PDA

View Full Version : lyman 450 rebuild kit

ron2009
04-19-2012, 10:37 PM
i just got a lyman 450 but the all thread where the lube goes is missing, the plate at the bottom of the press where the all thread attaches is missing, the plunger that put pressure on the lube and the piece that sits on top are also missing i believe that these parts are available but i can't find them please help

dmize
04-19-2012, 10:48 PM
A "rebuild kit" is as close as the local parts store that handles Viton o rings,YOU need to get ahold of Lyman,or give your "new" 450 back to the person that gave it to you.

ron2009
04-19-2012, 10:52 PM
online deal and the guy will not resopnd to e-mails so just trying to make it work so it's not a total loss thank you for your time

dmize
04-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Im sorry this has happened to you. I would suggest getting ahold of Lyman. I have blown the orings out of the base plate the all thread runs thru a couple times in normal use,it is machined for a very tight fit, the ram that presses on the lube stick is also very tight tolerance with 2 o rings,the top piece is just a dust cover and serves no purpose in the lubrisizers operation. I sincerely appoligise if I came across a bit rude but I dont think there is a way you can make things work in a pinch that would be satisfactory,heater or not,soft lube or hard there is quite a bit of pressure especially on that bottom plug.

Mal Paso
04-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Here: http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page150.html

Most parts are common to all 3 versions.

Hardcast416taylor
04-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Here: http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page150.html

Most parts are common to all 3 versions.

Mal-Paso. You beat me to it with the parts site. On Lymans site a schematic is available of the luber.Robert

ron2009
04-20-2012, 08:54 PM
thank you guys i thought that i really got a bad deal but after seeing the parts prices i will be under cost of a new one once again thank you

Ausglock
04-21-2012, 06:57 AM
I have bought spare parts for my 450 from a Ebay seller. Dye4435

Good to deal with and ships fast.

He has all the bits you need.

NHGrumpyGramps
04-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Does the pressure nut (with O-ring) fit a Lyman 45? I have a couple of the 45's with the brass ring pressure nut. They always seem to leak and I thought about going to the O-ring style but not sure if it would work. How does the O-ring design work as far a leakage? I ususally end up with a big blob of lube on top of the nut which I have to load back into the cylinder.

Thanks,

imashooter2
04-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Does the pressure nut (with O-ring) fit a Lyman 45? I have a couple of the 45's with the brass ring pressure nut. They always seem to leak and I thought about going to the O-ring style but not sure if it would work. How does the O-ring design work as far a leakage? I ususally end up with a big blob of lube on top of the nut which I have to load back into the cylinder.

Thanks,

It does. The O ring style leaks considerably less.

NHGrumpyGramps
04-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Thank you for the information.

floydboy
05-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Is the handle upgrade really worth it. What is the advantage over the original handle....

454PB
05-22-2012, 04:00 PM
The "upgrade" handle has a single linkage made of cast steel rather than the two steel straps on the older style. The single centered handle has it's weaknesses too, mine broke right where the pivot hole is drilled. In my opinion, the hole is too close to the edge of the metal, and being a casting, is weaker. I made a new piece out of 1/4" steel and welded in as a replacement.

Hardcast416taylor
05-22-2012, 08:47 PM

Thanks,

This is the same piston nut assembly that was in an early 450 I got. I called Lyman about this and he got me set up with the new "O" ring nut and a new threaded rod. Haven`t had any lube slip by the new nut system.Robert

454PB
05-22-2012, 09:11 PM
My experience was the same.....I changed both my 450's to the newer O-ring style piston and they work far better than the old brass compression style.

MGySgt
05-23-2012, 01:59 PM
I have had a number of the Lyman 450 and 4500 - all of them leaked out the bottom.

What I did to fix it was take an old car inner tube and cut a patch that fit the bottom of the sizer luber and put that 'gasket' between the base of the luber sizer and the bench, bolted it down tight and no more leaking out the bottom.

If you use a heater - enough heat will pass through the gasket to warm the lube.

Worked for me.

Drew