PDA

View Full Version : new to swaging, howdy!

Dakine
04-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi all, I have been interested in casting for some time, just getting some other hobbies wrapped up until I buy some gear, and then one of my friends started talking about swaging and that sounded really cool so while researching it I found this site which has been immensely helpful while I start to get a fundamental grasp of what is involved in this.

Corbin's site makes my brain bleed... but I like knowing everything is there, if I can just figure out what they're telling me!

I have a couple presses, and I'm just getting back into reloading. I haven't decided if I would want to buy a Corbin press or not. It's impressive and at first I thought something of that grade and quality was required but upon reading the posts here I found that not to be the case, so still making up my mind on how I want to get started. Are progressive presses functional for this?? I haven't assembled that one yet, seems like unless the rotation station plate can be disabled then I wouldn't want to use that one.

I saw the comments on muddydawgs post about the cost... while it is a sizable investment, I am really looking forward to diving into it just because I think it's going to be a LOT of fun for me to geek out on. One of my biggest concerns though is that I will break something because I do/use something that I shouldn't and then have to drop a second chunk of cash to replace it.

I probably want to start with either .223 or .308 I usually shoot a lot more .223 than I do .308 but that might be turning around soon, so I'm still trying to decide on which is best for me to start with. The 22lr cases is really cool, and that might seal the deal for me to start there...

I have also been reading BT Snipers and other posts on using things like 9mm for .40 jackets. I have mixed feelings on that, I think it's pretty cool to do that, but I'd rather reload the 9mm case then turn it into a jacket, so as I get into this and accumulate more calibers I'm suspecting I'll probably want to stay with copper tube jackets other than the .223's.

well, that's all for now, back to reading... so much to learn, including a brand new vocabulary!

Utah Shooter
04-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Welcome. Pretty neat site isn't it?

What I can tell you is that I did start out with .223 out of lr cases. The reloading set up that Dave Corbin sells. Soon will be getting some .308 as well as BT's 40 cal. die.

There are plenty of manufacturers that will be able to accommodate the .223 and .308 calibers. Some that come to mind are Dave Corbin (obviously as you have visited his site), RCE (Richard is brother to Dave Corbin), Blackmon, BT, Coltac just to name a few. The last 2 frequent this site a bit. They all know what they are doing and make a good product.

I have yet to see a die like BT's 40 cal. There may be someone else out there who does it but in my mind not sure it would beat his track record. Once you start reloading you will find so many 9mm cases you have to find something else to do with them.

There are others who make dies out of Carbide Detsch and Niemi (sure I spelled those wrong). They obviously are going to be a bit more expensive.

Good luck deciding :) and welcome.

BT Sniper
04-16-2012, 09:43 PM
"Dakine" I see that A LOT here in the windy Columbia gourge of Oregon with all the wind surfing around here. Welcome to the sight. Everything you could need to know can be found here.

So do you surf? You sould be able to get into swaging for less then, or about the cost of a new board :) , Ok enough surfing stories lets talk bullets.

I think we have all felt the same way or have gotten lost in Corbins sight.

As for making bullets the 22 cal is a lot of fun to form and shoot. It does require a few additonal tools and the small caliber size adds to the difficulty to make a quality set of dies and the resulting additional cost but as you can imgine the 22lr brass for jackets is everywhere.

The only decent option for 30 cal jackets as far as brass for jackets is concerned is the 5.7x28 case in my opinion. The best price I have ever seen for those is still about 6-7 cents a piece.

Copper tubing is another option for the 30 cal but requires another die. The 5/16" copper tubing I have found for about $1/foot shipped and you will use about 1.25" per jacket. If you can find recycled tubing that may be a cheaper option. Making jackets from tubbing producing some very good looking results but there is a few steps involved and takes a little time.

I have really been enjoying the 22 cal set up. Very little pressure is required to make these bullets and any decent reloading press works great.

The 40 cal was mentioned, if I had my way everyone would shoot 10mm/40 cal. It is by far my favorite bullets to make and shoot. Even if one shoots a 9mm allready it is just so easy and cheap to make 40 cal bullets from the abundant 9mm brass you can find for scrap price of 2 cents a piece or less. even if you had to purchase a new 40 cal pistol you still my save money over a 22 cal die set, that is what I did, I bought a 40 cal pistol after I realized just how easy the 40 cal bullets where to make.

It is all a bit of a toss up really as far as cost goes but I tell everyone it is a hobby and we can spend as little or as much as we like when it comes to our hobbies.

22 cal dies are the most expessive yet the brass jackets are practicaly free.

30 cal dies are a little cheaper yet jackets are more expensive. I did actually purchase some Sierra match 30 cal jackets but they where 17 cents a piece. Actuall commercial bullets are not much more expensive!

In compare the 40 cal is just about the cheapest die to buy and the 9mm brass is allmost as cheap and plentiful as the 22lr brass but not everyone wants to shoot or make 40s so......

