PDA

View Full Version : "Working up a load" What's that mean?

Wilsknife
04-20-2012, 08:02 PM
How does one 'work up a load? Where do you start? I have some boolits I'd like to use in my 380, but they are .09-1.5" taller that other boolits of the same weight.
Your thoughts and comments are appreciated .[smilie=f:
:cbpour:

Wilsknife
04-20-2012, 08:11 PM
TYPO > 0.9-.15" Taller

oneokie
04-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Boolit weights would be more helpful in giving you advice.

Wilsknife
04-20-2012, 08:21 PM
95-120 gn

jonas302
04-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Start at the starting load in your book or 10 percent under max "work up the load" until you obtain accuracy or come to the top end most accurate loads are found under the max pressure

Wilsknife
04-21-2012, 12:13 AM
How does bullet length affect things?

Larry Gibson
04-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Might try reading a reloading manual. There is a wealth of information contained in the better ones. That information will provide the how and the why to "working up loads".

Larry Gibson

rhead
04-21-2012, 08:05 AM
How does bullet length affect things?

It will effect the feeding and function. I would suggest making up a few dummy loads to ensure proper feeding.

Bwana
04-21-2012, 10:18 AM
My question is how do you have 88 posts here and still ask that question? Larry's suggestion is a good one.

Wilsknife
04-23-2012, 09:09 PM
My question is how do you have 88 posts here and still ask that question? Larry's suggestion is a good one.

I did that. None of the loading manuals deal with boolit length and load work ups. I'm just looking for suggestions, not rude comments.
:castmine:

Jim
04-23-2012, 09:12 PM
What manuals do you have?

Wilsknife
04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Lyman, Lyman Pistol/Revolver, Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, Lee 2nd Ed, ABC's of Reloading and an old Hodgdon powder book are in my library. Have borrowed Speer and Hornady from the library.

Jim
04-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Lyman, Lyman Pistol/Revolver, Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, Lee 2nd Ed, ABC's of Reloading and an old Hodgdon powder book are in my library. Have borrowed Speer and Hornady from the library.

I have the two manuals I have highlighted and underlined in your text. I just looked at those two books. The answers you are asking for are there.

Hardcast416taylor
04-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Working up a load for any given cartridge means just that, working UP to a load that safisifies you for accuracy as well as functioning. Pick a powder from a loading manual for a particular bullet weight. Start at the lowest listing load for that combination. Load 5 or 6 shells and test fire them. If not happy with this load increase the powder charge 1 tenth of a grain weight of powder (.1) and test again. As I said before continue this process till you find a load that meets your critera. You may have to try more than afew powders and even more than afew different make of primers to reach your goal. As I don`t load for the .380 I can`t give you any loads to try. Good luck.Robert

waksupi
04-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Looked like a good answer, to me.

atr
04-25-2012, 07:35 PM
to me working up a load means finding the right combination of boolit wt. size and powder charge for a consistant accurate load.

Wilsknife
04-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Thank you atr :-)

Wilsknife
04-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys I truly appreciate it. I asked a similar question elsewhere and one 'being' that responded has been very rude to this rookie. I've only been loading about a year and a half and still have tons to learn.

"Knowledge is increased one simple question at a time" - Wil

Larry Gibson
04-25-2012, 10:51 PM
The Lyman #49 Reloading Manual and the 3rd edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (need to check used sources as it is out of print) will be of great value to you to learn the basics and as references into the distant future.

Larry Gibson

looseprojectile
04-26-2012, 05:13 PM
You don't have to work up a load for the 380.
I have not loaded the 380 and if I do I would select a load from any loading manual that is in the middle of the road for that boolit to start with. Then you can adjust up or down according to what you need.
The length of the boolit determines the weight and the weight and length determines the powder space in the cartridge.
The more you reduce the powder space by using a longer boolit the more pressure you will experience.
All loading manuals have the maximum over all length listed with each boolit along with minimum and maximum powder charges for each one. Seat them shorter and pressure goes up. Sometimes too much.
By choosing the powder burning rate and weight that fits your boolit length and weight you will have a balance of pressure and velocity that works in your gun.
380s are pricey little devils, aren't they?

