PDA

View Full Version : Why do we love levers?

Four Fingers of Death
07-02-2005, 07:32 AM
They don't handle pressure like bolt guns, they are rear lockers and are hard on brass, they arent telescopic sight friendly as a rule and don't shoot cartridges which have flat trajectories and aren't as accurate as bolt rifles, but we love them, why?

I usually find that most people have one lever at one stage or another, a Winchester 94 in 30/30 in Australia, but move on as soon as they get a bit of experience, never to return to levers. The guy who persists with levers and goes on to own several is a different breed and is as often as not a boolit caster as well.

Did we see too many cowboy movies? Did you see Hopalong on that porch with the 92 eject a shell from the rifle and catch it in a fluid motion? Did you practice that until you could do it too? Did the hair on the back of your neck raise up when John Wayne twirled his lever gun as Rooster Cogburn as he told Ned Pepper to fill his hand?

9.3X62AL
07-02-2005, 07:55 AM
I cannot think of a time in my shooting life that a lever rifle wasn't a part of things I did afield. My first deer was taken with a lever rifle. A lever rifle was the first centerfire I shouldered at about age 8. A glance into my gun safe shows about an even number of bolt and lever action centerfires, one single shot and one autoloader.

In the USA, we think of the lever rifle as largely an American affinity, but it seems that Australia has some fondness for the critters too. I'm sure that the Westward expansion stories and legends are a part of the attraction to leverguns, but the same elements that made the tools so much a part of that time period still serve us well today. They WORK, and they keep on working in poor environments/conditions. They aren't seem a lot at Camp Perry, but they are accurate enough for most hunting scenarios in this country--and come in a wide range of power levels to fit most game species. Specific to our board--the calibers that leverguns use are usually VERY well-adapted to cast boolit usage.

Yep, I love 'em too.

waksupi
07-02-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm sure Lucas McCain, as The Rifleman, influenced many of us, long before Rooster Cogburn came along.
And I'm pretty sure that most of our first BB guns were lever actions. I guess it's part of the early training, introduction, and initiation into the shooting sports that sticks with us.

45 2.1
07-02-2005, 10:48 AM
They don't handle pressure like bolt guns, they are rear lockers and are hard on brass, they arent telescopic sight friendly as a rule and don't shoot cartridges which have flat trajectories and aren't as accurate as bolt rifles, but we love them, why?

Exceptions to every one of those! Why, i'm left handed, thats why.

KCSO
07-02-2005, 12:07 PM
From about 1920 to 1960 the most popular first gun for kids was a Daisy BB gun. The daisy was made as a pump or a lever, but the levers outsold the pumps by about 10 to 1. Add this to the fact that from 1866 to 1930 the various levers were the top selling guns and you have a pretty solid base. In my neck of the woods 40 years ago most of the farmers had either a 30-30 or a sporterized down military rifle. We couldn't afford anything else. When the 788 Remington was introduced it was like a gift from heaven, a factory bolt for a hundred dollars. At the same time a 30-30 Winchester sold for $78.50 with a box of shells. My first 30-30 was bought used and cost me $35.00 it killed deer just as dead as my neighbors 788 243. I have carried a Rossi 357 rifle as a companion to a 357 pistol for a good many years (1971?), statring back before PATROL RIFLE was popular.
I guess once you have it in your blood it just stays forever.

txpete
07-02-2005, 04:25 PM
come on guys ya know those fancy bolt guns will never catch on :)
pete

Otony
07-02-2005, 08:05 PM
'Cause we are left handed?

:-P

KCSO
07-02-2005, 11:09 PM
It is interesting that the bolt gun was a contemporary of the lever gun in the US (Mauser Patent 1869?) and that many were tried from then till 1892 and it was WWII before they really caught on. Maybe if it wern't for cheap surplus bolt guns we would ALL still be shooting levers?

Buckshot
07-03-2005, 07:20 AM
.............I only have 2 leverguns. Both Marlin 1893's. One is a 38-55 the other a 30-30. I think they're just kind of fun to work? You know, down goes the lever, the bolt comes back and an empty goes glittering out, back up with the lever and squeeze off another. Repeat as needed :D

They're generally light and easy to carry. They're narrow and especially the pistol cartridge versions, carry an adequate supply of ready to use ammo aboard.

