PDA

View Full Version : Percussion Revolver Without Rifling

Good Cheer
04-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Anyone ever used or seen a percussion revolver without rifling?

Omnivore
04-20-2012, 05:53 PM
No, but I've thought about getting another barrel for a Colt and reaming out the rifling for a try at pistol trap shooting. Might be than some of the pepperbox revolvers were smooth.

04-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Never heard of one in C&B. Possibility some were made by CSA as an expendiency during the war??? There are few legitimate original cartridge revolvers around like various Colt SAAs that were used in "Wild West" shows and stadium shows where shot cartridges were used for thrown targets.... even in indoor arenas. If it's a recent, on-purpose manufacture or modification, the only possibility I know of would be for use in the horseback shooting course that is kind of a spin-off of the cowboy action shooting game. Most of those shooters use cartridge revolvers though.

Good Cheer
04-21-2012, 10:07 AM
The only one I ever saw was in north Alabama, in 1989, a beautifully crafted stainless .410 with 12" barrel and about 3 1/2" long cylinder that had been modeled on the 1858 Remington.
The machinist wouldn't sell it.

04-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Hmmm. Still trying to think of a reason they would have been made, from historical perspective or from a more recent practical one. As a short range shot shooter they'd probably work fine. But, since a single ball wouldn't be patched, don't know how well a bare roundball down the smooth bore would work- again a short range type thing. Maybe a little better if shooting a specially designed, deep hollow based "minie" type conical?- something like a miniature shotgun slug. Then again, any examples might be more of a one-of-a-kind novelty??

Good Cheer
04-21-2012, 02:42 PM
The machinist said it hit great with round ball. I don't doubt him at all. And that it was an excellent .410 shotgun pistol.
And I still wish he would have sold it to me.

04-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Given the sheer number of C&Bs made since the 70s there should be a bunch out there with trashed bores and just sitting in closets waiting for the right bargain buyer. Would be very easy to ream the lands off and open the cylinders slightly if needed.

Good Cheer
04-21-2012, 09:01 PM
.36 1858's could work.

Nobade
04-22-2012, 10:01 PM
The machinist said it hit great with round ball. I don't doubt him at all. And that it was an excellent .410 shotgun pistol.
And I still wish he would have sold it to me.

I can just imagine the fun you would have with BATFE trying to get that thing to be legal.

But since C&B revolvers aren't firearms, I suppose making one of those a smoothbore would be OK. You wouldn't want to be involved in making a short barreled shotgun without the official blessing...

PanaDP
04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Might be than some of the pepperbox revolvers were smooth.

The few pepperboxes I've seen had no rifling.

rgbai
04-23-2012, 10:16 PM
My Manhattan pepper box has no rifling. i also had a 7mm pinfire revolver that was a smooth bore.