PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Ruger SR9c

cpaspr
04-19-2012, 01:36 AM
I'm hoping to get another 9mm soon, and I really like the Ruger SR9c. I want to be able to shoot it a lot, and that means reloads. Preferably, cast boolit reloads.

I contacted Ruger, but just received a standard canned answer that did not actually address my question.

Does anyone know how substantial the rifling is in an SR9c? Is it sufficiently deep to adequately spin bullets to give decent accuracy?

Thanks in advance.

wpfontenot
04-19-2012, 02:15 AM
My SR9 is one of the most accurate 9mm I own, if not the most accurate. It takes the 124gr TC with 4.6gr HP38 and out shoots my Glock, a Rock Island and a S&W.

Based on the 11K rounds I've put through it I would not hesitate to purchase a SR9.

Sasquatch-1
04-19-2012, 07:53 AM
My daughter has one and hasn't had any problems that I know of.

Did you call Ruger or email them. If email try calling you might get a bit better assistence.

Iron Mike Golf
04-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes. I shoot a SAECO #383 140 gr SWC from my SR9c. Nicely accurate. I size to .358. I am looking forward to the Mihec 125 gr HP mold for this gun.

cpaspr
04-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes. I shoot a SAECO #383 140 gr SWC from my SR9c. Nicely accurate. I size to .358. I am looking forward to the Mihec 125 gr HP mold for this gun.

Size to .358", eh? Neat! I just got a .358" sizer die for my .357 mag revolvers.

subsonic
04-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I have a friend with one that the trigger binds up on. This is not the only one I'm aware of with this problem. Dry fire it before you buy. He was not allowed to and it had problems right out of the box.

Other than that, I will say what I usually say about Glock copies. Get the real thing:kidding:[smilie=1:

Iron Mike Golf
04-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Size to .358", eh? Neat! I just got a .358" sizer die for my .357 mag revolvers.

I also water drop and let them harden for a week. They get to around 22 BHN with my alloy.

They drop at 14-15 BHN and I shot some day-olds this past Tue and got some leading. They other box with the week-olds had no leading and shot a little tighter.

cpaspr
04-20-2012, 02:38 PM
I have a friend with one that the trigger binds up on. This is not the only one I'm aware of with this problem. Dry fire it before you buy. He was not allowed to and it had problems right out of the box.

Other than that, I will say what I usually say about Glock copies. Get the real thing:kidding:[smilie=1:

In the original post I mentioned wanting to get another 9mm. This one will replace a G17. Sold it. I don't shoot them well.

So, yes, I know the trigger has that toggle safety that started with Glock, and is striker fired like a Glock, but it isn't shaped like a Glock. And at least for me, that's a good thing. (Plus the G17 was too big for anything other than range use.)

PS: Thanks for the heads up on the potential trigger binding.

johniv
04-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Sorry I am late to post. I just got an SR9c and only have a few hundred rds thru it. So far no function problems or malfunctions of any kind, I have shot factory loads and handloads using lyman #358480 140 gr swc. No water droping no heat treating, just WW. The first load was with unique , second was with power pistol, both functioned and fed fine with no excessive cleaning required . FWIW
John

Bassleg
04-21-2012, 12:26 PM
I have had an SR9C for about 1 1/2 years and have shot it about 4000 rounds and it shoots cast bullets just fine and I have even put some resized 158 gr swc.

rintinglen
04-22-2012, 12:50 AM
My brother is trying to wear out my Dillon feeding his. He has the full size, not the compact, but he has run many hundreds of (my) cast 358-242 122 grainers through his, as well as lord only knows how many Winchester whitebox 9 MM's.

brassrat
04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
I am figuring out that my sr9c is accurate with the right reload and a lesser shooting distance of 10yds.

NickSS
04-25-2012, 05:31 AM
I have one that I bought recently and like it so far. I have not shot any cast from mine yet due to being out of alloy and not having found any WW in the area. I may have to break down and buy pig lead and make my own alloy. Mine works well with factory and hand loads with both HP and plated RN bullets. I see no reason that it will not work just fine with cast. My gun has a little drag in the trigger pull but it is decreasing as I use it. I also have a G17 and the ruger is much better feeling pistol in my hand.

boltons75
04-25-2012, 05:54 AM
I carry the SR40c, get the 9c, they are great guns. And don't worry about the trigger, probably just heavy oil from the factory causing issues. Anyway, Rugers service is top notch. Also, if you like a nice smooth trigger, which mine was out of the box, go check out gallowayprecision.com, he makes some wonderful components for these guns. My trigger pull is now just a hair above 2lbs. I have a ghost trigger bar installed, aluminum striker indicator, stainless guide with options of 4 different spring rates. All purchased from Eric Galloway. I love my SR40c.

