PDA

View Full Version : Range report, 41 Long Colt

Wayne Smith
07-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Went to the range today, and some good news and some bad news. Bad news is that I shot my Chronograph, but I think I can fix it! It's the Millenium model, so just some wires that got permenantly bent past the breaking point. These are the wires for the Infrared diffuser screens.

Good news, Buckshot, is all the holes in the target were very nicely round! This at 25yds, longer than that poor cartridge was ever intended to shoot accurately. No, I didn't quite group minute of body, but close. That's especially good given that I see about three front sights out there! This is a 220 grain pill, this time, for starters, in front of 4.5gr Unique. Got 677-718fps, some of the variation coming from a slight variation in bullet diameter between the two cavities(?). They were cast in dead soft lead, so that may have erased the difference. Only problem shooting was that some bullets pulled foreward under recoil. I do need to find a way to crimp this one.

Since the gun was made in 1906 I'm thinking I probably don't want to go over about 5 gr. Unique. Anybody have any OLD data out there that may actually list the 41 LC? Probably the only two powders used that are still available would be Bullseye and Unique.

45 2.1
07-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Anybody have any OLD data out there that may actually list the 41 LC? Probably the only two powders used that are still available would be Bullseye and Unique.

From Ideal Handbook number 38 for 41 Colt (Long)
Bullet 386177 196 gr. 3.0 gr. Bulleye 700 fps
5.0 gr. Unique 890 fps
Bullet 386178 200 gr. 3.0 gr. Bullseye 700 fps
5.0 gr. Unique 880 fps

9.3X62AL
07-03-2005, 02:29 AM
As a past shooter of a cheapie downrange box-type chronograph (with the CZ-52), I feel your pain sir. At least the tripod survived intact.

That's not work with that caliber, Wayne. I had a chance at a SAA in 41 Colt a while back, and passed due to its exorbitant price--convoluted reloading regimen--and sufficient entertainment, distraction, and aggravation already provided by several revolvers and lever rifles of the hyphenated Winchester species. It just seemed like "a bridge too far".

Buckshot
07-03-2005, 07:29 AM
.............Wayne, I'm very pleased that the pistol shoots those bullets better. I wonder how it would do with the 'Original Propellant"? Have you been able to recover any of the fired slugs? It would be of interest to see if the heel was in fact bumping up as designed.

I wonder if a Lee factory crimp die for the 41 mag could be altered to work for your 41?

.............Buckshot

Wayne Smith
07-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Deputy

Not so bad, it's the Milleninium Chrono, and all I shot was the wires to the infared thingie. I actually think I may be able to fix it, but if I can't all I have to replace is one upright with the connections in it. Actually, that's why I got this one in the first place. Not only is the brain on my bench in front of me so I don't have to peer at those numbers way out there, but they have the infared thingie and my range is covered too far out for adequate sunlight except in the best of conditions.

Buckshot, the two problems are !) getting the bullet through it - what's the diameter of the .41 Mag? I've never had one. 2) getting it to close to about .390 or .395 - what would be a proper crimp? It is a straight case, so that part fits. No chance of recovering bullets there, sorting out would be the problem. I'm gonna give Lee one more shot first, though.

45 2.1 Thanks! I was assuming that about 5.0 gr Unique would be my max, now you've went and proven it!

7br
07-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Wayne -- .41 mag runs from about .410 to about .412. I size my .41 to .410 and they work find out of my Dan Wesson.

lar45
07-24-2005, 02:44 AM
How about a Lee factory crimp die for the 38-40?
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1122187136.1246=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html
The case is a little longer, but the neck diameter is real close.

D.Mack
07-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Check out Leverguns.com there, is an article on the .480 achilles , and how they solved the crimping problem. It may be more trouble than you want to mess with, but in the end, it made a good looking crimp that worked. D.M.

lar45
07-25-2005, 03:17 AM
I pulled out my 375H&H LEE factory crimp die and I think that it could work. What you would need is to make an extension that will fit into the shell holder slot of your press. This will push your loaded round up into the die, then you can use the collet style crimp to crimp the case. You could cut the die body and crimp piece down also, but I don't think they would go all the way down. maybe check and see if they would have something similar that would work like the 375 win or similar? I could turn you an extension if you want and loan you my 375 die to see if it works before you buy your own. The crimp dies are pretty cheap though. $12-13ish
email me if you interested
idahobronco@aol.com I will need a few reminders to get it done though.
http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/shoppingcart/fcdie.jpg

What's your rim diameter? Maybe I could turn a cup for the case to sit in on the extension?

Wayne Smith
07-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I'll catalog them amd maybe get back to you. I've been dilatory about getting back to Lee about a custom one for this cartridge. Gotta get 'round to it!

I know what you mean about needing reminders.