Not long after I'd aquired my M93 in 38-55 I'd loaded up some jacketed 220gr SP's. Since it has a half mag it only holds 4 in reserve but I had one in the chamber. I stood there and shucked out 5 empties as fast as I could work the lever and aquire the gong at 200 meters. My shooting buddy Ron just stared at me all goggle eyed. It was on out of character display. Out of character for shooting jacketed ammo and then for shooting so fast.

He called me Hoseman for a few weeks after that. I just had the jacketed stuff to get an idea of the accuracy of the thing.

................Buckshot

kenjuudo
07-03-2005, 07:41 AM
They are fun! I don't expect MOA groups. Just get up on your hind legs and chase pop cans.

jim

jethrow strait
07-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Never had much use for levers; accuracy and range being my game. Got rid of the three I had 7-8 years ago, and vowed never to own one again. Now, I've got a half-dozen.

Old 99s got me going, a 1909 in .303 Savage and a 1916 in 250-3000, both takedowns, but accurate, beyond words in the case of the 250-3000.

New Marlins---a couple of those long-barreled 'cowboy' versions---convinced me that traditional levers "could be" very accurate as well. The 44 Mag more accurate than the few bolts I've shot in that caliber and the 38-55 close on the heels of single shots, with fodder it likes.

Old Marlins---these with traditional rifling too. Got a c.1950 336 Sporting carbine in 32 Special for it's cast-friendly chacteristics and 'long range' NRA Cowboy Lever Silwet shooting. It did not disappoint! And last, a blue worn through to the copper underlay Marlin 1893 in 32-40(1908 vintage), with a fine bore. It's a tack driver, second only to the 250-3000, in spite of being a relic banded carbine.

They are all accurate as most bolt-gun milsurps and and even a couple scoped sporters. Since, most of the time, being 'at the range' is more important to me these days than the week or two I do long-range open country hunting, these levers in irons have become 'keepers'!----------------jethrow

Oldfeller
07-03-2005, 09:49 AM
For me, levers were an aquired taste. I never thought they could be "as accurate as a bolt gun". I learned differently though, that in the world of cast lead shooting a lever action can be equally accurate as a bolt gun (or even better as I was amazed to find out).

My current best, most accurate lead load fires out of a Marlin 30A lever action which was bought as a junker pawn shop gun to prove out a new lead bullet called the FAT 30 then the gun was to be sold quickly as "levers are no good for very much".

Uh, it is now among the last guns that I would sell .....

Levers can be very neat and VERY EFFECTIVE in cast shooting with the right bullet and load. Lots of places on the web will tell you how to slick up a Marlin action and a few will show you how to lighten up the trigger a small safe bit.

Levers are an unexpectedly good thing.

Oldfeller

jh45gun
07-04-2005, 08:24 PM
First rifle was a Marlin 336 30/30. got rid of it when I inerited my dads 30/30 Win 94 after he passed on. Nothing wrong with the Marlin they are good guns I just always had a preference for the Winchester. My brother wound up with the Win 94 as a payment for something and I did not have a lever for years. Bought a Win 94 post made in 64 a couple of years ago after not having one as I said in a long time. Kinda neat that it is made in 64 as that is the year I turned 12 and if my dad would have had the cash I may have wound up with a new Win. Instead I got the used Marlin a couple of years later. I now Kick my self for not having one of these fun to shoot and nice rifles around. I shot a deer last year with my 94 for old times sake. It worked as well then as it did when they first came out they just plain work for deer and I suppose other critters. I got rid of my SKS a few years ago when I got the lever Win 94. I figured if I am going to shoot that level of power in a shell might as well use my 94 for a defense gun. I think it just plain shoots better and is more handy and has been playing the role of a defense gun long before the SKS was even thought of. After shooting the Win 94 again when it came time to get a 22 Mag I chose a Henry Lever in 22 mag. That too is a great gun and very accurate. It has become my gun of choice when I want a rifle in the truck in case I want to dispatch a critter or what ever. I too am left handed so the lever is nice even though I do own right handed bolt guns. ( Milsurps ) Yea westerns may have had something to do with it but I think the biggest thing was when I grew old enough to hunt in the early 60's every one I knew in our family and others hunted with lever guns from older 94 rifles and carbines in 30/30 to my Aunts Savage 99 in 300 Savage. A few Folks that hunted with us had Winchester Model 71's in 348. One other guy had a Marlin but most were Winchesters maybe that is why I prefer them over the others. Jim

