PDA

View Full Version : Amt 380

Sasquatch-1
04-18-2012, 08:39 AM
I have an AMT 380 Backup that I have had since the mid 80's. I was just wondering what the general opinion of these pistols is.

theperfessor
04-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Used to have one, IIRC mine had clear plastic grips, had to sell it during cash short time of life, later bought a Colt Mustang. Don't recall any major problems or virtues.

Maximumbob54
04-18-2012, 09:13 AM
I find it odd that I see little to no talk good or bad about these guns. Even in the current pocket pistol mania I see no talk about those or the NAA version that is very similar.

Shuz
04-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I have an AMT 380 Backup that I have had since the mid 80's. I was just wondering what the general opinion of these pistols is.

I bought one about a year ago when I was having severe FTF and FTE problems with my new S&W .380 Bodyguard. I still have the AMT Backup and it is a fine pistol and shoots very well with cast boolit Lee 35-102RN. It is a very heavy pistol, weighing around 19 ounces, so for CC, I use my Ruger LCP. It weighs a little under 10 ounces. As for the Smith Bodyguard, on the fourth trip back to the factory for the same issues, I asked for, and received a full refund.

Dframe
04-18-2012, 03:29 PM
The one I fired was an old single-action striker fired model. It was 100% reliable, though it's tiny grip handle made it hard for me to shoot well. I also found the safety to be awkward and difficult to use. As a last ditch hideout gun (which WAS it's intended purpose) it was servicable.

Rick Hodges
04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
I have one, surprisingly accurate, reliable...mine was pre AMT...an OMC Backup..That was what I carried it for...last ditch backup weapon.

Sasquatch-1
04-18-2012, 06:26 PM
I have one, surprisingly accurate, reliable...mine was pre AMT...an OMC Backup..That was what I carried it for...last ditch backup weapon.

When did OMC make the gun?

I bought mine when I first went into narcotics work for exactly what the name implies. I have only fired less then 300 rounds through the gun and never once had a jam.

The reason I brought up the subject was I have seen people who claim it is a very unreliable weapon. Since I retired I no longer carry concealed though this would be a great pocket gun.

dubber123
04-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I had 2, 1 was bought very cheaply, as the owner called it a "jammomatic". After I cleaned the 20+ years of filth out of it's innards, it ran just as reliably as my first one. 100%. I had no issues at all with mine.

Poygan
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
I had one given to me. I hated it. It jammed with everything I tried to feed it, including factory FMJs. I tried polishing the ramp with no improvement. The takedown procedure had to be designed by a government committee. It was very heavy for a back up. I sold it with full disclosure to a friend. That was a good day!

imashooter2
04-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Quality was spotty. Take down a bear. Heavy for its size. Trigger less than optimal.

Mine is completely reliable (after I filed the extractor a bit so it would actually extract). I carried it for a few years before I moved to a J frame. Still have it, but don't shoot it much anymore.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-18-2012, 09:18 PM
My brother bought one many years ago. We were at his place out in the desert and he asked me to try it out. I squeezed the trigger for a long time but I could never get it to fire. I thought ther must be some sort of hidden safety. I never saw him shoot it and I have not seen the thing since that day.

Larry Gibson
04-18-2012, 10:09 PM
I've had mine since '80 and find it to be 100% reliable. I carried it as backup as LEo and now as CCW when the Combat Comander would be conspicuous. Fits in the fanny pouch just fine, a pants back pocket or a coat pocket. It has stopped miscreat's behavior twice so it has "paid" for itself. I shoot it once in a while and it always goes bang and given the rudementary sights, it is amazingly accurate.

I've also had a spare mag and both have remained loaded for(?) 32 years now without any hint of spring compression or a malfunction.

Larry Gibson

Char-Gar
04-18-2012, 11:17 PM
I have a loaded OMC in the drawer of the desk on which this computor sits. It is heavy for it's size, with poor sights and a heavy trigger, but it is dead reliable. Makes a decent belly gun. If the range stretches past 10 feet I would want something else.

Rick Hodges
04-19-2012, 08:20 AM
When did OMC make the gun?

I bought mine when I first went into narcotics work for exactly what the name implies. I have only fired less then 300 rounds through the gun and never once had a jam.

The reason I brought up the subject was I have seen people who claim it is a very unreliable weapon. Since I retired I no longer carry concealed though this would be a great pocket gun.

I purchased mine new in April of '76. It is an OMC and has Zebra wood grips. I agree the sights are miserable and the trigger is a challenge...but mine has been very reliable with any factory ammo I have tried and reloads with Sierra 90 gr. Hp's. Full disassembley is a real pain.

Sasquatch-1
04-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Full disassembley is a real pain.

I will not disagree on this point. I had to download a copy of the instruction of the internet just to figure it out.

bobthenailer
04-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Mine are also a early OMC . i bought two at the time one for me and one for my now X wife .
Although heavy by todays standards they were HI TECH in the 1970s .
The both that ive used are reliable and able to shoot 3 inch groups or better at 25 feet , and at least mine i still have and has had several thousand rounds through it over the years.
A few years ago i bought a Kel tek 380, sure is nice 9 oz vs 20 oz gun and although lighter, it still kicks about the same , after 50 rounds my trigger finger get tender from beating around inside the trigger guard. still have them both the ! The OMC in the safe semi retired and the Kel teks in the ovherhead consol in my SUV.