PDA

View Full Version : Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

TCTex
04-20-2012, 07:08 PM
I have a wonderful 15in TC Enocre 414 Super Mag barrel. I took it out about a month ago and shot a MOA with a 8 shot group using a Hornady 210 XTP. Needless to say I have a shooter. Now here is where the trouble began.

:cry:

I purchased a 255 Ranch Dog bullet mold last week and decided to give it a spin. Just like my other 5 RD molds it was awesome. I cast around 100 “good bullets” and life was good. When I seated a dummy round in the dies I set the bullet to the crimp line and stuck it in the chamber to see where things needed to be adjusted. Well ok, the chamber was a tad short but gave nice clean lines all the way around the bullet from the rifling. I had to trim the brass .015 inches to seat a bullet properly, not a big deal I know that Hornady does the same thing with some of their 45-70 ammo. But after sizing the bullet to .411 I am still having to force the round in and out of the chamber. If I sized to 410 would there be a significant improvement? I don’t want to size too small but if the chamber is that tight would it be worth it. If the barrel didn’t shoot so well I would already be thinking of sending it to SSK or MGM and having them tweak it and setting the chamber to accept the 255 bullet.

:violin:

What would ya’ll do in this situation? Any recommendations or suggestions? Honestly, I would almost buy another barrel than mess with the current one that is shooting a 210 at a confirmed 2100fps as accurately as this one does… The flip side is that I want to shoot cast in this one because it would really make the chambering shine and take it to another platform IMHO. I feel like I am at a crossroad…

:???:

Duane

waksupi
04-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Just size the bullet down further. If you are forcing the cartridge in, you would create some high pressures you don't want.

TCTex
04-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Just size the bullet down further. If you are forcing the cartridge in, you would create some high pressures you don't want.

Tracking and THANK YOU!

I will order a .410 sizer…

Combat Diver
04-21-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't have the 414 but do have a TC Contender 14" .41 mag and the Ranch Dog TL411-255-RF (plain base model). I can only shot that bullet unsized in my Marlin 1894S (.411). My other guns (TC, Blackhawk & M58) all require that I size them to .410. I tumble lube mine and use the Lee sizer. Love the accuracy with the bullet and took it bear hunting this past season. The bears didn't want to cooprate with me unfortunitly.

CD

TCTex
04-26-2012, 01:01 PM
I got my .410 today and ran the 255 RD bullets I already had sized at .411 threw the .410 sizer. Loaded up a dummy round and it fit perfectly in the chamber! This is a BIG relieve for me as much as I wanted to shoot cast in this barrel. :castmine:

My thanks and appreciation goes out to the both of you Combat Driver and Waksupi!!!:drinks:

Duane

leftiye
04-28-2012, 03:17 AM
Let us know if it shoots! Did you ever slug the barrel?

TCTex
04-30-2012, 07:51 PM
I will keep yall up to date, it will be a little while before I will be able to get out to the range...

selmerfan
05-01-2012, 08:43 AM
leftiye beat me to the question - did you slug your barrel? This will tell you for certain what's going on. Drive a SOFT lead (I lube with bullplate) into the throat/lead area, then drive it back out. Then drive another slug (lubed) all the way through to the muzzle. Compare measurements on the two with a good micrometer to get your barrel specs. Sounds like .411" might be oversize for your barrel anyway. As for crimping, I don't crimp in my Encore barrels that one would normally crimp heavily, such as .357 Max or .454 Casull. I seat the boolit out into the lands, serving as the resistance to ensure good powder ignition. This way I also don't have to worry about perfect case length consistency as long as it's all under the maximum, though I do trim regularly when necessary.

Combat Diver
05-01-2012, 10:12 AM
TCTex,

Sounds great, let us know how it shoots!!!!

CD

TCTex
05-01-2012, 06:47 PM
To be honest I haven’t slugged the barrel. I only set up to use Lee sizers. I have done really well with them so far. I am using the 311 with my 10in 30 Herrett and it is shooting sub ½ groups at 50 yards with a Lee 120 gr RN and Lee Alox lube utilizing 4227 as a propellant.

I guess what I am trying to say I have had better luck with over sizing bullets. Not being able to chamber the 255 RD in the 414, I bought the 410 sizer…