Bear4570
07-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Because they are light, easy to carry, easy to shoulder, and most have acceptable accuracy...then there is the cool factor. They are just cool...
I have a variety of different long guns, but when it comes to going to the range for fun....its a lever gun that goes along. Would never be without one.

Marlin 39a .22lr
Marlin .444
Marlin Ltd VI .45/70
Marlin 336 cb 38/55
Marlin 336 30/30 Second Year Production
Rossi Large Loop Trapper .357 mag
Rossi Large Loop Trapper .45 colt
Rossi carbine .44 mag
Ruger 96/44 .44 mag
Winchester 30/30 Canadian Commerative

I just love lever guns...........................

Four Fingers of Death
07-06-2005, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE=Bear4570]Because they are light, easy to carry, easy to shoulder, and most have acceptable accuracy...then there is the cool factor. They are just cool...

I have always called levers with big boolits punkin rollers, no doubt that is an american expression

Four Fingers of Death
07-06-2005, 07:48 AM
I only ever used a lever as a defence firearm once in the early sixties. I was at mum's house and I heard someone tampering with the window of the kitchen. I was in my twenties, fit as a mallee bull and I opened the back window, tippy toed up behind the scoundrel who was trying to open the wndow and placing the barrel against the back of the person's ear, racked the lever placing a 44 Mag 24o Gn Norma Hollowpoint in the chamber. The perpretrator froze, shame it was my sister. It was the only time she instantly obeyed her older brother. She had been on the town and was trying to sneak in.

leverfan
07-08-2005, 04:11 PM
They don't handle pressure like bolt guns, they are rear lockers and are hard on brass, they arent telescopic sight friendly as a rule and don't shoot cartridges which have flat trajectories and aren't as accurate as bolt rifles....

The first gun I ever fired was a Winchester 88, and it's the exact opposite of everything you listed there. :grin: The one I used was chambered in 308 Winchester, locks in the front, is easy on brass, is made for telescopic sights, and will shoot tight groups all day long. Heck, it even loads with a detachable magazine. The BLR can be had in a wide array of magnum calibers, and the 99 is no slouch, either, because all those models, and a few others, can use spitzer bullets in high pressure rounds.

I grew up shooting lever guns because my dad is a lefty, and all his rifles are lever guns. My grandfather and great grandfather owned lots of lever guns because they grew up in an era when the lever was king in American long arms. I didn't shoot a centerfire rifle other than lever guns until I was in my twenties. That gave me plenty of time to learn that old fashioned lever guns will handle 98% of hunting situations, and the new fangled levers will handle the other 2%.

Playing at my grandfather's house when I was a kid, all I had to do was look up on the walls to see what a model '94 in 30-30 could do. Huge elk racks, and plenty of everything else this region has to offer, all hanging on the wall thanks to grandpa's ability with his old long barreled '94. Movies and mystique had nothing to do with it, I just grew up knowing they worked fine. I suppose that's why I picked the handle I use everywhere except the SASS site, where I'm Wampum Goode.

Four Fingers of Death
07-11-2005, 08:55 AM
The first gun I ever fired was a Winchester 88, and it's the exact opposite of everything you listed there. :grin: The one I used was chambered in 308 Winchester, locks in the front, is easy on brass, is made for telescopic sights, and will shoot tight groups all day long. Heck, it even loads with a detachable magazine. The BLR can be had in a wide array of magnum calibers, and the 99 is no slouch, either, because all those models, and a few others, can use spitzer bullets in high pressure rounds.

