PDA

View Full Version : ? about my 45 boolits

Eric H
04-16-2012, 09:11 AM
My 9mm and 40 sw boolits were spot on the money as cast . My .452 lee two mold cavity the one with the micro grooves . My boolits were fine at the lube grooves then expanded to .455. right ware it started going to the truncated cone. My bullets also weighed about 5-8 grains heavy. Is it me or the mold or both? I assumed it is me. My aloy is range scrap withsome solder thrown in.
I did take my 40 sw and 9mm as cast boolits out ant shot some. I lubed some with Xlox and some with JPW Both worked good with no leading. I will get some mineral spirits to mix my next lube.
so Once I get my 45 problem squared away. I will be off to further this Horibly adictive Habit of Mine.
thanks Eric.

DLCTEX
04-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Check carefully with a magnifier to see if lead or something else is holding the mould open at the nose end. If not, return it to Lee or run it through a size die. Sizing it .003 thou. will wipe out a couple of lube grooves, but that shouldn't cause any problems. A .453 size die would be better.

HangFireW8
04-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Like DLCTEX said, also look for any peened or bent metal on the alignment pins or mold face. Close the mold and hold it up to the light and see if their is a lot of light coming through the junction. If the front driving bands are bigger than the rear (or vice-versa) then that tells you where to look for the problem.

HF