PDA

View Full Version : Longrange revolver sights?

mellonhead
04-20-2012, 09:16 PM
All you guys that like shooting your revolvers at long range with iron sights. What front sight set up do you prefer? I have a a couple of Dave Clements front sights for on a couple FA's. One has one gold bar and the other has two. I have been shooting my Freedom Arms 500 WE and was getting ready to give Dave a call for another of his sights and was just wondering what the rest of you guys liked. Here is a pic of the one with 2 bars.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/mellonhead1973/000_0091.jpg

Toby

bigboredad
04-20-2012, 09:18 PM
what are the bars made of and what do you think of that set up

mellonhead
04-20-2012, 09:28 PM
They call them gold bars, but I think they are brass. I really like this style front sight. It has the sloped face which lets it come out of a holster nice. It is still straight enough to allow a very good sight picture. The bars are pretty cool to once you get used to using them. Typically the top bar is right on at 350 yards with it held level with the top of the rear sight. Now right on is a very relative term here!!!

Toby

bigboredad
04-20-2012, 09:31 PM
that sounds pretty cool.I'm not sure if I could hit anything at 350 yards maybe a car:razz:

mellonhead
04-20-2012, 09:37 PM
With a little practice you would be suprised. I used to think the same thing and now it is one of my favorite types of shooting.

Toby

white eagle
04-20-2012, 10:19 PM
I would like that sight as well
but for me at this point in time a 100 yds is a long long way

44man
04-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Regulate your loads and they work great. I did that like Elmer did long ago. I first found what shot best, then used tape on the sight to determine elevation before inlaying silver wire.
Us old timers have a problem now but they really worked when your eyeballs were not laying in the dust. [smilie=1:

Mk42gunner
04-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Back when I could see, I just counted down the number of grooves on the front sight and used the same one until I was sure I needed to go up or down a line.

I have used the front of the ejection port even with the top of the rear sight on a SIG 220 to get enough elevation, so the bars on the front sight have always seemed kind of superfluous to me.

Of course now I don't have anywhere that I can safely plink out ot eight or nine hundred yards so it is a moot point.

Robert

ole 5 hole group
04-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Depending upon how good your eyesight is - I'd recommend you have Dave thin that front sight down to 0.100" - it might help a little at long range and I don't think Dave charges extra for the thin blade - but he'll charge for those "brass" bars like they were gold.

mellonhead
04-21-2012, 12:17 PM
I have tried a .1 front sight. I like the .125 better. I think the last one I got it was $10 for each bar.

Toby

subsonic
04-21-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't shoot past 100yards, simply because there is no place available to me.

I like the 4 position front sight on my S&W 686. It is currently set for 25, 50, and 100yds with the last setting "optimistic" for a longer place to shoot. It works, is repeatable, and is very simple while allowing for a standard sight picture. I bought an extra one of these sights, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. You might look at the Aristocrat PPC multi-position sights. There are also other, less common brands of the same style.

Lloyd Smale
04-21-2012, 05:05 PM
just about all the sixgun and fiveguns i shoot long range are set up just like yours with a clements blade with on or two bars. I havent found anything better.
All you guys that like shooting your revolvers at long range with iron sights. What front sight set up do you prefer? I have a a couple of Dave Clements front sights for on a couple FA's. One has one gold bar and the other has two. I have been shooting my Freedom Arms 500 WE and was getting ready to give Dave a call for another of his sights and was just wondering what the rest of you guys liked. Here is a pic of the one with 2 bars.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/mellonhead1973/000_0091.jpg

Toby

subsonic
04-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Back when I could see, I just counted down the nuber of grooves on the front sight and used the same one until I was sure I needed to go up or down a line.

Robert

There are grooves? :shock::oops:

Wolfer
04-21-2012, 08:06 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

Mk42gunner
04-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

Guys, I said and I quote, "Back when I could see." Nowadays I would just about have to have the bars if I was going to shoot multiple hundred yards.

Elmer Kieth was right; long range is the test of consistent loads. And it is a lot easier to see impacts on bare, dry ground. Dry lake beds in Nevada were great for long range plinking.

Robert

mellonhead
04-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks guys. It looks like another Clements sight needs ordered.

Toby

beagle
04-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Nothing like a large open dusty field for some long range shooting with a .357, .44 Mag or even a .30 Carbine Ruger. I don't make small groups but it sure is fun trying.

I really enjoyed the old S & W M29 Sillouhette rig with the 4 position front but I got tired of lugging around that 10 5/8" barrel./beagle

44man
04-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Nothing like a large open dusty field for some long range shooting with a .357, .44 Mag or even a .30 Carbine Ruger. I don't make small groups but it sure is fun trying.

I really enjoyed the old S & W M29 Sillouhette rig with the 4 position front but I got tired of lugging around that 10 5/8" barrel./beagle
I had three of those S&W's but never got the front sight to work and each gun was different. I would go up and shots would hit too high and the other way around, never seemed to follow. There was no way to sight in each position. I just left it and used the rear sight.
TC came out with one and it was real junk, went away fast. The sights were $65. I sent mine back and they gave me all kinds of stuff for a replacement. Got a great shoulder holster I still use too.