I grew up shooting lever guns because my dad is a lefty, and all his rifles are lever guns. My grandfather and great grandfather owned lots of lever guns because they grew up in an era when the lever was king in American long arms. I didn't shoot a centerfire rifle other than lever guns until I was in my twenties. That gave me plenty of time to learn that old fashioned lever guns will handle 98% of hunting situations, and the new fangled levers will handle the other 2%.

Playing at my grandfather's house when I was a kid, all I had to do was look up on the walls to see what a model '94 in 30-30 could do. Huge elk racks, and plenty of everything else this region has to offer, all hanging on the wall thanks to grandpa's ability with his old long barreled '94. Movies and mystique had nothing to do with it, I just grew up knowing they worked fine. I suppose that's why I picked the handle I use everywhere except the SASS site, where I'm Wampum Goode.

I have always fancied an 88 in a good woods calibre, but when they have come up for sale here, I have only ever seen them in 243 and they have been a bit rattly most of the time. Nice calibre, but I fancy one in 308 or better. If I ever strike a really good one, I suppose I should buy it and rebarrel it to 358 or similar. 375 Atomic perhaps?

Had anybody ever seen the old Sako levers. Looked similar to the 88. I don't know about the internals though.

Mick.

PS My first new rifle was a 1894 in 44Mag. Bought a Lee Loader as well as some components and started on the path to financial ruin saving money reloading. I wouldn't have it any other way!

carpetman
07-11-2005, 01:40 PM
4fingerMick---I've ran across more .308's in the Win 88 than .243's. I have one in .308 that I wish was .243----atleast a year ago I posted I was giving it to my grandson. We still haven't gone and shot it. I also posted I was giving him my van---that has happened---one outta two aint bad.

Four Fingers of Death
07-12-2005, 07:44 AM
4fingerMick---I've ran across more .308's in the Win 88 than .243's. I have one in .308 that I wish was .243----atleast a year ago I posted I was giving it to my grandson. We still haven't gone and shot it. I also posted I was giving him my van---that has happened---one outta two aint bad.

Funny isn't it. Although all of the 100 semi autos I have seen were in 308W. On another post guys were talking about how rare 32/20 1892 winchesters were. These are freely available here, often pretty rough, but a new Bbl or liner and you are in business. The ones here are nearly all half magazine ones as that is what was popular in Australia.

Mick.

NVcurmudgeon
07-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Mick, If you could become an international firearms merchant and ship those widely available half magazine .32/20s here, your fortune would be made. The typical American 92 is a .44/40 carbine with full length magazine tube. I don't remember ever seeing a half magazine 92. I guess Australians are better shots than Americans and don't need so much magazine capacity!

txbirdman
07-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Funny that the conversation should turn to the '92 Winchester in 32/20. A pawn shop I often frequent has an old half magazine '92 that has a serial# close to 100,000. The old gun looks pretty rough. I'll bet it could tell some stories. The guy has it marked at $495 but told me he'd take $350. Anybody want to take a road trip to North Central Texas?

VP
07-13-2005, 04:24 AM
They don't handle pressure like bolt guns, they are rear lockers and are hard on brass, they arent telescopic sight friendly as a rule and don't shoot cartridges which have flat trajectories and aren't as accurate as bolt rifles, but we love them, why? I am looking at the Uberti repros of the Henry 1860, and the Winchester product-improved Henry, (the model 1866 Winchester), and the 1873 Winchester. Any advice on whether to go with the '66 or the '73? In .45 LC caliber. Thanks in advance ...

BOOM BOOM
07-14-2005, 01:35 PM
HI,
Heck they're just fun!
The Finwolf, the BLR, Win 88, & Sav 99 all came in 308 & 243, then there was the to die for 284 win. Noone mentioned the Win & BLR in 30/06. Now they are even chambered in 7MM Mag.

jethrow strait
07-14-2005, 03:14 PM
VP, assuming you have a passing familiarity with all three, I'd suggest just going with your guts.

I picked up an older 1866 Uberti rifle in 44-40 about six months ago, after eyeing them toggle-links for nearly ten years. I'm extremely pleased with it; more accurate than I ever imagined such an Italian repro would be.

