PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 leakage fix?

m stevenson
04-06-2007, 02:31 AM
Hi folks, I have a few Lyman 45's I've accumulated. They work fine, except for the leakage around the top of the die, and sometimes around the set screw.
Has anyone found a good method to stop the leaks, or is it just a fact of life with this design?

Mark

JSH
04-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Mark, if you do a search you should find a lot of answers to the above questions. I think leakes were fixed or slowed with alum shims to teflon tape, quite a bit of info around here some place. Or it may have been on the "old" board....................
Jeff

imashooter2
04-06-2007, 07:24 AM
I made washers from foam disposable plates that helped, but the fix was to buy new pressure nuts from Lyman. The new double O ring nuts made for the 450 and 4500 retrofit into the 45 perfectly.

Oops... wrong leak. Don't tighten the set screw real tight and keep the pressure as low as you can and still fill the grooves. Only use dies with an O ring seal. The old style dies without O rings will leak no matter what you do (from my experience anyway).

KCSO
04-06-2007, 09:11 AM
If you had original 45 dies you would notice little if any leakage as they were made to closer tolerance than the later ones. The also had a large indent for the set screw and thye should not be tight. The newer O ring dies really need an indent made in them and some need shimmed. I solved the problem the Buchshot way and just made what I needed and made them to a tight fit. The other solution is to not pressure up so much and just hit the handle every other bullet.