PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1873 Special Sporting Rifle

lead4me
04-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Well its finally in and waiting for me to purchase, but first any info before i pull the trigger on this rifle. This one is in 45LC with the 24 1/2" barrel A grade stock. So what I would like is the good/bad & ugly on these Uberti's. This would be the first Uberti that I will have purchased. I have a few other levers, Win & Marlins but always wanted an 1873.
Any info would be appreciated, thanks

joec
04-15-2012, 01:49 PM
I own a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt however I've shot the 1873 Uberti's owned by others. The owners seem to be very happy with them and the slick up nice for cowboy action shooting. I would guess more own them than any other brand at least in my group. The advantage they have is speed however they don't handle heavy loads well with the 1892 and 94 models will as they where designed with a stronger bolt design for smokeless powders. If you want a multi purpose gun that can handle heavier loads I recommend the Marlins, Winchester or Rossi however is SASS shooting is what you want it for then the 1873 Uberti is the gun to have. Just my personal opinion on this nothing more.

Larry Gibson
04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I shoot the same M73 that is PRCCs and also my own which is the 20" carbine. SWCs will give feeding problems so go with the RNFPs. I prefer the 200 gr RNFPs. I push them to 1150 fps to duplicate the original 44-40 ballistics which do not exceed any psi level for the 44-40 or the 45 Colt so they are very safe in that action.

My own carbine has the #3 "speed" toggle system and is very fast to stroke for CBA shooting. You also might want to get the leather "finger protector" for the lever if yours doesn't already have it. Make's a huge difference when shooting fast.

Larry Gibson

HDS
04-16-2012, 12:40 AM
I am so happy they have released the uberti in .44spl, will make it a lot easier for me to load for it. Want to get one and use it as a dedicated black powder cartridge platform. 44-40 would be more correct but I got so many 44mag/spl guns and bullets/brass already that I want to stick to one caliber.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Mine is about ten years old, and had a Paul Cooper SASS tune up. I load 200gr rfn to 1100fps, and it shoots as well as 62 year old eyes can see. It's just a lot of fun to pull out of a scabbard and start shooting. I want another Henry, just because...

Rich

lead4me
04-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I'm not a SASS shooter and I have a W375, M444 an a W30-30 to hunt with. The 1873 is one of those just gotta have rifles that will not be heavy loaded, just shot an enjoyed. Wanted one since a young boy watching western shows on TV.

Mike Brooks
04-16-2012, 04:24 AM
I have had one for 3 or 4 years in 45LC and 30" barrel. Always shot real BP and no troubles.

Four Fingers of Death
04-16-2012, 07:23 AM
I have the same rifle in 44/40. It cycles fast and smooth and is very accurate. Mine was 'gunsmithed' for cowboy action. After several attempts at addressing the deficiencies in the work done, it has been going well for a couple of years now. My friend who 'unsmithed' it said the original guy short stroked it by modifying the internals, not by swapping out parts. The original guys work has now worn to the point of the rifle almost grinding to a halt and once again it is in being completely rebuilt by a gunsmith that really knows his oats.

I would suggest leaving the rifle standard until it is thoroughly run in. If you do want to alter it, I would use drop in parts and that way it can be converted to standard if you so desire.

Absolutely brilliant rifle. My experience has been pretty much a worst case scenario, most of my mates ones have worked like clockwork.

I have only ever loaded RNFP boolits. The only factory ammo I have used (and I have used about 1000 throught it were the Winchester Cowboy ammo. Cowboy action level loads are the only sort of factory ammo I would use. I also have an early 1866 Uberti Yellow boy. I fired one Winchester JHP factory round through it and stretched the action. Took a lot of fancy gunsmithing to fix that. The 99 other rounds are still in my ammo locker. I now have an old 92 made in 1915 in 44/40. I will use the ammo in that.

They are a great rifle you will love it! We call them U-beauties! in Australia.

WinMike
04-16-2012, 02:44 PM
I recently bought the same rifle in .357 mag. As Larry notes above, mine won't feed SWC nor any bullet with a driving band above the crimp groove, and it's picky about chambering over-length ammo.

But why not? Originally, the rifle was chambered only for 40-44 (with the 38-44 & 32-20 to follow). Those calibers existed in LRN only....long before Elmer Keith perfected the SWC.

