PDA

View Full Version : Boolit too fat for seater die

Ickisrulz
04-19-2012, 10:55 PM
What is the standard procedure for a die that is too skinny for a fat cast boolit?

338 Win Mag....RCBS die. Cast boolit is sized at .340. It is much more blunt that the more tapered jacketed bullets.

Right now I have the die backed almost all the way out of the press and the stem screwed almost all the way in. This works OK for one of my boolits, but not another.

wallenba
04-19-2012, 11:02 PM
I had the same problem with seating my .334 oversized boolit for my 8x56r M95. I checked the reloading book diagrams for a cartridge that used a bigger boolit, was wide enough and not too tall. I ended up ordering an RCBS Ruger Compact Magnum seater die (.338 dia.). Perhaps you can find one that will work for you. Drilling it out is not going to happen...hard.

MtGun44
04-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Fairly common with rifle dies, the are often fitted VERY closely to the j-bullet
diameter that is std and if you are using an oversized boolit (which is normal) some
will just not work.

Contact the die maker and ask for some help. They may hone it out for you or
you can do it yourself. It it has a floating sleeve, maybe you can get a second one
for boolits, with a larger hole.

Bill

04-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Hornady's Custom Grade New Dimension seater dies use a sliding sleeve to align the case mouth and boolit/bullet, during their trip up the die. The sleeve's hole is sized for jacketed bullets but is easily enlarged to accept fat-for-caliber cast boolits. I've done this to numerous older Lyman Precision Alignment and the newer Hornady dies.

Hot melt glue or JB Weld can be use to conform the seater stem to the boolit's nose, if need be.

frkelly74
04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
If it is the die making contact with the boolit that is pretty easy to hone out. I have done it with just a drill bit.

MtGun44
04-20-2012, 12:50 PM
A drill bit! Ouch!

That was a precision reamed and polished hole. Not any more.

Bill

Ickisrulz
04-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I sent RCBS an e-mail. I'll see what they say.

Ickisrulz
04-20-2012, 02:13 PM
RCBS has suggested a custom seater stem. I'm not so sure this will solve the problem since there is only so much clearance inside the die itself for the cartridge. It's pretty tight toward the top of the die.

C.F.Plinker
04-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Can you send them your die along with a sized case and a boolit so they can be sure it fits after they work on it?

Ickisrulz
04-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Can you send them your die along with a sized case and a boolit so they can be sure it fits after they work on it?

I sure can if they ask for it. I e-mailed them back and let them know I didn't think a new stem would solve the issue. I'm sure I'll hear back pretty soon.

DukeInFlorida
04-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Open the die, and remove the part that actually comes in contact with the bullet. Some dies have two ends to that component. One end allows contact with sharply pointed bullets, and the other end allows contact with blunt bullets.

Other companies sell replacement parts for the contact with the blunt bullets.

I've also made some of my own inserts for this purpose. Rotating the part in a drill motor, and sculpting the end with a Dremel tool will get the desired effect.

If all else fails, send your die assembly, along with a few of the bullets that you are trying to seat, and the die manufacturer will provide you with the proper parts. Expect some cost for that.

Ickisrulz
05-07-2012, 10:19 PM
I solved my problem by getting a Hornady New Dimension seater die. Fat boolits fit.

Char-Gar
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
There are several ways to get around the bullet seating die with the chamber too small for a cast bullets.

1. Hone out the offending die
2. Hunt up and old Lyman PA (Precision Alignment die) seating die as their seating chambers are big enough to accomidate cast bullets in that caliber.
3. Use custom hand seating dies (Wilson will make them)
4. I have several custom bullet seating sleeves for old Vickerman dies.

I have done all four.

Ickisrulz
05-10-2012, 11:26 AM
There are several ways to get around the bullet seating die with the chamber too small for a cast bullets.

1. Hone out the offending die
2. Hunt up and old Lyman PA (Precision Alignment die) seating die as their seating chambers are big enough to accomidate cast bullets in that caliber.
4. I have several custom bullet seating sleeves for old Vickerman dies.

I have done all four.

I thought about #1 and #3. But, I don't have the ability to hone out the die. I wasn't sure if the Wilson dies could be made to would work or not, but I don't have an arbor press so elected not to even contact Wilson.

I figured since the Hornady seater dies are caliber specific, but not cartridge specific there'd be enough room for the cartridge with cast bullets. I was correct. It was also the fastest and cheapest solution. I found a set on sale for $32.00. Plus I get a box of bullets with the "Get Loaded" rebate program Hornady is still running.

Char-Gar
05-10-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't have a arbor press either. I just whack the top of the seater with a rawhide mallet. I have measured the bullet before and after doing this so many times I know it works just fine.

r1kk1
05-11-2012, 09:10 AM

I have done all four.

I didn't know Wilson made custom seaters. I have Wilson dies for quite a few cartridges and a few wildcats. I knew they made custom trim dies.

Cool beans! Now for that 30BR cast boolit project!

r1kk1

jonk
05-11-2012, 09:20 AM
It's simple to lap or hone out an offending die.

1. Remove the decapper assembly.
2. Take a wooden dowel and make a slit at the end. Insert a piece of emery paper into the slit.
3. Insert in drill.
4. At medium speed, run in and out of the die a few times.
5. Try to lightly push a cast bullet through, unlubed. It shouldn't hang up at all, but you don't want any play side to side.
6. When there is just a LITTLE resistance, swap out the emery paper for fine grit sandpaper and go another 10-12 passes.
7. Clean your die with the solvent of your choice.

Job done. Start to finish, depending on how much material you need to remove, takes 5-10 minutes. With Lee dies as cheap as they are, I just ordered another set.

FWIW, I have done nothing but CURSE at my Hornady New Dimensions die with the floating seating sleeve. It always pulls out when trying to seat a fat bullet (though is no harder to open up than a regular die).

Char-Gar
05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
A few years back Wilson made me a custom bullet seating die in .308 Win. The nearest reamer they had to what I wanted was .3125, works just fine.

Since then I have my own lathe. I make hand seaters out of the chamber and a few inches of the barrel. I them ream the barrels to the size I want and I am good to go. Worn out, shot out and rusted out barrels can be had for the asking.