PDA

View Full Version : Beyond factory sites on my Lever gun...

steve-in-kville
04-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I will be taking delivery of a Marlin 45LC Cowboy very soon. It was a *lightly* used rifle with an octagon barrel. I own a few SAA revolvers in 45LC and wanted a rifle to match.

At any rate, although this rifle will be a plinker, I intend to use it for some short range varment control (100 yards or less). I was considering a small compact scope such as a 1.5-5x20 but was also looking at after-market peep sights and tang sights.

Has anyone used such a rifle under similar circumstances, and what sighting system would you use?

steve

corvette8n
04-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I don't have any pistol caliber leverguns, but I use peeps on all my Marlin 336's and Win 94's, I even put a peep on my Marlin 1895 in 45/70.

steve-in-kville
04-06-2007, 09:08 PM
What brand peeps do you have?? I have a Brownell's catalog and my local shop orders from them weekly. I had peeps on various lever-guns in the past but cannot recall the brand name without looking.

steve

imashooter2
04-06-2007, 09:38 PM
The only currently available receiver sights that will fit your Cowboy without hanging off the back of the receiver are the Skinner sight and XS.
http://www.skinnersights.com/
http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html

I put a WGRS on my 1894C, but I had to drill and tap a hole in the receiver to get it to fit correctly.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imashooter2/pictures/wgrs-c.jpg

ktw
04-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Has anyone used such a rifle under similar circumstances, and what sighting system would you use?

I have a winchester 94 trapper in 45 colt (recent vintage, angle eject).

I mount a Leupold 1.5-5x20 on it when I am doing load development work with it. It wears a Williams foolproof receiver peep the rest of the time. The trapper has a blade front site which I'm not a big fan of and that will be replaced with a bead front sight one of these days.

The scope does interfere with the free ejection of shells on my winchester. Most whang off the scope and out, but every once in a while one deflects back into the action.

-ktw

steve-in-kville
04-06-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm not afraid of mounting a small scope on such a lever rifle. If the right mounts/scope are used, it could become quite a nice "utility" rifle, without looking like I butchered the whole rig.

steve

EDK
04-07-2007, 12:17 AM
The earlier--24 inch barrel--Marlin Cowboys were drilled and tapped for the Lyman #66 receiver sight, about $70 (or less on sale) from Midway. I acquired one of the earliest stainless 44 magnum 1894s and found they no longer drill and tap the receiver. When I called the factory, the lady forwarded me to the Vice President who made the decision and he told me why they did it. I replied that every Marlin I've had in the past 35 years has a Lyman receiver sight on it and getting one back after loaning it for a deer hunt was highly unlikely--I've sold 4 that way!

Supposedly, Marlin will drill and tap your gun for free at the factory. I'd call and find out. Installing the peep is a "no brainer" with two screws and some loc-tite in2 minutes. Installing a new front sight isn't much harder--a punch or brass rod and a hammer and a vise to hold the barrel. The Lyman 17A globe front sight with inter-changeable inserts is a good choice.

Enjoy an excellent "using rifle."

:castmine:

ktw
04-07-2007, 01:57 AM
...If the right mounts/scope are used, it could become quite a nice "utility" rifle, without looking like I butchered the whole rig.

Here's a pic of mine with the scope on it. Leupold mounts and rings.

For hunting at less than 100 yards I much prefer a peep over a scope. The receiver peep and front bead on my older win 94, top eject 30-30 carbine are perfect.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/winchesters_1100x564.jpg

corvette8n
04-07-2007, 01:46 PM
All mine are Williams 5D's except the top mount receiver one on the 1895, it is still a Williams but forgot which model.

Scrounger
04-07-2007, 04:10 PM
All mine are Williams 5D's except the top mount receiver one on the 1895, it is still a Williams but forgot which model.

Foolproof.

steve-in-kville
04-07-2007, 08:26 PM
For hunting at less than 100 yards I much prefer a peep over a scope.

May I ask why?

steve

ktw
04-07-2007, 09:34 PM
May I ask why?

- the ejection issue I mentioned earlier.
- a scope makes for a bulkier rifle, particularly lever actions where you naturally want to carry it with your hand wrapped around the receiver.
- I find a good peep sight to be faster and not significantly less accurate than a low powered scope at those ranges
- no 'moisture on the lenses' issues in wet weather.
- the peep sites are a better match to the turn of the century rifle design than a modern scope (esthetics).

