PDA

View Full Version : Corbin Swage dies

Sasquatch-1
04-19-2012, 08:04 AM
I recently aquired a set of Dave Corbin Swage dies for my S-Press. these are for .429 cal. I am having problems with the nose form die and ejector punch. I lube the jacket liberally and place it in the die. When I try to eject it the pin goes all the way through the jacket resulting in a stuck jacket. I have been able to carefully remove these, but what am I doing wrong. [smilie=b:

Reload3006
04-19-2012, 08:45 AM
you are not closing the tip far enough. I assume your using jackets?

Smokin7mm
04-19-2012, 09:41 AM
I recently aquired a set of Dave Corbin Swage dies for my S-Press. these are for .429 cal. I am having problems with the nose form die and ejector punch. I lube the jacket liberally and place it in the die. When I try to eject it the pin goes all the way through the jacket resulting in a stuck jacket. I have been able to carefully remove these, but what am I doing wrong. [smilie=b:

What is the size of the pin? I would think for a .429 bullet that it would be a flat nose or hollow point punch but not so small to push thru the jacket. I have had this happen on occasion with 22cal bullets when made from 22lr cases which are very thin. All my equipment is RCE but I think Dave Corbin's stuff is base on the same principle with RCE being Richard Corbin who was the Die Maker at Corbins before he went out on his own. Need a little more information or pictures.

Bret

BT Sniper
04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
YEP! What diameter is the ejection pin? I would imagine it should be atleast .250 in diameter or larger. It should be pretty difficult to push a .250 diameter or larger pin threw a 44 cal bullet! Some thing seems out of wack?

BT

Sasquatch-1
04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Sasquatch-1,

Your seated core/ jacket assembly must be smaller in diameter than your point form die. If it is larger in diameter and you are drawing the jacket down in the point form die, the jacket will want to stick in the die.

PB

This was basically the problem (other then being too cheap to throw away used items). I picked up used jackets that I had melted the lead out of and the jackets were already expanded. When I used new jackets today the die worked fine.

For those that asked the ejector pin is very thin. It may be twice the diameter of a decapping pin, if that. I thought it was extremely thin for the .429 but it does work when used right.

Somebody needs to make a smiley with a dunce cap for times like these.

deltaenterprizes
04-22-2012, 04:14 PM
You may have solved my problem I am having with a set of 6mm dies I got from Larry Blachmon. I may need to make a smaller derimming die.

marten
04-25-2012, 11:44 AM
My corbin 429 pointy bullet set has 3mm ejector pin.

Grandpas50AE
05-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Sorry for not responding earlier, we started a new software project at work and I haven't had much time to come on here. Anyway, I had a similar problem when I first started swaging .30 rifle bullets, and discovered I was over-lubing them. The excess lube was causing a vacuum when trying to eject the bullet from the point forming die. I could faintly hear some suction as the vacuum eventually broke. I then used a cotton swab to remove excess lube from the die, then lubed the bullets with a VERY thin film of lube, and the problem went away. You may be using too much lube - it only takes a very light film - anything more can build up and create a vacuum against the release of the bullet from the die.

Hope this helps.

Sasquatch-1
05-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Sorry for not responding earlier, we started a new software project at work and I haven't had much time to come on here. Anyway, I had a similar problem when I first started swaging .30 rifle bullets, and discovered I was over-lubing them. The excess lube was causing a vacuum when trying to eject the bullet from the point forming die. I could faintly hear some suction as the vacuum eventually broke. I then used a cotton swab to remove excess lube from the die, then lubed the bullets with a VERY thin film of lube, and the problem went away. You may be using too much lube - it only takes a very light film - anything more can build up and create a vacuum against the release of the bullet from the die.

Hope this helps.

I figured it out. I had picked up a couple of used jackets I had laying on the bench. Since then everything used went into the scrap bucket and I haven't had a problem ejecting any bullets.