PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Modified Cases

alamogunr
04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I periodically go thru Ebay listings for reloading items and usually don't find anything I can afford or am interested in. This morning I ran across listings for "Hornady Modified Cases". They appear to be standard cases except the primer pocket has been drilled out and tapped. What is the purpose of these cases?

http://tinyurl.com/7salglj

I have seen similar cases in Donnelly's book as a solution for adapting Berdan cases to Boxer primers. Even then he admitted it was an extreme solution. These Hornady cases were standard cases except for the modification.

cheese1566
04-19-2012, 09:48 AM
They are for the Overall cartridge length tool. The modified case threads on to the end of a hollow shaft. Inside the shaft is a plunger rod.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=35663/Product/Hornady-Lock-N-Load-OAL-Gauge-standard-
Once the case is threaded on, you place the bullet you wish to load for in the neck (the neck is opened a little too for the bullet to move freely). The case is then placed in the chamber (bolt removed)and held snug by the hollow shaft with one hand. The other hand pushes the rod so the bullet moves forward into the the lands gently. A set screw is tightned and the unit is removed.
The overall length of modified case and bullet is measured.

44Vaquero
04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Hornady Website say:
"These cases are specially modified to work with Lock-N-Load Precision gauges. A special fine thread is used to attach them to the gauges, ensuring that they remain perfectly square for precise alignment in the chamber of your firearm. Second, the neck of the case is made perfectly round and opened slightly to allow a standard diameter bullet to slip into the case mouth effortlessly, but concentrically, to ensure the most precise results possible.

If your caliber is not listed, any of your brass, including all wildcat sizes, can be custom modified at our factory for use with either gauge. Please call a support representative at 800-338-3220 for more information."

alamogunr
04-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Hornady Website say:
"These cases are specially modified to work with Lock-N-Load Precision gauges. A special fine thread is used to attach them to the gauges, ensuring that they remain perfectly square for precise alignment in the chamber of your firearm. Second, the neck of the case is made perfectly round and opened slightly to allow a standard diameter bullet to slip into the case mouth effortlessly, but concentrically, to ensure the most precise results possible.

If your caliber is not listed, any of your brass, including all wildcat sizes, can be custom modified at our factory for use with either gauge. Please call a support representative at 800-338-3220 for more information."

I thought I had searched the entire Hornady website. I guess I didn't search enough. Thanks for the explanations.

44Vaquero
04-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Don't sweat it. It's how the "search function" works on many of the factory/catalog websites.