The only thing the scope buys you is slightly smaller groups on paper and an extra 15 minutes of shooting light in the morning and evening.

-ktw

steve-in-kville
04-07-2007, 10:19 PM
ktw- thanks for the response. I can understand your views on this. I will keep it in consideration when I outfit this new rifle. I've used a few tang sights as well as my share of peeps. All have their pro's and con's.

steve

duke76
04-07-2007, 11:19 PM
imashooter2 The only currently available receiver sights that will fit your Cowboy without hanging off the back of the receiver are the Skinner sight and XS.
http://www.skinnersights.com/
http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html

I put a WGRS on my 1894C, but I had to drill and tap a hole in the receiver to get it to fit correctly.

I want to put a willaims peep on my 1894 but do not want it to hang off the end so I was going to go with the wgrs but now I am unsure because I do not want to drill my receiver to get it to fit correctly, I thought it was supposed to screw right on

imashooter2
04-08-2007, 12:14 AM
All the current Williams sights are made to fit the 336/1895. The scope mount holes on those rifles are approximately 3/8 of and inch farther from the rear edge of the receiver. In order for any of the Williams sights to fit an 1894, you either have to drill the left side for the traditional FP-94/36 sights or 1 additional hole 1/2 inch in front of the existing rear scope mount pair for the FP-336 or WGRS (use the sight as a template). Here's what the WGRS looks like in the stock holes:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imashooter2/pictures/WGRS1894.jpg

The FP will hang off about the same amount. As I said before, the Skinner or XS sights will fit without drilling. You can also mount the WGRS or FP-336 on the forward scope mount holes. It's functional, but looks kind of strange.

Scrounger
04-08-2007, 12:38 AM
All the current Williams sights are made to fit the 336/1895. The scope mount holes on those rifles are approximately 3/8 of and inch farther from the rear edge of the receiver. In order for any of the Williams sights to fit an 1894, you either have to drill the left side for the traditional FP-94/36 sights or 1 additional hole 1/2 inch in front of the existing rear scope mount pair for the FP-336 or WGRS (use the sight as a template). Here's what the WGRS looks like in the stock holes:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imashooter2/pictures/WGRS1894.jpg

The FP will hang off about the same amount. As I said before, the Skinner or XS sights will fit without drilling. You can also mount the WGRS or FP-336 on the forward scope mount holes. It's functional, but looks kind of strange.

I think you're right about the Williams sights but what's wrong with aperture hanging off the rear of the receiver as your photo shows? The closer to your eye, the better and I always use a hammer extender anyway.

imashooter2
04-08-2007, 01:20 AM
I think you're right about the Williams sights but what's wrong with aperture hanging off the rear of the receiver as your photo shows? The closer to your eye, the better and I always use a hammer extender anyway.

It looks like crap. Other than that, nothing.

Scrounger
04-08-2007, 10:17 AM
It looks like crap. Other than that, nothing.

After looking at it a while, I have to agree with you, it's better to go ahead and drill the extra hole. I think I still have a few of the side mounted sights.

steve-in-kville
04-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Folks, thanks for this great discussion. I've scoped quite a few lever guns in the past, as well as installed peep's and tang sights. I will admit, I'm more of a scope guy, but I stick with small compact scopes. Big honkin' star-gazing scopes belong on a varmint rig, not a handy lever action that's used for plinking and utility purposes.

YMMV.

steve

lovedogs
04-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Steve... you can look at my post on BUCKHORN SIGHTS and maybe that'll help you. I like the Williams Foolproof. If your receiver is drilled and tapped you can use their FP94/36, which sits lower and is better. If not d&t'd, you'll have to use the FP336, which uses the scope mount holes on top. The 94/36 is better if you can use it. Don't bother with longer elevation & windage screws as they won't work on the CB's. Target knobs are nice if you'll change adjustments frequently. Otherwise the plain version from Midway is sufficient and cheaper. Hope this helps. I tried a scope and it was like having camper on a VW convertible. It worked but wasn't the best.

Larb Hills
04-12-2007, 08:40 PM
I shoot a Marlin 1895 with a skinner rear sight and a firesight front. I love the setup. The skinner sight cost $45 and it is top notch.