Whatever you decide making your own bullets is a heck of a lot of fun.

Read up a bit on all the great posts here, I'm sure you will find lots of info to get excited about and if not feel free to ask. there is a lot of knowledge here.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

alfloyd
04-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Dakine:

First, Welcome to Cast Boolits.

Next, a progresive press will not work well for swaging. The RCBS Rock Chuck, or the Lee Clasic Cast will work a lot better for swaging.

The 223 from 22 LR brass is what I started with, and I think that is the one I have the most fun with.

I went with Dr. Blackmon's setup for the 223. I use the Rock Chuck press with his mod that makes it work like a swaging press.

There are die makers that make dies to work in a reloading press, using the 7/8 X 14 top thread.
These require you to use a mallet, or an auto-eject attachment, to eject the slug.
BT Sniper's and Clotac's dies work like this.

Read a lot and learn, ask questions and enjoy this site.

Lafaun

Dakine
04-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and yes, it's a very cool site!!

BT I was looking at the thread for making .40's and you might have changed my mind about getting into swaging and starting with that instead of rifles. It would be a lot faster and easier to do that, and I already have a nice .40 that I don't shoot enough because I don't reload for it and buying new ammo just seems overly spendy when normally I'd rather shoot .45

Then I saw the posts on "glublits" at first I was laughing thinking these guys must be joking, then I realized no, they're very serious and then I watched the youtubes, definitely going to try that and soon too!

Oops, and forgot, no surfing for me, I guess I could, I work a mile from the water! Just not that into it

BT Sniper
04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Don't let me change your mind :) you should swage bullets for all of the calibers you listed :)

All of them are a lot of fun but I still say the 40 cal is by far the easiest, fastest and cheapest to make and shoot.

I live next to the water too but don't surf or kite board either, maybe some day.

Let us know if we can help you on yoru way to swaging your own custom bullets.

Good shooting,

BT

Grandpas50AE
04-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Welcome Dakine. You will find enough information on this site to make your head spin for some time. I started with the RCBS RockChucker press and Dave Corbins "R" dies 20 years ago, then progressed to the "H" dies and MegaMite press when I went to larger caliber stuff that caused problems on the reloading press (deformed ram face). That was long before I discovered this site, and there are less expensive options that will work well also. I will say that I am completely satisfied with my Corbin press (and dies), but I will add that there are many other options, like BT's stuff, that you don't find elsewhere. That kind of variety and experimentation is what drew me to join this site last year, and I have learned much since.

Keep an open mind, a strong passion to learn and do, and you'll really enjoy it here.

Lizard333
04-18-2012, 08:32 PM
I went with RCE's Walnut Hill press. The price was a big selling point. If your looking at his website and don't see what ur looking for email him. His website doesn't have everything he sells. His quality is top notch, and he's a good guy to work with.

BT's dies are great for the pistol caliber's, and I will be ordering a set from him here in the near future.

Sasquatch-1
04-20-2012, 07:36 AM
I am fairly new at swaging myself. Just started after Christmas this year. The one thing I will recomend is that you buy a press made for swaging. I started with a single die set that would only make the bullets with a step, no ogived jacketed bullets and a Rock Chucker press. I quickly proceded to break a link on the brand new Rock Chucker 4 press. I have since found a Corbin "S" press (Dave Corbin) and the difference is incredible. I have also just recently found a set of Dave Corbins dies for this press used at about half the price they would be new. Good luck and get ready to spend a LOT of money whether you want to or not.

:swagemine:

Dakine
04-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks Sasquatch! I'm planning on putting up a new post, probably tonight or tomorrow... while I have two presses now, neither of them are ready for this kind of duty. I'm going to finalize a rough draft I have going on what I want to buy to get started with, and ask people to poke holes in it. Honestly I'd rather spend $50-200 more today and get the right tool for the job, then spend more money later correcting a poor purchase decision.

I'm ready for this hobby to cost money, I'm not swimming in it though so its important to me to make sure I spend it wisely.

-Dak

BT Sniper
04-21-2012, 02:33 AM
Don't worry, it will only cost as much as you want it to. I tell everyone it is a hobby and you are free to spend as little or as much as you like. I would be willing to bet no one would be spending any money at all to swage their own if they where not having fun.

I think even if one had nothing, not even a reloading press or lead melting pot, or molds, dies, etc. they can get into swaging simple but AWESOME pistol bullets for under $500 all together. Now subtract cost of press if you happen to allready have a decent reloading press, or lead pot, molds etc and maybe if your like most of us it is simply the cost of a great swage die and you will be making a life time supply of bullets.

The reward of shooting your own bullets I think is "priceless" as they say :) but I might be bias, so feel free to ask around to those that make their own no matter how much they spent just how cool is it to shoot bullet they made themselfs?

I say as always good shooting and Swage On!

BT