PDA

View Full Version : New to me Marlin

rollmyown
04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
I have just picked up a like new 39A from a local gunshop. It's a 2009 manufactured New Haven. I doesn't have JM stamped on the barrel nor the Remington stamp.

The finish of the rifle is excellent. It's even got some pretty good figure in the stock. All in all it's a great looking rifle.

I thought Id put a few rounds through it to give it a run. That's when it started to disappoint. It fails to spit the case out of the ejection port fairly regularly. Leaves no firing pin strike on the rim of one type of Winchester ammo at all. Another type has an occasional light strike (it fires less than half the time). The Remington ammo fires every time. (it mist have a thicker rim) and although it extracts from the chamber, the case does not always eject. Feeding is, shall we say, less than 100% reliable too.

I contacted a mate who knows these rifles well and he tells me it's not uncommon with regard the firing pin strike problem. He's sending me a new spring and some instructions to fix that.

There is no doubt in my mind the rifle should never have left the factory. Further, that the factory it came from has or had NO quality control measures in place worth a cup of cold water.

All I can say is WOW - not in a good way :(

ReloaderFred
04-19-2012, 07:56 PM
All .22 rifles are prone to fouling. If this rifle has been fired a lot, and not cleaned thoroughly, it could be gummed up inside. Take it apart and clean the heck out of it and see if that solves your problems.

I've seen many a .22 rifle that was cussed and hated by the owner that a simple cleaning took care of.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rollmyown
04-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Fred. This rifle is in new and almost unused condition. I'm pretty certain it was sold with next to no use because of woeful reliability

Found the problem is very common at Marlin Owners. There is also a sticky on the solution.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rimfire-teams-39a-stickies/31783-ammo-performance-39a-also-ftfire-fteject.html