PDA

View Full Version : Kicking myself

fatelk
04-16-2012, 10:10 PM
I wandered down to the local gun show Saturday, with absolutely no intention of buying anything. I happened to glance at the display case of a gun dealer I've seen at all the local shows. I bought a rifle from him a decade or so ago, seems like a nice guy.

He had a matched pair of Uberti "1875 Army" revolvers, 45LC, marked $350/ both or $175 each. I don't know much about them, but have always wanted a single action .45 Colt, price seemed too good to be true. I bought one of them, and now that I've tried it out, am really kicking myself for not buying both! I really don't know much about Uberti, other than my old cap-and-ball, but I like it.

My wife wasn't too excited at the expenditure, and $350 would have been an issue, but I know I couldn't have gone wrong. While waiting for the background check I heard the dealer mumbling to himself "Why did I mark these so cheap?" I told him I wondered the same thing, and noticed he had marked the remaining one up $100 more as I left.

It really seems like a pretty good gun; shoots good. I think I got a bargain.

crazy mark
04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Ya done good. They usually go for $300 or more.

fatelk
04-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks Mark. Of all the guns I've owned over the years I've never had a single action revolver. I've always liked the .45 Colt and figured that would be the way to go if I ever got one. I'm really on a no-gun budget right now what with a soon to be growing family and all, but this was just too good to pass up.

crazy mark
04-19-2012, 12:21 AM
If it's a good deal your wife should understand. Don't you know what causes children yet. :-) Last one I saw was around $325 and it was beat up and it sold for that price. Let me know if you need some heavy weight boolits as I have some 300 gr cast if I can find them.

missionary5155
04-19-2012, 04:05 AM
Good morning
Well still that was a good deal... My wife and I are constantly reminding each other down here... "If you see it now you better buy it now".
Mike in Peru

bobthenailer
04-19-2012, 09:24 AM
I go twice a week to my local gun shop to buy nothing , but sometimes i get lucky !

375supermag
04-19-2012, 06:29 PM
If I didn't go on a tour of the local gunshops with no intention of buying a gun every so often, I wouldn't own half the firearms that I do.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of several nice handguns I bought just because I happened to be there with no intention of buying anything.

One was a nickle Colt Combat Commander in .45ACP, another was a stainless Virginian Dragoon in .44 Mag. I was in my friend's gunshop (now sadly closed) several years ago, just visiting when an older couple came in with a couple of boxes full of handguns they wanted to sell. I managed to pick out a S&W Classic Deluxe Model 29, a S&W Model 57 and a S&W Model 25 all in excellent condition...for $900.

Longwood
04-19-2012, 06:45 PM
I sure looked longingly at the little, like new, Ruger Carbine in 45 ACP at last weekends gun show.
The 17 HMR Low-wall, with the expensive tang and globe front sights, I could not pass up however.
I accidentally,,,,, :holysheep:-P had eight hundreds in my pocket. ????
I almost turned around at the door when they said "Eight bucks to get in".

fatelk
04-22-2012, 03:10 AM
If it's a good deal your wife should understand

She's fine with it now. She doesn't like to see money go out that doesn't need to, but knows that typically I'm cheaper than she is so it must be a good deal. She also knows that if we got in a tight spot where we really needed money for the family I would sell them all in a heartbeat. Well, all would be tough, but most anyhow.

When we were first married I lucked into an estate deal on a carload of reloading stuff. The seller named the price- $200 for at least $1000 worth of stuff. I had taken $200 with me because I knew that was all we could afford. She really had a problem with it until she saw me sell a bit here and there for more than I paid, with plenty left over. Now she doesn't worry too much about stuff like that.

I shot this gun more today, sure do like it. I'm loading 8gr Unique under a Lee TL230-TC (cast at 240gr.). Shoots great.

Don't you know what causes children yet.
I've heard rumors.:)

lathesmith
04-23-2012, 07:55 PM
fatelk, I know hindsight is always 20/20, but you should have bought both of those guns, sold one, and kept the other! Around here, an 1875 Remington Uberti copy in 45 Colt would be snapped up @$350 quickly, if it was in any kind of decent shape. Then, you could keep yours for free! Oh, the things we think of when it's too late...:)

Anyway, I love those 1875's, I have a 357 and it's a fantastic gun, it's one of the best Uberti's I've ever had. Hope you enjoy yours!

lathesmith

9.3X62AL
04-24-2012, 06:48 PM
You did just fine at $175 for that '75. About half-price, actually.

I had a Uberti Cattleman in 45 Colt x 4-3/4" that did very well for me. 250 grain bullets under 9.0 grains of Unique shot right to the sights at 25 yards, and ran 825-850 FPS.

Bullet Caster
04-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Fatelk,

You did good. I bought my Uberti 1873 Cattleman with 4 3/4 bbl. new about 10 years ago and paid around $375.00 including shipping. You just have to be careful not to overload an Uberti. The max chamber pressure is around 14K psi; they're not as strong as a Ruger BH.

I'm sure you're gonna love it the more ya shoot it. That's my Uberti in my avatar. I got it from Cabellas and their name is on it (just wish they hadn't stamped it so deeply as I'd like to remove their name from my pistol). BC