PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Pistol scope for Mosin?

1Shirt
04-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Looking for a pistol scope to mount on my long Mosin. By cheap, am looking at under 100.00. Any thoughts/suggestions, particularly from those who have mounted pistol scopes on Mosins would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who respond to this thread!
1Shirt!

koehn,jim
04-15-2012, 10:53 PM
I have not done a moison but I have put a long eye relief scope on a Brazilian Mauser they can be bought from dealers on Ebay for around 50.00 dollars for a variable.

Junior1942
04-16-2012, 07:48 AM
A cheap scope is ok in good light. For hunting in early morning and late afternoon or on hazy days, they're worth zilch.

uscra112
04-16-2012, 08:54 AM
I've used Bushnell Phantoms to good effect. 2.5x, not the 1.3x. They go for well under $50 on evilBay. Make sure you get a mount - - they have a dovetail rail on the bottom of the tube, so only the dedicated Bushnell mount will work with it. They were very common on Contenders, so you will likely get a Contender mount with whatever you buy. Easy to adapt to your Moisin. I am making up an adapter to use a S&W mount for my K31, replacing the ladder. Because of the S&W mount (I think) I paid only $15.00 plus shipping. Only 20mm objective, so they ain't a low-light scope, but they work and they are a good value for money.

1Shirt
04-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys! Good info. Have a 2x tasco on one of my Swed's, and like you said they are ok for good light (and old eyes). Wouldn't hunt any of the long Milsurps anyhow, so it is just for range and the fun of shooting the old ones. (my Sweds are both over 100 years old, all matching nos, and bright clean bbls. Can't say the same for my Mosins, but want to play around with it, and think I will get a variable. Much appreciated responses.
1Shirt!

KCSO
04-17-2012, 09:20 AM
I sell the CDNN 2.75 with mounts in 30 mm for $55 PM me.

keyhole
04-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I started out with a 4X NC Star on a Finn M39. It was under $40 with shipping and rings. As you might expect it was not the best optic quality but it worked Ok and never failed after 500 rounds or so military j-word ammo. I replaced it last summer with a Simmons Pro Hunter 4x, which cost $86 from Graf & Sons. The optics are a lot better than the NC Star. Both are scout-type scopes. I bought the Simmons just to get better optics than what the NC Star offered.
Mount setup is SK. I have used SK mounts on several military rifles and found them very satisfactory. No drilling is involved, of course.
Normally for my rifles I buy Leopold but I balked at spending $300 for a scope on a rifle I bought for $85.

Keyhole