Life is good

wv109323
04-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Most have already hit the nail on the head. The first consideration is to make sure the loaded round fits into the magazine. The maximum COL for the .380 is listed at .984" so any loaded rounds must be that length or slightly shorter. COL may have a direct relation on whether the pistol will feed a round into the chamber correctly. Others have already mentioned that COl affects the pressure.
The second consideration is to make sure that the loaded round will function the intended firearm. That includes ejecting the spent case,picking up a new round and putting it in the chamber, and locking the slide back on the last round.
With that said, the three main factors that you must balance are powder,bullet weight and the stiffness of the recoil spring. You probably don't want to mess with the recoil spring so that leaves two.
Powder will be determined by what is suitable for the cartridge and the amount in grains used( and to a lesser amount what you have on hand to load it with). It is a good practice to use a powder that fills over 50% of the case. The reason for that if by some happenstance you double charge a case the powder will more than fill the case and the problem spotted immediately by the over run of powder.
The bullet weight is determined mostly by personal choice. A hollow point may be given more considerstion if the gun is going to be used in a self defence situation. For plinking you may want a lighter bullet that has less recoil.
The bullet weight and powder charge determine the energy of the fired bullet and the energy to operate the recoil spring. Like I said before that is a balancing act.
I would get a couple of reloading manuals and determine the recipe that I would like to try. Never rely on one manual. I personally would start with a powder charge half way between minimum and maximum. I would load five rounds and try them. Never load up a vast quanity to try because they might not function the pistol. Observe the fired brass for pressure signs, felt recoil, and pistol functioning. If unsatisfactory adjust the variables( powder and bullets) until you are satisfied.
One more thing ,keep records of what you do. There is no need to fall in the same pit twice.
The next parameter is accuracy. You will need to adjust components until you are satified with the accuracy of your reload.

Wilsknife
04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Thank you! I feel confident that MOST folks on here are helping for all of us to be safer reloaders/CB shooters.:cbpour:[smilie=s:

Most have already hit the nail on the head. The first consideration is to make sure the loaded round fits into the magazine. The maximum COL for the .380 is listed at .984" so any loaded rounds must be that length or slightly shorter. COL may have a direct relation on whether the pistol will feed a round into the chamber correctly. Others have already mentioned that COl affects the pressure.
The second consideration is to make sure that the loaded round will function the intended firearm. That includes ejecting the spent case,picking up a new round and putting it in the chamber, and locking the slide back on the last round.
With that said, the three main factors that you must balance are powder,bullet weight and the stiffness of the recoil spring. You probably don't want to mess with the recoil spring so that leaves two.
Powder will be determined by what is suitable for the cartridge and the amount in grains used( and to a lesser amount what you have on hand to load it with). It is a good practice to use a powder that fills over 50% of the case. The reason for that if by some happenstance you double charge a case the powder will more than fill the case and the problem spotted immediately by the over run of powder.
The bullet weight is determined mostly by personal choice. A hollow point may be given more considerstion if the gun is going to be used in a self defence situation. For plinking you may want a lighter bullet that has less recoil.
The bullet weight and powder charge determine the energy of the fired bullet and the energy to operate the recoil spring. Like I said before that is a balancing act.
I would get a couple of reloading manuals and determine the recipe that I would like to try. Never rely on one manual. I personally would start with a powder charge half way between minimum and maximum. I would load five rounds and try them. Never load up a vast quanity to try because they might not function the pistol. Observe the fired brass for pressure signs, felt recoil, and pistol functioning. If unsatisfactory adjust the variables( powder and bullets) until you are satisfied.
One more thing ,keep records of what you do. There is no need to fall in the same pit twice.
The next parameter is accuracy. You will need to adjust components until you are satified with the accuracy of your reload.

captaint
04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Wils - the only thing I can add is read, read, read. The better loading manuals. When I started, a lot of years ago, I began at the front of the book and went from there. It's all in there.. I probably read it 2 or 3 times. My first good one was Speer #9. I still go back to it once in a while. enjoy Mike