PDA

View Full Version : Leading in the beginning of the barrel...

mannyCA
04-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Could someone remind me why leading would be occurring in the beginning of the barrel?
.38sp case with a KT lead cast with 1/2 ww/lead. Tumble lubed with Alox/JPW. Funny, but these same rounds when sized to .359 and with a proper lube have no problem out of the BH.
Is the lead too soft, the lube failing?
TIA.:coffee:

Larry Gibson
04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
the lube failing?

Yes.

Try the LLA straight as per the instructions. I put a cot on, let dry for a couple days, push through sizer, put a light coat on them and then let dry for another couple days.

If it needs to be "thinned" then just soak the bottle in hot tap water for 10 minutes or so before using.

Larry Gibson

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Could someone remind me why leading would be occurring in the beginning of the barrel?
.38sp case with a KT lead cast with 1/2 ww/lead. Tumble lubed with Alox/JPW. Funny, but these same rounds when sized to .359 and with a proper lube have no problem out of the BH.
Is the lead too soft, the lube failing?
TIA.:coffee:

What's a KT lead cast ?

A problem can be in your reloading procedure
if these boolits were softer than the ones you lubed
with a "proper lube" (whatever that is?), they can get
sized down inadvertantly when seated and/or crimped.
Try and pull apart one of your loads and measure the boolit to check for that.

Also some say TL can fail at magnum pressures.
But that lead fouling would be at the muzzle end of the barrel.
Jon

skeet1
04-19-2012, 11:28 AM
KT = Keith Type

runfiverun
04-19-2012, 12:30 PM
stop using the alox then.
you know the other way works.

gwpercle
04-19-2012, 02:11 PM
If it is a Keith type bullet then it will have a nice big lube groove ment to be filled with lubricant , Elmer Keith designed his boolits to hold a good amount of lube and this was in the days prior to the advent of LLA ( Lee Liquid Alox ) and TL
( tumble Lubricating ). Try pan lubing with a suitable lube that the pan lube guys around here recomend or try the straight alox. Also the mix of 50 /50 WW and lead might be on the soft side, how fast are you pushing them ? Too much velocity and you will get some lead.

mdi
04-19-2012, 02:30 PM
This article has been helpful to me in dealing with leading. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/leading.htm

Although I always thought undersized bullets leaded the first part of the barrel...

Wayne Smith
04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
This article has been helpful to me in dealing with leading. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/leading.htm

Although I always thought undersized bullets leaded the first part of the barrel...

They can. If they are soft enough to bump up the leading stops. The issue of skidding that the article addresses is more common at rifle velocities but will happen at magnum pistol velocities.

mannyCA
04-19-2012, 10:25 PM
forgot to add these are going about 990 fps, using IPP canister powder from GI Brass.

MtGun44
04-19-2012, 11:30 PM
+1 on use a normal, known good lube in a Keith for goodness sake!

That great big lube groove is there for a reason. Dip the boolit in some mule snot
that is a couple thousandths thick and leave the big groove empty and wonder
why there would be leading? Probably inadequate lube quality and quantity.

1. Fit
2. Design
3. Lube - quality and quantity, although the quantity is set by #2.

NRA 50-50 and LBT soft blue are both readily available and WORK. After this is working,
then you can start trying stuff and see if it causes a problem. You may well get LLA to
work, many have, but it is a potentially difficult place to start - except it is cheap.

Bill

mannyCA
04-20-2012, 01:01 AM
thanks for the input everyone. I have used this same bullet with Felix lube in .357 cases sized to .359 and 11 grains of 2400 without any leading whatsoever.

fredj338
04-20-2012, 10:34 AM
thanks for the input everyone. I have used this same bullet with Felix lube in .357 cases sized to .359 and 11 grains of 2400 without any leading whatsoever.

I think you just answered yor own question. I have never gotten great results w/ ALox in conventional lube groove bullets. It's why they make the Star.[smilie=s:

Frank
04-20-2012, 02:59 PM
If alloy is softer, lube demands will increase. So if you need to use LLA, then go harder.