PDA

View Full Version : Flintlock pistol

single shot jimmy
04-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Well now I've done it. Picked up a flintlock pistol today. Smooth bore, measures .530 diameter. Need a flint. Already have .530 round balls for slugging a barrel. No room for a patch though with that ball. Can you shoot them without a patch? Need to get some 4f for the pan or can I use 2f? How much to load? I'm guessing to start at 30 to 50 grains.

Plastikosmd
04-14-2012, 07:57 PM
I would start in the 20's and work up from there, 25 maybe. 2f in the pan isnt the best, 4f is better. Here is some advise here if in a 'pinch' http://www.huntstrategies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335
I would patch the ball. Have fun!

single shot jimmy
04-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks! I have been searching for info. Rechecked the bore with a tel guage. It is closer to .538 or .540. Made in Spain. Can't wait to go shoot.

twotoescharlie
04-14-2012, 08:32 PM
put a small amount of powder in a tablespoon and crush with a teaspoon. I repeat a small amount. I havebeen making my priming powder like this for years.

TTC

DIRT Farmer
04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
If the ball will load, use some wadding under the ball. Be sure to use wadding or a card over the ball to keep it from rolling forward.

Use a small amount of powder in a tea cup, crush it some with the handlle of a wooden spoon, non sparking and all of that. The result will be unglazed priming, works fine for target. The Swiss nul B that I use is very fine un glazed, and fast except in damp weather. Goex ffffg works better in rough conditions.

Boerrancher
04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks! I have been searching for info. Rechecked the bore with a tel guage. It is closer to .538 or .540. Made in Spain. Can't wait to go shoot.

If it is actually .538 to .540 I would find some thin cotton for a patch for material and try patching your round ball. Some smoothies shoot good with a patch, while others seem to do better with a round ball sandwiched between a grease cookie and a card wad to keep the ball from rolling out the barrel. Try both ways and see which one your gun likes best.

Best wishes,

Joe

waksupi
04-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Don't get too rambunctious with your powder charge in those old Spanish pistols.

mooman76
04-15-2012, 11:40 AM
There are a few moulds out they a little smaller than .530 if you look. Not easy to find but they are out there. Took me awhile to find one. My rifle is a 54 but with a really tight barrel. Hopefully you don't need it and can go with the standard .530 balls. I also fould that flannel makes a ok patch. Not the best but it does have allot of give to it so it packs down good in a tight barrel.

missionary5155
04-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Good morning
Down in the bottom of your 2F can you will find some very fine powder that works great in the pan. 3f will work OK also.. at least 3F has set off all my flint pistols that have a good flint on a hardened frizzen. But again down in the bottom of powder cans resides that fine, powdery, easy to ignite pan powder.
Mike in Peru