Always carry, never tell.

boltons75
04-25-2012, 05:56 AM
I have one that I bought recently and like it so far. I have not shot any cast from mine yet due to being out of alloy and not having found any WW in the area. I may have to break down and buy pig lead and make my own alloy. Mine works well with factory and hand loads with both HP and plated RN bullets. I see no reason that it will not work just fine with cast. My gun has a little drag in the trigger pull but it is decreasing as I use it. I also have a G17 and the ruger is much better feeling pistol in my hand.

Check out the Ruger forums, they have a great step by step, with detailed pics on what to polish to smooth the trigger out.

Always carry, never tell.

FergusonTO35
05-16-2012, 01:19 PM
I love my SR9c. It shoots boolits all day long with fair accuracy. I have about 550 rounds through mine since I bought it new in December.

Now, mine does have a problem which came up when shooting last Saturday. During the last twenty rounds I had five light strikes, which has never happened before. The rounds all fired the second time. Examining ther fired rounds I noticed they did not have a nice round indentation like they should. Instead they had what looked like a tiny pinprick surrounded by cratering. I disassembled the gun and found some steel shavings in the striker channel. Also, the tip of the striker which contacts the primer is now sharp and pointy.

I called Ruger about it and they said it could just be a defective striker or something could be going on with the slide. They agreed to send me a new striker and asked me to send the old one back so they could inspect it. They said if the problem comes up again to send the gun back and they will make it right. Although the shavings in the channel are a known issue, especially when the gun is breaking in, I've never read of one having a bad striker in this way. I really like this gun. Hopefully its just a defective striker and all will be well.

rintinglen
05-17-2012, 07:30 AM
I can not comment on the compact version, but the full size one my brother has is excellent.
He has shot over 2,000 rounds through it, mostly Walmart "whatever's-cheapest" factory and no problems whatsoever. I ran a box of my handloads with cast 122 grain RN over 3.8 grain WW-231 through it and it gobbled them up and spit them back out in a decent group at 15 yards.

Were I on the market for a plastic pistol, I'd look real long and hard at the Ruger. Maybe not so flashy, but a good value, nonetheless.

FergusonTO35
06-24-2012, 10:32 AM
The light strikes have gotten worse, now its doing it about 1 in 5 rounds. The gun is still very accurate with cast boolits and feeds and ejects 100%. The Galloway heavy striker spring made no difference, neither did removing the mag disconnect or trying the new striker assembly. Its going back to Ruger this week, hopefully they will fix it right or give me a new gun. Other than that its an awesome pistol!!

johniv
06-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Sir, did you clean the firing pin chanel when you remover the mag safty ? I am given to understand that the striker fired pistols are senitive in this reguard. As to the trigger sticking, I also had a problem with this, but it is not the pistol but my short fingers not correctly depressing the trigger safty, but jamming it from the side, as an aside, I have an old IJ hammerless revolver from the early 1900's with the "glock" trigger safe. There is nothing new under the sun.
FWIW
John

scattershot
06-24-2012, 03:18 PM
I had the standard SR9, and found it to be an accurate piece. It had some problems, though, among them a 12 # trigger that I couldn't get used to, so I sold it. Newer ones don't seem to have problems, to my knowledge, but that kinda soured me on the model.

Before you buy the Ruger, look at the S&W M&P9c. I have one in .40, and I like it so much I'm thinking about getting another one.

Lead bullets are fine in either pistol.

FergusonTO35
06-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Yes, I have cleaned the striker channel. Nothing was found other than some powder fouling.

Spud
06-25-2012, 12:12 PM
I have an SR9c. Had early "peening" issues which I fixed myself. Gun feeds any and all profiles and weight bullets and boolits; seating depth seems not to matter. My gun is absolutely reliable, no malfs of any kind not obviously attributable to my own error.

I have somewhere between 2. 5 M and 3M rounds thru it.

I trust this one, daily, and it's also accurate. I like it.

edit: about every 3rd or so range outing I remove the striker and clean slide thoroughly. Never had light primer hits from day one as some have reported. Do this and you'll most likely avoid it.