Incidentally, when Winchester attempted military sales, several sources indicate that feeding problems when chambered with 45 S&W and/or 45 Colt precluded adoption by the US Army.

All that notwithstanding, it's possibly the neatest rifle I've ever owned. Oddly accurate with these old eyes and the factory buckhorn (actually moose-horn) sights. I've eyed the various sites that smooth the action for CAS, but from the factory, with a little smoothing (how cool is it to take it apart!) and oiling, it's plenty smooth enough for my casual shooting.

And, FWIW, my avatar is a scene from the only movie ever named after a firearm: Jimmie Stewart in "Winchester '73".

2ndAmendmentNut
04-16-2012, 03:39 PM
I had pretty much the same rifle, same 45colt caliber, only difference was it had a 20" barrel. Beautiful, smooth rifle, and it would shoot about a 6" group at 100yards with factory sights and the same load intended for my Vaquero. It was picky about COL but that was really my only complaint, unfortunately I sold it off because I needed the money.

Mike Brooks
04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Mine isn't sensitive to COL. I can shoot 45LC or Schofields with no problem.

hightime
04-16-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm searching for a load. It seems to shoot Rem. factory loads fair, but all my loads are at best 2 to 3'' groups at only thirty yards. I sent it back. They did nothing. They said it was up to Uberti standards. If I don't get it to shoot, I'm going to get a good barrel.

Owen

Dan Cash
04-16-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm searching for a load. It seems to shoot Rem. factory loads fair, but all my loads are at best 2 to 3'' groups at only thirty yards. I sent it back. They did nothing. They said it was up to Uberti standards. If I don't get it to shoot, I'm going to get a good barrel.

Owen

Having less than stellar accuracy with a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt, I checked the twist; 1:32. That is NOT compatible with 265 grain bullets. Put a 200 grain wadcutter over 10 grain of Unique and the rifle is a star. Trouble is, I have no use for a 200 grain bullet in this gun. It may go on the market or go to the friendly sleeve master.

Mike Brooks
04-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Owen
Smokless or black?

hightime
04-16-2012, 08:40 PM
I've tried 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5 and 9. I've tried 230 gr. .452 RN, I've tried 230 gr. .455 dia RN, I've tried 250 gr, .454 dia. RNFP. and Rem .455 dia. 250 RN swaged.
A slug pushed thu the barrel measures .451.
I just loaded some BP loads and have yet to try them. Maybe I can post the results tomorrow night. I loaded 30 gr. of Goex FFg, wad and those Rem .455 250 RN. We'll see.

Owen

Mike Brooks
04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
To be honest, the only thing I ever used mine for was CAS. I loaded about 26gr. (volume) of what ever cheap BP I had on hand and a 1/8" grease cookie with the appropriate wads and a 200 or 250gr. RNFP. Fouling is yor worst enemy with BP. My load kept me going pretty accurately for 60 rounds or so with out swabbing.
I plan to do some work with mine at 100 yards with BP and smkeless. I figure 5 shots and a swab out with BP, no way around it and still maintain accuracy. I'll let you know how I do with smokeless. I have an 8 lb. can of SR 7625 I need to use up and have some 45LC recipies for it........I'll keep you posted. I expect to get some 4 or 5" groups....

hightime
04-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Against most all oppinions I went after a tight spot between the rear sight and the forarm. First I spent a couple hundred patches, brass brush and lead solvent. I was sure that lead wasn't the problem. I figured that I could fire lap , but that will get the whole barrel. I made a recipricating bore brush and wrapped it with fine steel wool. I had the tight spot out in a few mins. Now the slug pushes though with even pressure. It still doesn't shoot well. I've had the gun for about seven months and I have little to loose anymore.

Owen

Four Fingers of Death
04-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I have an 1866 and an 1873 Uberti and I also have a lot of friends that have them, never heard of one that was inaccurate before. That is bad luck

hightime
04-17-2012, 02:00 PM
It's the first time I've tried BP. I was hoping that would do it, but alas, No.

Owen

Four Fingers of Death
04-17-2012, 09:53 PM
It's the first time I've tried BP. I was hoping that would do it, but alas, No.

Owen

You don't mention lube in the above load. Did you add any lube like a lube cookie or wad over an overpowder wad (milk carton cardboard is good for this. BP Loves lube.