You could make lil lists of pluses and minuses, but imho that doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Because of the smooth, but weak, toggle-link action, none of them should be pushed. I just liked the heft of that gunmetal receiver, and very much disliked the high prices of all of em. So, when one showed up on consignment at half of current list at a shop that owed me some money, I took the leap.

Good Luck! You may need it, if price is a consideration, cause they are darlins of the Cowboy Action crowd-----and these days there's the currently lousy exchange rate with the Euro to boot! --------jethrow

leverfan
07-15-2005, 03:19 AM
I am looking at the Uberti repros of the Henry 1860, and the Winchester product-improved Henry, (the model 1866 Winchester), and the 1873 Winchester. Any advice on whether to go with the '66 or the '73? In .45 LC caliber. Thanks in advance ...

That '73 sure is easy to clean and easy to work on. And, it has a movie named after it, can't forget that!

Ranch Dog
07-15-2005, 06:49 PM
I grew up with the levergun in my home as my dad swore by them. In hunting camps of the late '60s and early '70s I could see my dad was the rebel toting one as everyone else was shooting bolt guns. My father killed the hell out of deer, turkeys and hogs. I admired it then and now.

When the 444 was introduced I wanted one in a big way. He thought that silly as the 30-30 was such an efficient killer. I ended up with two along with bunch of other Marlins. My dad still hunts with his M94 but really enjoys being able to shoot my Marlins.

Lever-hunting-gun accuracy... checkout Ranch Dog's Postal Match III...

PMIII Rules - Hunter Match (http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=17958)

Hunter Match - Open Sights... Targets Shot at 50 Yards
http://my.awesomenet.net/~shiela1/images/PMIII/Scoreboard%20Hunter-Open%20Sights.gif

Hunter Match - Scopes... Targets Shot at 100 Yards
http://my.awesomenet.net/~shiela1/images/PMIII/Scoreboard%20Hunter-Scopes.gif

Four Fingers of Death
07-15-2005, 07:11 PM
VP, assuming you have a passing familiarity with all three, I'd suggest just going with your guts.

I picked up an older 1866 Uberti rifle in 44-40 about six months ago, after eyeing them toggle-links for nearly ten years. I'm extremely pleased with it; more accurate than I ever imagined such an Italian repro would be.

You could make lil lists of pluses and minuses, but imho that doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Because of the smooth, but weak, toggle-link action, none of them should be pushed. I just liked the heft of that gunmetal receiver, and very much disliked the high prices of all of em. So, when one showed up on consignment at half of current list at a shop that owed me some money, I took the leap.

Good Luck! You may need it, if price is a consideration, cause they are darlins of the Cowboy Action crowd-----and these days there's the currently lousy exchange rate with the Euro to boot! --------jethrow

When my friend saw my Trapper he fell in love with it and just had to have it, so we swapped. It came with several boxes of Winchester factory ammo and a box of reloads that the local gunsmith had loaded for it. I have had nothing but trouble with it. With the first factory round it just locked up and broke off a part inside. Got it fixed with a new spring and a new part and hand fitted the elevator where it was binding (it hadn't been fired in 20years and te smithfelt that the brass frame had settled some. Then it wouldn't fire reliably, retempered the spring and cleaned up the parts around the hammer which were lacking clearance. Still no good. While I was waiting to get back to the guy who fixed it I took some of the reloads out to the range and tried one trying to eliminate the Magtec factory stuff as the problem (I didn't want to keep working on the rifle if the ammo batch was faulty). Guess what? Locked up again. I think he must have been reloading with a 94Win 44/40 in mind, they are very common in Australia and were available non stop until the late 80s. Well its back in the safe awaiting a drive south. I'm gonna strip all of the factory rounds and he reloads with the Kinetic hammer and start again. My friend has offered to return my trapper or buy the 66 back ( he has paid for the repairs so far, he's like me, won't let a few dollars come between a friendship) and I have since picked up a pair of Rossis, a used not very old blued 357 and a new stainless 44mag. I still like the looks and heft of the 66, and prefer it over thr rossi carbines, so I will probably persist with it, but from now on, if I didn't load it or its not a factory cowboy load, it ain't going in my yella gun. i might even try ackbl derpow (what my ex french police calls black powder, apparently the crooks there take the first part of a word and stick them it on the back of the word as their underground lingo. If you see a french movie called ruptcor (corrupt) hire it, it is an entertaining movie about a corrupt old cop and his new young partner who has been sent to straighten him out, true to form, he didn't do much good.

