PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmithing Book Question

Casting Timmy
04-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi,
Hopefully some of you have read these books before and can let me know what you think about them. I find the titles interesting, but I don;t what to send a lot of time looking for them or a lot of money for them if they're not that good.

Small Arms Design & Ballistics, by Townsend Whelen
Modern Gunsmithing by Howe Vol 1 and 2
Advanced Gunsmithing by Vickery

Molly
04-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi,
Hopefully some of you have read these books before and can let me know what you think about them. I find the titles interesting, but I don;t what to send a lot of time looking for them or a lot of money for them if they're not that good.

Small Arms Design & Ballistics, by Townsend Whelen
Modern Gunsmithing by Howe Vol 1 and 2
Advanced Gunsmithing by Vickery

They're all excellent! I'd suggest you consider adding "Hatcher's Notebook" by Julian Hatcher, and the reloading books by Earl narramore and Phill Sharpe as well. Check out "The bullet's flight from powder to targ
et" by Dr. Mann too. Also note that you can download most or all of these for free as PDF files off the internet. And a whole lot more besides.

Reg
04-17-2012, 02:35 AM
All of the above ( both posts) are excellent books, but dealing with gunsmithing, the one title that comes to mind is "Gunsmithing" by Dunlap. Covers a lot more ground in more areas.
Hope you are getting the picture that no one two or even three books will ever cover the subject. Most of your real working gunsmiths have a whole wall of books and reference materials and even that isn,t enough and also each one could actually have enough knowledge and experiences to write at least one book by them selfs on the subject and most likely not repeat that which has been written before.
If you are really serious about the game, get prepared to buy a ton of books and spend the rest of your life learning. Even P O Ackley didn't know it all and was always learning something new.

:drinks:

Mooseman
04-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Honestly...It depends on what information you are looking for as to what books are best.
I have HUNDREDS of books in my library and none of them cover everything , most gunsmithing books cover only the basics. One of the better and funnier set of books are from Brownells called "Gunsmith Kinks". Many tips from gunsmiths solving problems over the years.
Rich

uscra112
04-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Not specifically a gunsmithing book at all, but everyone should have a copy of "Machinery's Handbook" in their library. Packed with things you didn't know you didn't know.

+1 on the Dunlap book, it's the one I re-read most often.

"Firearms Bluing and Browning" by R. H. Angier is on my shelf.

Before you ever touch a Smith & Wesson, buy "The S&W Revolver" by Jerry Kuhnhausen

Many tricks for the home gunsmith to use when annealing, hardening and drawing are found in "Hardening, Tempering, Annealing and Forging of Steel", by Joseph V. Woodworth. This was first copyrighted in 1907, but it speaks volumes to the home shop gunsmith. The current reprint is by Lindsay Publications. (You can get thoroughly lost in their catalog.)

Phil

Casting Timmy
04-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Also have any of you read Hatcher's book on Pistols and Revolvers?

There's so many books and that I want to read, right now I'm about half way through Baker's book. There's some interesting items in that book and I really got a kick out of the burgalar and drill proof steel. Apparently you need a gallon on urine as the main quenching ingredient. It's also interesting that he refers to the World War, it's strange not hearing the I or II, but since he wrote between I and II it makes sense. Did anyone know where in Kansas City, MO that Cylde Baker worked? I actually live on the other side of the city and would like to drive by it if it was still there.

I've been collecting and reading books and even made a cabinet with a door for my books. It keeeps stuff off of them in my reloading and machining area, just wanting to continually expand.

John 242
04-17-2012, 07:55 AM
I have an idea, but I don't know if it will fly, or not. A sticky containing reviews or suggested reading of gunsmithing books or informational websites, would be, in my humble opinion, really a great help for those of us seeking knowledge.

I browse Amazon, Brownells and MidwayUSA book reviews trying to find books that are 'must haves' for gunsmithing. What a sticky here would offer as compared to one-sided book reviews is a greater depth of knowledge and experience. Discussing why a book is good or bad, useful or not, is more important that a subjective, 'it sucks'.

I've seen reviews of Roy Dunlap's book in which the the author bashes the book for being outdated and irrelevant. Why, because there are no AR-15 or AK builds in it? Really?

The topic of book recommendations comes up in this forum from time to time and a few guys chime in, but the thread slowly makes it's way into obscurity, until another thread is started again a short time later.

Along with some gunsmithing info, I have found a few online PDF sources for machining info, including lathe and mill operations.

Hatcher's Notebook is/was available for download at Castpics, if I recall correctly.

