PDA

View Full Version : Shot the Lehigh kit today!!!!

oldracer
04-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Went to the range for a few hours and fired 10 round balls down that 42 inch barrel. That sucker is so long I have trouble seeing the front sight but it works just fine. I used my laser bore sighter to get the sights sort of aligned and the side to side was spot on. As the dot showed on my neighbor's garage door (45 yds) the first shots hit where I expected at about 6 inches low at 50 yds. This was with 80 gns of FFG Goex and the first 3 were within 1.5 inches. I bumped the powder load to 85 then 90 and finally 95 gns and as expected the POI rose about and inch each time. I was holding over slightly and estimated that the front blade would need to loose about 50% of its height. I also tried a thicker patch so I could get a better seal with the 0.490 ball. That brought the shots up also.

I did cut the front blade after I got home so next week we'll see how it will respond.

Boerrancher
04-19-2012, 10:24 PM
That is great, I am glad that the preliminary tests seem to indicate that it is going to be an accurate rifle.

Best wishes,

Joe

DIRT Farmer
04-19-2012, 11:04 PM
There is no feeling in the world like lighting off the first rounds in a rifle you built.
Well there is getting the first game aniimal wirth it.