Mick.

Four Fingers of Death
07-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Mick, If you could become an international firearms merchant and ship those widely available half magazine .32/20s here, your fortune would be made. The typical American 92 is a .44/40 carbine with full length magazine tube. I don't remember ever seeing a half magazine 92. I guess Australians are better shots than Americans and don't need so much magazine capacity!

First time that I have stepped into a gunstore since I spoke to you guys last and believe it or not there were two 32/20s, hex Bbls with half magazines on the shelf. This is pretty well how all of the examples I have ever come across are set up. The serial numbers were 122xxx and 164xxx. I memorised the first three digits only. One was $A 275 and the other one was $A 350 or 375. The cheaper one was well worn, but still looked serviceable (I had my wife in the car and she is not well so I didn't spend much time checking them out). The dearer one was very good. Bbl ok and while most of the finish was worn the wood and metal was in good condition. I need another lever gun like a hole in the head, but it looked very tempting. I can't remember which was which. I think the higher serial number was the better one, but I can't swear to it. He had some very interesting stuff there, a Swede with the end of the forewood trimmed and a very old Redfield (I think) micrometer peep sight fitted ($350, a bit dear, but the sight is worth $200 out here) and an M17Eddystone in good nick for $250. Then there was a few muzzle loaders and a custom rifle on a Winchester M17 action, the beat goes on......

I also picked up a pound of Unique! This (and other Alliant powders) is now available in Australia after an absence of more than ten years!

Griff
07-20-2005, 05:12 PM
1st long gun I bought for myself was Win '94 in .44Mag made in '70, paid $90 fer it through the Navy Exchange, followed that with winning a '71 mfg'd Win mdl 64 in .30-30. Since then I've acquired 23 pre '64 Win 94s in a variety of calibers, mostly .30-30, 3 Rossi '92s and a Uberti '73. Not to mention my Browning .45-70 1886. Love Levers, no that's an understatement! [smilie=l:
Have a Marlin lever shotgun that I'm still working on to make function right, and the wife bought me a 1874 Sharps for graduating the police academy. So, out of all the levers I own which do I love the best. Impossible to answer, but my favorite to shoot is a post '64 Win 94 that I put a Numrich 26" bbl. on, w/a crescent buttplate and had prettied up. Have won a couple of long range lever matches with it. Right after that is the Sharps.
Just so you don't think I'm infatuated with levers, I own a bolt rifle and a semi-auto (M-1 Garand), but I don't think they've been fired in at least 10 years.
Why should I, when I've got a lever that can do just about anything either of them can do.
Cast bullets, jacketed, smokeless or BP, they just have a feel and aura that beats any modern arm. Well, ok; maybe the Gatlin has a better feel, but, I can't afford to feed one of 'em. [smilie=l:

Four Fingers of Death
07-21-2005, 07:09 AM
has anyone got any idea how old the two carbines are that I mentioned above? The serial numbbers are 122xxx and 164xxx. Only memorised the first two three digits.

drinks
07-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Mick;
If they are 1892s, very early, my 1892 .44-40 carbine is 660xxx and was made in 1910, I have heard of some ***** Winchesters in OZ, so you might be refering to 1894s, if so , my 1894 .32sp long rifle is 187xxx and was made in 1900.

leverfan
07-22-2005, 02:43 AM
Mick-
If those are '92s, and I expect they are, the 122xxx was made about 1896, and the 164xxx was made about 1898. I say "about", just because I don't know your exact serial numbers.

In the very unlikely event you're talking about '94s of some mutant variety that made it down under, which I sincerely doubt, they were made in 1898 and 1899, give or take a year, based on those numbers.