Anyway... just my two-cents...
John T.

waksupi
04-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Saying if a book is good or bad is subjective. The less you know on a subject, the better a book will be in furthering your education. As you learn more on a topic, the less useful some books become.

Casting Timmy
04-17-2012, 07:47 PM
I can give my personal review of some of the books I have read

Gunsmithing Kinks 4 - Lots of great information, and I remember it being a lot about 45 pistols

Gunsmithing by Dunlap - Barrel threading and cartridge drawings through out the book, lots of great information

Modern Gunsmithing by Baker - I really like his explanation of trigger work, I also like his humor at rare times in the book. Probably dry humor here and there. Definitely likes the word flivver. Funniset part is how to get burgular or drill proof steel by using a quench of mainly urine. Good info on old bluing methods and case hardening. Does talk about using cyanide, I don;t think I will try that one.

Pistolsmithing by Nonte - Lots of exploded drawings of various pistols in the back, trouble shooting flow chart in the back as well. I was amazed after reading this book how much hasn't changed over time.

Accurizing the Factory Rifle - It's hard for me to read this book as I'm having troubles getting into it. Talks about using valve grinding compound to get better contact of barrel to receiver and also lapping in lugs. I don;t know how much I like this book at times, he does admit that lapping the face of the barrel into the receiver decreases headspace and lapping the locking lugs increases headspace. Not really for sure how I feel about this book for at home building, just seems like you can get someone in trouble quickly.

The Gunsmith Machinist Book 1 - I liked this book and it also has some machining fixtures in it as well. I really wonder if this isn't select articles from the machinist magazine he writes for consistently.

I still have some more to read and a couple that I've read and can't remember right now.

John 242
04-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Saying if a book is good or bad is subjective. The less you know on a subject, the better a book will be in furthering your education. As you learn more on a topic, the less useful some books become.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying and that makes sense.

An expert stock maker such as yourself would probably get little out a book on stock refinishing, but a novice like me would probably learn a lot. I was told that "Checkering & Carving of Gunstocks" by Monty Kennedy was a good book to get the basics of stock work, but for someone such as yourself, the book may have nothing to offer.

I personally prefer a discussion type of environment where others can contribute, as opposed to a one sided review on Amazon, etc.

I was thinking that a sticky like Bret's Shop Tips thread would be useful for the good majority of us. ... maybe not.

waksupi
04-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I understand what you are saying and that makes sense.

An expert stock maker such as yourself would probably get little out a book on stock refinishing, but a novice like me would probably learn a lot. I was told that "Checkering & Carving of Gunstocks" by Monty Kennedy was a good book to get the basics of stock work, but for someone such as yourself, the book may have nothing to offer.

I personally prefer a discussion type of environment where others can contribute, as opposed to a one sided review on Amazon, etc.

I was thinking that a sticky like Bret's Shop Tips thread would be useful for the good majority of us. ... maybe not.

Actually, I read everything I can find on stock and wood finishing, looking for any tips I can pick up. In search of the Holy Grail.
Monte's book is very good for learning how to do checkering, probably the only good one out there. He used to live just down the road about five miles from me. I have his copy, with one of his cancelled checks in it for a bookmark!

John 242
04-18-2012, 01:10 AM
A few books that I have read-

Gun Owner's Book of Care, Repair and Improvement by Roy Dunlap-
This was the first ‘Gunsmithing’ book I read and although it focuses on somewhat on cleaning and maintaining, there is enough information in the book for a beginning gunsmith to benefit.

The NRA Gunsmithing Guide -Updated Edition-
I have read bits and pieces throughout the years but never cover to cover. I especially like the section at the beginning of the book by Bob Brownell in which he discusses the Gunsmithing profession and what he thinks a gunsmith should be. Despite being dated, this book sparked my interest in Gunsmithing. I need to read all of this book, but have never been able to get all the way through it.

The Gun Digest Book of Gunsmithing Tools and Their Uses, by John E. Traister-
I picked up this book at a gun show used for $2.00 and feel it is worth the $20 or so they go for on Amazon. Set in the 1980s, some of the information is slightly dated, but the book gives a beginning gunsmith a general idea of what type of tools he will typically use and how those tools are used in the shop. For me, I found the information on the selection and use of hand tools especially useful.

Gunsmith Kinks, by Bob Brownell-
I haven’t made it far into this book, yet. I am currently on page 23, which refers to Acraglas and stock work. I have found a few gold nuggets of information, have noted them in the margins, but this book seems to be the type that needs to be read and reread.

