why break up the set ?

Oddly enough, my eyes are the only thing working for me, at this point ! I do have presbyopia, like most people my age, so my distance vision has actually IMPROVED ! But, focus at close and intermediate distances is a problem. My old eyeglass prescription is now a bit too strong. The doctor carefully went through the process of working out a new prescription for progressives......calibrated for close, middle and distance vision.

Eureka ! I can SEE ! My vision is correctable to 20/20...... I NEVER would have thunk it. It's a miracle ! (Or, at least, a pretty good thing in my book.)

Anyway, I took up handgun shooting about a year ago....so, needless to say, I've been having trouble with the sights. Now, absolute clarity ! I just shot a perfect score in my CC class. I mean perfect - every round in the X-ring - one big, ragged 2" hole for 47 shots.

What the heck does this have to do with MILITARY RIFLES ?.....you might ask. Simple. My old, beloved Yugo M48 sporter, which for years has sported a 4x LER scope mounted ahead of the receiver.....is going BACK to IRON SIGHTS ! I've never much liked scopes anyway, despite their particular advantages. Years ago, I worked out a somewhat unique iron sight "system" for my rifle......consisting of a rear U-notch sight with a FRONT aperture. This allowed me to look THROUGH the sights - and focus on the target beyond. It worked very well. Since I have eyes again - by gosh - I'm going back to THAT system !

I might actually enjoy shooting the old girl again....once I get that ugly telescope off of her......that just spoils her looks and balance. Like a wart on the face of a lovely girl - a little surgery - and voila !!!

Old age (and impending death) ain't so bad, after all. I'm having more fun that I have had in years !

I feel for you sir.