PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1892

richhodg66
04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
A local shop has one of these, complete and not beat on too bad. The bore looked OK. It has a long octagon barrel and is a .22 LR. They're asking price is $400, looking around on Gunbroker, they seem to vary wildly, but that doesn't seem out of line too bad.

Is this a deal? I have become pretty enamored with vintage .22s lately and have always like Marlin lever guns. I recently bought a nice 39A and love it, how similar are these two internally?

shooter93
04-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Price wise I couldn't say but Marlin kept "improving" going from the 1891 to 92 to 97 to 39 and 39a models. There are similarities and differences between models. Wisner's offs some parts for them so check it over and buy any worn parts now. One thing about these is the loading tube, the 97 has the same arrangement and I've already done this, ...the outer tube slides out instead of the inner tube like on a 39. Both inner and outer tubes are very fragile and can be dented easily if the user isn't careful. Original tubes sell for 300 and up now adays and difficult to find as collectors want them. Wisners sells a feed tube arrangement like the 39's that is much stronger and drops right in so you could save the original tube for th guns value down the road. It runs around 60 bucks. I did this to my 97 because many different people handle it.

Mk42gunner
04-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Same basic design, but I'm not sure if any parts will interchange. I have read that the older Marlin .22's should only be fired with standard velocity loads; again, I' not sure of the cutoff date.

You might check the Marlin owners website, there should be plenty of infpo there. $400.00 sounds like a decent price to me.

Robert

Muddy Creek Sam
04-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Last one I saw was $700.

Sam :D

richhodg66
04-20-2012, 12:34 AM
I didn't look closely at the magazine tube, that is interesting. If I get this one, it isn't likely to get shot much, I am rather intrigued by it. I may get some trade stuff together and see if I can strike a deal.

HDS
04-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Slightly OT, but I am always surprised that Marlin keeps producing the 39A as the main gun of the lineup. It's the least appealing by far of the variations they have put out.

Where it up to me they would only be making the 39A on a "now and then" basis, while the Mountie and 1897 Cowboy would be made continuously.

richhodg66
04-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Man, if the 39A is the worst of the bunch, I need to run to that store and grab that 1892. I absolutely love my 39A, what a sweetie.

I've always kind of thought that every manufacturer of things seems to have one product they make better than everybody else and for Marlin, it's the 39A in my book. Haven't seen a lever action .22 that can even touch it in my book, but perhaps I am biased.