Kuhnhausen’s Colt .45 Automatic Volume I and Mauser Bolt Actions-
The books are in-depth manuals that go into great detail about Gunsmithing techniques in a automotive shop manual type of format. I find myself having to look for illustrations or video on the internet in order to grasp what Kuhnhausen is taking about, sometimes. Detailed specifications are included throughout the book, including warnings as to what is considered unsafe or out of tolerance. To get the most out of the .45 Auto book, I had to sit at a table with a set of calipers, a micrometer and my 1911 and work my way through the book checking this and that while making notes in my notebook. I would consider the Kuhnhausen books, ‘must have’, although I have read posts on other forums from professional pistolsmiths that do not agree with all of the information in the .45 Auto book.
Not having a Mauser rifle at home limits the usefulness of the Mauser book for me, but it will still familiarize the reader with many typical rifle Gunsmithing concepts. (I bought the Mauser Book because it is required for school)

Well, that’s enough for now. I have more questions than I have answers, but maybe someone will get something useful out of this.

John 242
04-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Actually, I read everything I can find on stock and wood finishing, looking for any tips I can pick up. In search of the Holy Grail.
Monte's book is very good for learning how to do checkering, probably the only good one out there. He used to live just down the road about five miles from me. I have his copy, with one of his cancelled checks in it for a bookmark!

Looks like I'm going to have to add that book to my bookshelf.
There was another book that recently went back into print about stock work that is supposed to be really good, but I can't remember the title... (had to look it up)
David Westbrook's Professional Stock Making-
Familiar with it? Any good?

John 242
04-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Oh, yeah, forgot one-

Gunsmithing Made Easy, by Bryce M. Towsley
Oriented more for the home shop gunsmith, I thought the book has some useful information for a beginning gunsmith. Some reviews of the book I’ve read elsewhere criticize the gunsmithing projects in the latter section of the book as being very specific to certain makes of firearms. The projects are just examples that when taken as a whole serve the reader as examples of common Gunsmithing jobs and is not meant to be an all-inclusive Gunsmithing guide. Not exactly groundbreaking information, but the book kept my attention with plenty of color pictures and an easy to read writing style. For me the book was enjoyable to read. The author has a self-deprecating style in explaining various Gunsmithing mistakes he has made in the past. In particular, the author gives examples of nearly ruining gunstocks when attempting to glass bed an action.

I bought and read the book via Amazon’s Kindle and although the price was right around $9.00, I think paying $16 for the hardcover version is a better way to go. For me, it’s easier to read a traditional book than it is to sit down in front of the lap-top and focus on reading the Kindle version. I get distracted easier. Regardless, if I find the hardcover version at my bookstore, I’d be willing to spend $16 more to put it on my bookshelf.

Goatwhiskers
04-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Gunsmith Kinks has four editions, get all of them, priceless info in them. Dunlap's book is also quite usefull, some things may be somewhat dated but in a shop you never know what will come in the door. It has saved my tail a couple of times. Goat

KCSO
04-18-2012, 04:28 PM
They were good books in their day and still are GOOD books but are very dated in tools and techniques. If you use OLD tools like I do and do a lot of hand work you can learn a lot from them but if you are a machne it out cnc person it may be another story. If you can find them J B Woods books on assembly are almost a must, but once again somewhat dated.

quack1
04-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Another good one for stock finishing is Gunstock Finishing and Care by A. Donald Newell. It doesn't have any of the modern finishes in it but has a wealth of information for restoring older type finishes. It was copyrighted in 1949.

JIMinPHX
04-19-2012, 06:09 PM
As "gunsmith books" go, I've always been a pretty big fan of the Jerry K. shop manuals.

Cocon
04-19-2012, 07:08 PM
I collect and read books on Gunsmithing and engineering in general. The only book I would advise to treat with some caution would be Modern Gunsmithing by Howe Vol 1 and 2. It is very much over complicated and the advice about repairs to shotguns ( about 2-3 pages) is positively dangerous.
Dunlaps book is one of the best, but you will need to read many, many different volumes to get a reasonable grasp of the subject. Most gunsmithing books only touch on the subject and do not give enough information to carry out advanced work like braising lumps back on to barrels, heat treatment, correct fitting of parts and materials etc. Model Engingineering books can be a most valuble scorce of "how to do it" knowlege, as so too, are the forums rich in contributions by all the experianced gunsmiths and gun repairers. The practical side of gunwork will only be learnt by having a go and learning from trial and error.

gunshot98
04-21-2012, 08:23 PM
I like all the Dunlap books. I also have all 4 gunkinks books and use the nearly every day. I am writing down alot of the books yall have mentioned.The Krause disassembly books are great too. Where are some of the sites to download the PDF's for free?

alleyoop
04-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Also check with your local library even if they don't have a copy of something they can often get it on loan. I have gotten loaner books from across the county if it's good enough I'll try to find one for sale.

