PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Shop Purchase needs help!

Pop_No_Kick
07-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Purchased a Universal M1 .30 Carbine Civilian Model Mfg. late 70's
with 2 30 Rnd. Clips and sling.
Paid $110.00 for the lot..Not Bad

Shot some Store bought Winchester brand. 110 gr. M1 Carbine.

And I Experiance what I would Call Short Recoil Stopage.

After say 3 shot i would get a 11 O'clocker in the Feed chamber
After I Clear it, another 3 maybe 5 shots same failure

This is not the same as my Mil. M1 Carbine.

I Cleaned and roded (wired) the gas port holes
Think'n maybe the gas piston Worn out..

Any Help Would be Apreciated!!!

Thanx's
Chuck

45 2.1
07-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Try a real military 15 round magazine, most all of the 30 rounders do not work and feed correctly.

lar45
07-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Chuck, sounds like you bought a lemon.
You should sell it to me for double and save yourself the headache.

Pop_No_Kick
07-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Try a real military 15 round magazine, most all of the 30 rounders do not work and feed correctly.

I tried My 15 rnd. GI issues, They Did insert better But did not help
I think the gun was never really cleaned and lubed.

The Bore is bright almost new no pits and strong land's & groves
after a good lube it did work a little better every other clip it
begins to short recoil. I removed the stock and there is large carbon
build up (like a spray) coming out of the piston.

I will order one from MIDWAY Tuesday. they want $14.00 +Ship.

Thanks for Suggestion. I really did'nt think the mags were interchangable
I just thought they looked similar (Mag. construction was dif.)

Lets see if a new piston helps.

Thanx's
Chuck

Pop_No_Kick
07-03-2005, 01:25 AM
Chuck, sounds like you bought a lemon.
You should sell it to me for double and save yourself the headache.

Lar45, Maybe you have some exp. with these rifles ?

Chuck

lar45
07-05-2005, 03:23 AM
Lar45, Maybe you have some exp. with these rifles ?

Chuck
Nope, none at all. The wife used to shoot one with friends before I came along. She always talked about how much fun it was to shoot. Everything that I have seen was either $500+ or a ***.

Never hurts to ask though.

beagle
07-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Could be the piston but I doubt it. I'd try replacing the recoil spring and spring guide and see if that won't make matters better. As well as I recall, GI parts fits the Universals as I had one about 30 years ago.

I shot several thousand rounds through one this past winter. After all was tested, I loaded 200 rounds of the remainder of 6 different cast bullets off the bench and fired them with only three stoppages. Then another lot ran 100 rounds with no stoppages. This was all with cast and loading 20 rounds at a whack in 30 round mags.

Carbon spray coming from the piston is normal./beagle

Pop_No_Kick
07-15-2005, 04:15 AM
Your GREAT ! Frank, and u 2 Beagle. !!!
That's what it was. The rods had some very small rough spots
on them. prob. from the orig. owner not cleaning the rifle
i used some 400 grit wet sand paper followed by some ultra fine steel wool. now this thang shot 100 rnds storeboughts
with-out one stopage!! shoots fast and some what accr.
also had no prob's with the 30 rnd. mags.

Thank's for the help Frank..
Look'n Forward to the Lafayette Gune show Saterday, So see ya' there. I'll Bring your Lino too.

Thanx's For the Great Shooter
Chuck

beagle
07-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Now that you got her shooting storebought, you need to try cast. Takes a bit of tinkering and the right bullet but she'll shuck cast out like a dog standing under a persimon tree. Look for a round nose and either a GC or PB....makes no difference. I'm partial to the 311008 as I have a HP version. With these, you need to size with a round nose TP so they'll "bump" to a RN configuration and feed.

I thought there might be problems with the gas system but I put over 2,000 rounds of cast (both GC and PB)through my carbine last winter and checked the piston recess 3 times and maybe removed 10 grains of lead the whole time. Plenty of fouling but Ed's Red knocked that in the head really quick./beagle

Pop_No_Kick
07-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Now that you got her shooting storebought, you need to try cast. Takes a bit of tinkering and the right bullet but she'll shuck cast out like a dog standing under a persimon tree. Look for a round nose and either a GC or PB....makes no difference. I'm partial to the 311008 as I have a HP version. With these, you need to size with a round nose TP so they'll "bump" to a RN configuration and feed.

I thought there might be problems with the gas system but I put over 2,000 rounds of cast (both GC and PB)through my carbine last winter and checked the piston recess 3 times and maybe removed 10 grains of lead the whole time. Plenty of fouling but Ed's Red knocked that in the head really quick./beagle

Thanx's for the great info. Beagle do you got a "grain of salt" load with that mold to start off with I have plenty IRM 4227..

Thanx's
Chuck

C1PNR
07-15-2005, 09:34 PM
FWIW, I've been shooting mine with 12 to 13 H 4227 behind the 311359 PT GC for years. No problems feeding with that pointed nose, and shoots Carbine accurate. No sign of any leading, either.

Pop_No_Kick
07-18-2005, 03:09 AM
FWIW, I've been shooting mine with 12 to 13 H 4227 behind the 311359 PT GC for years. No problems feeding with that pointed nose, and shoots Carbine accurate. No sign of any leading, either.

Thanks for That Load. I got Plenty of the IMR 4227
Need to get a mould !

Thanx's
Chuck