PDA

View Full Version : Boolit length - How does it affect loads?

Wilsknife
04-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm considering boolit options for my 380 loads. My best choice so far is the Lee 356-102 2 ogive, but it ONLY comes in a two cavity. I would like to get/find a 6-cavity in this boolit. I'm also considering the Lee 358-120 truncated cone, the 380 bullet from Ranch Dog, and I have a Lyman 4-cavity Truncated cone(107 gn w/Lino). I think the Lyman might work, but I'm leery of setting it to the right length for fear that it would compress a load that shouldn't be compressed.
Basically, I'd like to create boolits faster than the 2-cavity will allow.

Your thoughts, and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[smilie=b:

:cbpour:

303Guy
04-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Well, boolit length affects seating depth and or overall length. The boolit needs to be seated correctly, i.e. to some point that will stop the boolit from being pushed further into the case by recoil and/or being pulled out. That kinda sets the seating depth and overall length. Powder charge must be adjusted to suit the remaining case capacity and boolit weight. Powder selection is dictated to some extent by the available case volume and allowable chamber pressure. I'm not sure what loading tables are available on the internet besides jacketed load data. Try Hodgdon at http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp They only show jacketed for most cartridges but that's a good start.

Larry Gibson
04-21-2012, 08:58 AM
As 303Guy mentions it affects the seating depth, i.e. the case capacity in a small case like the .380. The .380 is limited in OAL by the magazine. Thus the longer bullet will be seated deeper in the case so the round will fit the magazine. That means if you switch to a longer bullet in that small case you should drop the powder charge and work back up to a proper and safe load. Add in addtional bullet weight and you must deop the powder charge even more or switch to another powder.

Larry Gibson