PDA

View Full Version : Sightron scopes

Lefty SRH
04-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Can anyone testify to the quality of Sightron scopes? I have a renewed interest in long range shooting and looking to buy a new scope for my rifle. Sightron has one that has a MOA graduated reticle. I'm curious about their quality/reliability.

pipehand
04-17-2012, 12:13 PM
I've bought several of their S-I series 3x9x40mm Mildot scopes, and found their adjustment to be reliable, and the optics to be very good, especially for the price. I have no experience with their higher end and more expensive scopes, but am very satisfied with their low end.

VA Shooter
04-17-2012, 02:08 PM
What do their low end scopes cost

Lefty SRH
04-18-2012, 05:31 AM
The scope I have in mind is a Series III, $900 range.

Nobade
04-18-2012, 07:52 AM
I have checked out a lot of Sightron scopes on our test fixture at the shop. In some ways they are one of the best scopes you can get - tracking, glass, reliability, etc. The company is wonderful to work with if you have a problem. My big beef with them is they can't get their mil dots to work. The reticles and turrets are always around 10% off, almost like they are confusing metric and english measurements when they manufactured them. I sent one back to them for repair, they had it for two years and finally sent me the money back since they couldn't fix it. But in situations where mils don't matter, for example F class or silhouette, I don't think you can find a better scope until you spend more than twice the money. Note this applies to the Big Sky and SIII lines, not the cheaper ones. Those are about like everybody else's cheap scopes at the same price point.

Forrest r
04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
I have/own a Sightron SII 36x42BRD benchrest scope with the 1/8” dot. I’ve owned 36x scopes made my Tasco (made in Japan), Leupold & Weaver. The key word is “owned”, those scopes are gone & the Sightron is my go to precision scope.

These scopes have excellent tracking, clear optics & positive easy to use dials and knobs.

I have a set of lockers installed on my scope & absolutely love them.

When you get into high end optics they’re all about equal as they should be for the $$$ being spent on them. I’ve just have consistently shot higher scores with the Sightron scope in a wider range of applications that ranged from 10m airguns to 50 & 100yd rimfire BR and prone to 600ydBR with a 308.

Lefty SRH
04-18-2012, 10:23 AM
I have checked out a lot of Sightron scopes on our test fixture at the shop. In some ways they are one of the best scopes you can get - tracking, glass, reliability, etc. The company is wonderful to work with if you have a problem. My big beef with them is they can't get their mil dots to work. The reticles and turrets are always around 10% off, almost like they are confusing metric and english measurements when they manufactured them. I sent one back to them for repair, they had it for two years and finally sent me the money back since they couldn't fix it. But in situations where mils don't matter, for example F class or silhouette, I don't think you can find a better scope until you spend more than twice the money. Note this applies to the Big Sky and SIII lines, not the cheaper ones. Those are about like everybody else's cheap scopes at the same price point.

I wonder if that same error is found in the MOA rectified with MOA turrets. An MOA reticle and turret is what I'm interested in and they can be a little difficult to find. It was nice to find this from Sightron.

Nobade
04-18-2012, 07:56 PM
I wonder if that same error is found in the MOA rectified with MOA turrets. An MOA reticle and turret is what I'm interested in and they can be a little difficult to find. It was nice to find this from Sightron.

That I can't answer. All their MOA dials I have seen are right on the money, but I have never checked out one of their scopes with a MOA reticle. Also remember that as far as I know none of their models are front focal, so a measuring reticle will only work at full power.

Another good one to look at is the Vortex Viper PST front focal. Those are also extremely good scopes, and available with milrad or MOA reticles. Their HD Razor is even better but is twice the price. The Viper is about the same price as the Sightron, right around $1000.

44 WCF
04-19-2012, 06:40 AM
I have Sightrons from 1X MZLDR up to 24X. They have all been great and only one problem and they sent me new scope in about 10 days. I bought my first as a "just in case" for Elk hunting, and soon they were my "go to scopes".

They have great to answer questions about "which" scope to buy and actually have recommended less than their top line couple of times.

Lefty SRH
04-20-2012, 09:07 AM
That I can't answer. All their MOA dials I have seen are right on the money, but I have never checked out one of their scopes with a MOA reticle. Also remember that as far as I know none of their models are front focal, so a measuring reticle will only work at full power.

Another good one to look at is the Vortex Viper PST front focal. Those are also extremely good scopes, and available with milrad or MOA reticles. Their HD Razor is even better but is twice the price. The Viper is about the same price as the Sightron, right around $1000.

Wow, thanks for the Vortex suggestion. Thats more like what I'm looking for.