PDA

View Full Version : brass?

redhawk45
04-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Just started loading for the 45 acp and noticed that some of the brass has sm primer pockets and some have large. What's up with that?

joec
04-18-2012, 11:54 AM
It is something I recently noticed also on Federal mostly. The Federal they sell at WalMart has the small primer lately while the Federal American Eagle has the large primers. I've heard there are others brands starting to do it also but I haven't run across any yet. I have a couple of thousands of Federal Eagle that I bought over a year ago for target.

ReloaderFred
04-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Do a search and you'll come up with a couple dozen threads on this subject.

The short answer is the switch to Diazodinitrophenol (DDNP) priming compound from Lead Styphnate priming compound showed there was no need for a large primer in the small volume of the .45 acp case. In fact, I have European .45 acp brass from the early 1950's that is small primed.

The higher brisance of the DDNP priming compound necessitated several changes in the way primers were made, and the associated primer pockets. Those changes have continued to evolve, and will probably continue even more.

Hope this helps.

Fred

bumpo628
04-18-2012, 03:01 PM
"NT" Non-Toxic primers are only available in SPP. So, they switched 45acp over.
Now, you have to sort all the little buggers out. The good news is that people with progressive reloaders tend to prefer them since they don't need to change out the priming system when they change calibers. Save them up until you get enough to trade.

1hole
04-18-2012, 09:29 PM
"...some of the brass has sm primer pockets and some have large. What's up with that? "

What's up? Humm...some of it has small primer pockets, most have large. ???