PDA

View Full Version : Sitting on top of the fence

Rockchucker
04-16-2012, 08:16 PM
I found a Ruger 45 LC flat top convertible (new stainless) on Buds Gun Shop that I really have been wanting. The price seems to be a fair price (542.00) shipped to my FFL, and his price is only 20.00 if you have a ccp permit and I do. Guess I need a little pushing to get me over the top, My question is whether or not anyone here could give me their review on this gun. I do love Ruger's single action revolvers, they just seem to fit my hands having the 44 mag Super Black Hawk, and the 357 Back hawk, as well as the 22 Single Six, and would be a nice addition to my small collection. It seems great to be able to shoot the long colts as well as the 45 acp in one revolver. If you have any other recommendations on buying a new long colt I would love to hear them.

Rockchucker

white eagle
04-16-2012, 09:29 PM
RC
not to say that my experience will mirror yours but I had a
hellofa time with my 45 conv.the throats were under and even afta I
opened them up I could never get the thing to make a decent group,got some
real good patterns though
I will say it was nice to be able to shoot two different rounds out of the same gun though
YMMV

RobS
04-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I have a stainless and the throats needed opened on both cylinders. The 45 Auto cylinder was the tighter of the two that I reamed. Also noted the new flat tops are not capable of taking the Ruger Only loads if that is an issue for you or not. The revolver I have has some end shake .004 and a .010 cylinder gap which I'm not overly excited about. The thing is these measurements from what I've read are right at the edge of Ruger's limits.

Rockchucker
04-17-2012, 05:31 AM
It's starting to sound like this is a problem gun from the start, would either of you buy this gun again if you were in the market?

RobS
04-17-2012, 10:29 AM
I would do it again; the flat tops are built on smaller frames and grip handles which makes it fit better for smaller hands. The intent of this revolver is for my wife so it works out well for her regarding fit and this one will not be loaded heavy; 230 to 260 grain boolits at around 800 fps or so will be this ones diet.

Rockchucker
04-17-2012, 11:53 AM
I just placed my order for this gun and knowing up front that the throats will probably need to be opened up and never having had this done before, is this something that a gun smith will have to perform for me, or could someone like Lathesmith do this. This is my first purchase buying online and the dealer (Buds Gun Shop) said it will ship in 3-7 business days, this seems like a long time to me or maybe I'm just excited about getting a new gun. :)

runfiverun
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
lathesmith will do them.
http://www.cylindersmith.com/
this might help.
the stainless ones have been the only ones i have seen lately that the throats are cut a titch too small.
as soon as i swap my blued cylinder in they shoot right well.
i have swapped in my 44 special and 45 colt cylinders and the groups instantly shrink to the same size as my blued revolvers and in the 44 even better.

bigboredad
04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
the throats are a easy fix that should not deter you from a fine gun. You will fet yearsof enjoyment from it

Crash_Corrigan
04-17-2012, 03:14 PM
I have five of the Ruger single action revolvers. They run from the 327 Federal Magnum to the 45 Colt convertible. In the mix are a 38/357/9mm convertible flat top from the early 70's, a new .44 Lipseys Special in Bisley and a ancient .30 Carbine with the 7 1/2" bbl.

The 45 Colt was a bad deal for me. It was sold on Auction Arms as an original gun and came with a brass frame, 4 5/8" bbl, Stag grips and a .45 ACP cylinder. The convertible cylinder does not fit the frame at all. I called Ruger and found that the gun had been originally shipped with a steel frame and a longer barrel. So the gun I bought as "ORIGINAL" was nothing but a decent shooter in 45 Colt that had been worked over a ton. It was then misrepresented and sold on the internet.

However the price was dirt cheap ($240) so I really can't complain too much.

The revolver in 45 Colt will shoot into less then 2" at 25 yds with my handloads of a 250 gr keith style boolit over Unique powder so it meets my needs.

As for the cylinder diameters......If it ain't broke etc.....

Rockchucker
04-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks to everyone for the reply's and I've taken note of each one. Buying a new caliber gun means getting it set up so that I can reload for it ($). This means new molds, dies, caliber conversion kit, took head, cases, I have zero at the moment, etc. Hopefully the barrel will slug around a .451 so I can at least use my .452 die and punch I bought from Chris.

newton
04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Definitely slug and take measurements before you assume to much. I bought my gun assuming I was going to have to ream the cylinders and even thought I was going to have to after I shot it and it shot like crude.

Then I slugged them and realized they were right where I want them to be along with the bore. That's not saying I am not having a 'good' time finding a load that is good in it, because I am having one 'good' time doing so. But that's the fun of the new gun.