PDA

View Full Version : Mauser bolt and low profile safety

borderman
04-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I was finally able to have a .308 (very) heavy barrel put on a 98 Mauser. Of course i never gave the bolt a thought since the handle was bent. Well it *just* hits the scope even with extra high rings. I think shaving the handle is my only way out. Took a file to it for a few seconds last night, wow is it ever hard. Is there a tried and true easy way to take off several thousanths ?

I also bought a Timney low profile safety. Installation seemed simple right up to putting the spring in the shaft hole. Now I know why it wasn't packaged that way, it will not fit in the hole. Do I just have a fat spring or am I missing something?

Any advices would be much appreciated. I just hate taking something seemingly simple like this to a gunsmith and waiting forever.

RayO
04-06-2007, 11:53 PM
If you have a rotary tool,you can remove material from the bolt with a stone,carbide bit or little drum sander.Use some emory cloth backed by a file to smooth out the work.On the Timney safety you can either drill out the hole so the spring can fit or call Timney and ask them for a replacement.

versifier
04-07-2007, 11:00 AM
I don't know if you want to try it, but you could bend it. Disassemble the bolt and put an aluminum heat sink into it, then heat the shaft with an acetylene torch until hot enough to bend, quench it in oil. Or you could cut it, grind a better angle, then reweld it. Maybe either method is too much hassle with such a small adjustment necessary, but then maybe it would fit you better if you could use lower rings.