PDA

View Full Version : Identifying S&W grips

Longone
04-16-2012, 08:46 AM
I came into two pair of S&W wood grips in a trade that I need some help identifying. The darker pair is smaller across the bottom of the grip than the lighter color pair. Both appear to be square butt.

Smaller pair measures 2 5/16"
Larger pair measures 2 9/16"

Measurement is taken at the widest point at the base. I'm thinking "K' and "N" frame?

Thanks, Longone

krit29-2
04-16-2012, 04:55 PM
smaller ones are "K" frame. aka "football targets"

However,the larger ones are "N" frame, and a winner,,,, the larger checkering pattern is a dead give away for the much sought after N frame "Cokes"

Longone
04-16-2012, 05:20 PM
smaller ones are "K" frame. aka "football targets"

Is that because of the Diamond?

the larger checkering pattern is a dead give away for the much sought after N frame "Cokes"

Your speaking way over my head, splain to me like more better please.

Longone

7x57
04-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Taking a close look, both of your grips are for "N" frames. The ones with the diamond are the desirable "Cokes". They were made a little slimmer and shorter than the other pair. They are called "cokes" because when viewed from behind they have a sort of coke bottle shape. Later manufactured S&W grips, like your other pair pictured, have a more plain, thicker shape, not as comfortable to the hands. N frame "coke" grips can bring a nice chunk of $$$ from a collector.

9.3X62AL
04-17-2012, 12:54 AM
The diamond centering the grip screw indicates pre-1968 production.

Longone
04-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the information, now I just need to find someone that needs them.

Longone

krit29-2
04-17-2012, 08:26 AM
my bad, yes they are both "N" frame,,,, was all in a big hurry to respond....
"football targets" are called that because of the football shaped cut out the left hand side.

Longone
04-17-2012, 08:42 AM
OK, now I see it. I think they were a new take off because they are in excellent condition.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and making me better informed.

Longone

imashooter2
04-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Pop over the S&W forum in their classifieds section and see what excellent condition cokes like yours are selling for. I think you're going to be very pleased...

Longone
04-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Pretty scary what they are selling for, but if you are looking to put a piece back to original they can only increase the value overall.

Longone