PDA

View Full Version : Confession!

Freightman
04-18-2012, 05:26 PM
I have to confess that I had tried Pyrodex, American select, and Shockies Gold in my Shiloh 45/70 with a lot less than steller results. So I was and am using WC 860 with a kicker with a lot better results than the subs. I got some real BP and found out that it is consistant, accurate (although I am still learning) and a whole lot easer to clean than all the subs it is as easy as the surplus smokeless at least. Well I am hooked and it is all you peoples fault. Thanks!

John Boy
04-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Sometimes it takes some reloaders longer to get SMARTER

PanaDP
04-18-2012, 06:08 PM
The way to see it is I wouldn't load a brand new hot rod cartridge with black powder, why would you load a cartridge designed for BP with smokeless?

bigted
04-21-2012, 01:04 PM
welcome to the dark side freightman!!! may your days be filled with the strange wonderings that this bp loading has infused me with. ya got ta try the other stuff to see that this origanal mix of stuff that makes this blackpowder so addictive and pleasant.

un-doubtedly you will come up with "new stuff" in your rational thinking that should work in these ol style rifles that is in part based on the modern arena but as time passes you too will begin to slow down and enjoy the very act of every stage of loading and shooting that results in your own success.

cant wait to hear about your journey!

Freightman
04-23-2012, 12:38 PM
If I can ever get time to get to the range I have six loads of 10 to try, not sure I can do all in one trip as I am older than dirt and slow slow.

Nobade
04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Especially now that the temps are up and the humidity is down in your part of the world. That makes you slow down a bit when shooting black powder, the gun gets really hot and the fouling dries out fast.

I end up switching to duplex loading with BP in the summer if I need to shoot under the clock, like in levergun silhouette matches.

Glad to see you have discovered the true gunpowder now, it sure is a lot more useful than any of those subs I have tried once you learn how to work with it.

felix
04-23-2012, 02:00 PM
You ain't a BP shooter until you do muzzle loaders with flint/match locks. Other than that, BP is being wasted! Primer actions are way to modern for BP!!!! ... felix

WARD O
04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
After years of hearing all the terrible black powder tales of woe from so many "more experienced shooters," I too was very hesitant to get into using real black powder in my valuable bpcrs. Finally I decided, quite a few years ago, that I was going to use the real thing one way or another. After all, it seemed to work pretty well way back when....

Well, now that I've probably burned up 50 pounds or more of black powder, I have to tell you that all the old stories are mostly bunk!

If you are used to smokeless, black powder has a whole different set of rules - like always shooting a case full of powder. But once you get the hang of it - it is loads of fun!

You're goin' to be glad you've gotten into the REAL thing!

ward

nwellons
04-24-2012, 09:13 AM
What can be better than shooting a flintlock with BP at night?

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o565/nwellons/Shooting-Codys-1.jpg

felix
04-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Exciting, especially when the moon-lit target gets "busted" from the shot. Just like making feathers of a blackbird swaying 15-20 degrees back and forth on a 150-200 yard treetop using a 22-250 during a March wind storm. Luckiest long shot I ever made for grins. ... felix

Circuit Rider
04-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Freightman, off topic but is the Country Barn still crankin' out good BBQ and great calf fries? Been about 5 years since I've been through there. CR

Bullet Caster
04-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Felix, I guess I'm a real BP shooter now since I have a .50 cal. fllintlock. Also enjoy the cap 'n' ball 1860 SAA, but then it does use caps. Too bad no one ever invented a flintlock revolver. BC

waksupi
04-24-2012, 11:46 PM
http://patentpending.blogs.com/patent_pending_blog/2004/11/colliers_flintl.html

Freightman
05-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Freightman, off topic but is the Country Barn still crankin' out good BBQ and great calf fries? Been about 5 years since I've been through there. CR
They are still here, I do not know how long it has been but they moved to I40 west between Colter and Soncy now. If they were there when you last went through it has been longer than five years. Every thing in Amarillo is moving west and southwest, I use to live on the next to last row of houses before you got out of town now it is four miles to the edge of town.