Molly
04-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Here's a few that I've dug up. That ought to keep you busy until you're 85 or 90 years old. Coverage is not exclusively gun related, but there are an AWFUL lot of gun books, shooting books, hunting books, gunsmithing books and you-name-it's to go along with the rest. Take a look:

1. ManyBooks – Free eBooks for your PDA, iPod, or eBook reader
2. BookCrossing – Where real books are released into the wild to be found by others –
3. LibraryElf – The perfect companion to a public library system
4. Scribd – Open library to publish and discover documents online
5. Word Public Library – 400,000 PDF ebooks for download
6. Free Tech Books – Free computer science and engineering books (+ lecture notes)
7. Bookins – Swap real books with other readers
8. WellToldTales – Free short story podcasts (like audiobooks, but shorter)
9. Wowio – Public domain, free legitimate*copyrighted*materials & one of the only with a selection of Comic Books
10. BizBooktalk – Free book giveaway contests on Fridays
11. MoochMuch – Organize your book lending with your friends
12. CHMPDF – A collection of general interest and technical ebooks
13. Realtime Publishers – free IT eBooks by many of the world’s best authors
14. FrugalReader – Trade Books for free
15. TitleTrader – Swap books, movies, and music
16. ZunaFish – Trade your old media and books items for new titles you’d rather have.
17. SwapSimple – Swap your used books here
18. SwapThing – Community of users who swap items including books
19. BookCart – Internet paperback exchange
20. SF-Books – Exchange Sci-Fi Books here
21. PaperbackSwap – Swap books for free
22. PinkMonkey -*450 Study Guides / Booknotes / Online Chapter Summary Notes and Analysis
23. eBookWorld – Technical resources
24. Flaxx – IT and computer books
25. Baen Library – Free science fiction and fantasy novels
26. LibraryThing – Social networking and free books
27. Online Books Page – Facilitates access to books that are freely readable over the Internet
28. Podiobooks – free audiobooks that you can subscribe to with iTunes or any other podcatcher
29. BookRags – Research material in the form of eBooks
30. Technical Books Online – Old tech books from the “vacuum tube age” of electronics
31. ebookSearchr – Google powered
32. Internet Archive – The Intenet indexed – that includes a vast*text library
33. BookYards – Books, videos, education materials
34. Memoware – Free books for your PDA
35. DocStoc – online document sharing website. the “YouTube of documents”

The items below*were taken from another Top 10 list with full reviews*(here and there)

1. Gutenberg Project Top 100 – Popular books from the oldest producer of free ebooks on the Internet
2. BookMooch -*Community for exchanging used books
3. ebookSpyder – Specializes in technical books ranging anywhere from C# to AJAX
4. Google Book Search – Read the classics online
5. Dwalin – plain text novels
6. Free Computer Books – Technical resources about computers
7. Librivox – Audio works and podcasts of books
8. CliffsNotes – Get the notes to cram for the exam
9. WIkibooks – Free textbooks
10. DailyLit – Receive small parts of books via email

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...ld-master.html
http://www.singleshotexchange.com/goodies.htm
http://www.lautard.com/pyne.htm
http://used.addall.com/
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19477...-h/19477-h.htm
http://www.online-literature.com/

John 242
04-26-2012, 08:41 AM
I like all the Dunlap books. I also have all 4 gunkinks books and use the nearly every day. I am writing down alot of the books yall have mentioned.The Krause disassembly books are great too. Where are some of the sites to download the PDF's for free?

Cast pics has useful stuff that I really appreciate.
I pulled Hatcher's Notebook off of there along with several other books.
I would strongly recommend going to cast pics to take a look.
After that, I've found various PDFs, web sites and even online books with gunsmithing or tool information.
I was able to download the South Bend 'How to Run a Lathe' book from Google's library. I would be happy to send you a copy, if that's possible; it's a big file and I'm not computer smart. It's from the 1950s but most of the stuff applies the same today.
I also was able to download Nicholson's book on using a hand file. Good info, if your not already familiar. I probably have some other stuff that could be useful. What are you looking for?

I created a file with folders that I put web pages, links and various bits of information that I come across while on-line.
While not as useful as hands on, I can refer back to my notes and files when something confuses me. In no way complete, my 'note book' is a work in progress that hopefully will be useful over the next 20 or 30 years of gunsmithing.

Casting Timmy
04-27-2012, 08:20 AM
That's a good idea about your notebook, I might have to start somethign like that myself.