PDA

View Full Version : bullet puller for boolits

soldierbilly1
04-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent one? I have the kinetic bang-bang but it is slow as heck. My other RCBS I use on the J-words, but they all say not recommended for Pb boolits. (Can this work on a Pb?)
If possible, I would like to not mash the boolit, but if Ihave to, I will. (they are 38 spl FWC's, just the button sticks up!!)
thanks

billy boy

ku4hx
04-19-2012, 06:06 PM
When my RCBS collet type doesn't work (rare for jacketed bullets) I use a pair of needle nose pliers across the top of my single stage press. Run the round up through the hole, grab with the pliers wire cutter and lower the round. All pulled cast boolits get melted and recast.

If you can't grab the boolit somehow, that leaves you using an inertial puller. For these, I think the cheapest you can get is the best buy.

oldandslow
04-19-2012, 07:05 PM
sb, 4/20/12

I've had to pull hundreds of bullets, both jacketed and lead. I use a kinetic puller and it works well, with 2-3 whacks if used with the appropriate anvil. Soft wood doesn't work well, sometimes not even hard wood. I've had the best results hitting an old bowling ball I got at Salvation Army for $2. I've also used steel bar in the past but cracked the puller at number 170. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Revolver
04-19-2012, 07:18 PM
With a kinetic puller I have shoved a square of foam into the bottom to cushion the bullet against deformation (soft nose bullets). I setup a cinderblock on its end and have a scrap of 1/2" steel plate on top that I strike.

geargnasher
04-19-2012, 07:31 PM
I use two different pullers, the one made in Marble Falls, Tx (can't remember the name, it's rebadged and sold under a variety of names), and one I got from Graf & sons, house brand, that comes with four different collets. Both of them will accept a regular press shellholder in place of the normal collet, so that speeds things up greatly. Like Revolver said, foam in the tip will save the boolit, and one of mine came with a rubber disc wedged in the bottom for this purpose.

I use a large block of lead to hit mine on, the trick is to swing with your wrist like cracking a coachwhip, not with your shoulder and elbow like a hammer. High velocity, low force and no follow-through will keep from breaking the puller.

[edit] The Graf's one is the smoke grey with the rubber grip and integrated plastic handle, the other one is a Quinetics puller. Both are excellent.

Gear

rogn
04-20-2012, 07:31 AM
For any bullet that the inertial puller is inappropriate , I use a pair of HD wire crimping pliers. I use the built in stripper jaws. Take dies out of press raise cartridge up towhere the sharp jaws bite into the olive, hold firmly, and raise press handle. Rairly is there more than small nick in the ogive. Bullets are reusable, accuracy not affected.

adrians
04-20-2012, 07:48 AM
i use the "hammer" when i need to get some pent-up frustration out with a piece of cloth in the bottom to save the boolits,
i have the Forster collet puller i use in my press this doohicky works great when you have it set up right , i find it very finnicky to get it just right when pulling PB boolits without buggering them up too bad.
Once it's up and running it is alot faster than the inertia type.
:coffeecom

Chicken Thief
04-20-2012, 07:59 AM
I like the Frankford Arsenal hammer because it uses the standard press shell holder, and uses bayonet lugs to clese.
Super fast.

John Boy
04-20-2012, 08:19 AM
I have the kinetic bang-bang but it is slow as heck.
It all depends on how you use a kinetic puller!
* Put a 1 lb lead ingot on the corner of the work bench
* Insert round in kinetic puller: 3-5 whacks on the lead ingot dislodges a light crimp bullet and 7-10 whacks dislodges a hard crimp bullet
* Loosen the collar ONLY- don't unscrew the collar from the chamber - turn on edge - tap on the lead ingot - case rim is exposed above collar - pull the case out WITHOUT having to unscrew the collar
* Insert next round (collar still attached to puller - tighten collar and continue
When one or more bullets & powder are in the chamber of the puller - unscrew the collar and tilt it so the collet is still in the collar - dump powder & bullets into a pan
Start over again

I can dislodge 2 bullets with a kinetic puller in less than 15-20 seconds. Compare the time pulling 2 bullets with a press mounted puller .... kinetic puller wins every time

It's all in the technique how a kinetic puller is used!

44man
04-20-2012, 08:23 AM
I use a hunk of oak 4x4 with mine. Much easier on the plastic.
Collet pullers do not work well on lead.
Just go with the flow, it is slow.

Dave C.
04-20-2012, 12:14 PM
For pulling full wad cutters that are seated flush.
Remove the decapper pin from your size die.
Run the rounds through the size die (a little lube helps).
Use your hammer type puller.
Toss the slugs in your (To be remelted can).
The slugs are too small to be reloaded.

Dave C.

KaliforniaRebel
04-20-2012, 01:43 PM
I also use the Frankford Arsenal puller. You can usually find them on Ebay for 20 bucks. The tips and tricks to keep it in one piece aren't to be ignored. I used to hit a log and pulled about 100 rounds until the end had broken off. [smilie=b:

Instead of buy another, I glued it back together, wrapped it up in multiple layers of fiberglass tape and use a rubber mat on that log now. Pulled another 50 rounds and it's still holding.