PDA

View Full Version : Black powder life

Krfresno
04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
I have several cans of goex black powder in the original cans. How long will this powder store and be usable. It has always been stored inside. Thanks for the info.

04-14-2012, 11:46 PM
At least a few hundred years. Seriously

Boerrancher
04-15-2012, 12:48 AM
405 is right, a couple hundred years if it is stored properly is not out of the question. I have read stories about civil war guns that have been found loaded and when the load was pulled the powder was still good. I can assure you that it will last a lot longer than smokeless will. I have had smokeless go bad in less than 20 years. One was a double based powder and the other was an 8 lb jug of AA3100. The AA 3100 had never been opened. A buddy of mine was cleaning out some of his dad's things and there was a can of Goex from the 1950's. He brought it to me and I shot it up and never noticed any difference in the new can that I was using as well. Put it up, keep it dry, and don't worry about it. If it gets wet spread it out on a news paper and let it dry for a few days it will be fine.

Best wishes,

Joe

Bullet Caster
04-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Yup. I've got several cans of black powder that I've had since the early 90's. I keep it inside in a closet in a wooden crate and it still shoots great. Just keep your powder dry!!! BC

Lead Fred
04-15-2012, 03:29 AM
Shot up my 1970s and 80s stuff, and working on my 1990s cans right now.
It may take my grand boy to get into the 2000s powder

I have an loaded 1873 45/70 round. Someday, Ill take it apart and use the powder and boolit in a new case & primer, just to see.....

bob208
04-15-2012, 09:15 PM
it is very questionable how long it will last. send it to me for proper testing and desposal in a safe manner.

DIRT Farmer
04-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Long story on how I got it but I shot some US issue from 1864 stored in a wooden keg a few years ago. It shot fine in my modern (caplock) and flint shotguns. Any misses were my fault

GOPHER SLAYER
04-16-2012, 10:26 PM
In the early 1960s I watched a friend tare open a paper cartridge loaded during the civil war, pour the powder on the sidewalk and strike a match. When he lite the powder it exploded and burned the hair off his right hand. Very stupid thing to do. Those cartridges were loade in packs of eight with a lable showing the date and location of mfg. Those were loade by women at the St. Louis Arsanel in August of 1863. Age didn't seem to effect that black powder.

FLINTNFIRE
05-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Long story on how I got it but I shot some US issue from 1864 stored in a wooden keg a few years ago. It shot fine in my modern (caplock) and flint shotguns. Any misses were my fault

I would like to read that story , sounds like a great find

DIRT Farmer
05-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Short version, a museum had a Cival war diarama of a gun emplacement including a powder keg. While cleaning the area, a staff member noticed the keg eas heiver than expected and checked. The muesum was closed and an emergency meeting of the board was called. Ideas ran the options, including calling the bomb squad to dispose of the powder but the worry was how the public would react to their over sight on as they saw it a very dangerous situation. One of the bord members spoke up and said her husband shot black powder, he would know how to dispose of it. He was called in to the meeting and after informing the board he would tackle the obvious dangerous job gratus in defrrance to his wife's long service and love for the muesum, he told them the attending public would never know.
His story, he with great care (and a no libality clause he signed prepared by the board attornary) carefully removed the keg to the back of the pickup, secured the keg and left for the temperary storage facility (his shop) till it could be destroyed and put in approperate temperary storage containers, ie one pound containers. The keg was washed several times, dryed and returned to the display. I can assure you that my dedication to preserving history and supporting muesums, I was dilligant in my part of proper disposal of the can I was given.

Hanshi
05-08-2012, 05:02 PM
It'll be around and viable well after you are.

Bullet Caster
05-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Wow! Great story DIRT Farmer. Ya just gotta love those museums. What a find! I wish I could say that I shot some powder from the Civil War. You need to pass that story on down to grandkids if possible. BC

DIRT Farmer
05-08-2012, 07:52 PM
If I had been the thinking kind I would have loaded up the oldest grandsons shotgun with some, but he was shooting a match and doing well so I decided "that" day not to mess up the round. Some times I tend to over think things.

FLINTNFIRE
05-10-2012, 10:36 AM
That is the correct way to dispose history , what a find , good powder at the right price , thank you for sharing

FRJ
05-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Black powder is made of 3 basic elements and there fore wont decompose!!!!It will probably last thousands of years if kept clean. FRJ