The Nyack Kid
07-23-2005, 12:08 PM
I only own one levergun . it is a extra light weight Japchester 1886 45-70 . I bought it last year as a christmas present for myself ;-) I had my smith lenthen the throught (because it would not chamber the speer 400 gr fn ) and "fix the hammer so that now it has the half cockhammer and not the weak rebounding #&*%$# hititandnotfire hammer. :mad: it a has the trajectory of a howizer and kicks like one, with my hand loads , but dang it is a fun gun to shoot. ive ran over 1200 rounds thought it , 1100 of them cast (myself of course ) i cant imagine myself being under gunned with a 460 gr hardcast @1700 fps . it is the second of my two gun hunting battery . it is short , light ,swings like a fine shot gun and is accurate ( easy 1-2 inches @100 yards open sights with cast ) perfect for the thick and nasty bullelk hiding holes .

Four Fingers of Death
07-24-2005, 06:18 AM
I only own one levergun . it is a extra light weight Japchester 1886 45-70 . I bought it last year as a christmas present for myself ;-) I had my smith lenthen the throught (because it would not chamber the speer 400 gr fn ) and "fix the hammer so that now it has the half cockhammer and not the weak rebounding #&*%$# hititandnotfire hammer. :mad: it a has the trajectory of a howizer and kicks like one, with my hand loads , but dang it is a fun gun to shoot. ive ran over 1200 rounds thought it , 1100 of them cast (myself of course ) i cant imagine myself being under gunned with a 460 gr hardcast @1700 fps . it is the second of my two gun hunting battery . it is short , light ,swings like a fine shot gun and is accurate ( easy 1-2 inches @100 yards open sights with cast ) perfect for the thick and nasty bullelk hiding holes .

Only one lever? Doesn't it get lonely? You should have a 30/30, a gun sfae is not a gun safe without one.

Minute of Sambar we call that sort of accuracy (the Sambar is a elk sized deer we hunt in Australia).

Sounds as sweet as. I love cast, but if its jacketed, its gotta be a Speer 405Gn flatnose. Hammer of Thor stuff!

Mick.

Four Fingers of Death
07-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Mick-
If those are '92s, and I expect they are, the 122xxx was made about 1896, and the 164xxx was made about 1898. I say "about", just because I don't know your exact serial numbers.

In the very unlikely event you're talking about '94s of some mutant variety that made it down under, which I sincerely doubt, they were made in 1898 and 1899, give or take a year, based on those numbers.

I didn't realise they were that old. Guess I better get on the phone and give the plastic a bit of a flex tomorrow.

They both look shootable, the dearer one especially, would they be safe to shoot? I'm not much interested in owning something I can't shoot. It would be cast of course.
Mick.

The Nyack Kid
07-24-2005, 12:13 PM
the list of guns that i "need" is as long as my arm . i would love to get my hands on a winchester 1895 in 30-40 , a japchester 1895 405 . a pre-war winny 1894 in 32 special ,a marlin 1894 in 45 colt , a winchester 71 ,a savege 99 in 303 savage , a costom winchester 1886 lightwight take-down two barrel set in 45-70 & 33 winchester (or winchester 71 take-down 50 alasken and 348 winchester) i could go on and on this is just the lever gun list . to bad i cant afford anything right now . heck ive got a list of boolit molds i need to get just to keep the 45-70 happy and they are all on hold ( why Lord did you give me expensive taste but not the funds ? ) oh well i am happy with what i have .

leverfan
07-24-2005, 08:28 PM
I didn't realise they were that old. Guess I better get on the phone and give the plastic a bit of a flex tomorrow.

They both look shootable, the dearer one especially, would they be safe to shoot? I'm not much interested in owning something I can't shoot. It would be cast of course.
Mick.

Winchester started going to nickel steel barrels in '95, so take a look at the barrels. If they're stamped "nickel steel", they're safe with pretty much any normal load you'd care to use. If they are not stamped nickel steel, they're still safe, but keep your loads below maximum. The older non-nickel barrels were not designed for smokeless powder or its pressure curve, which is why you'd want to be a little more gentle on them.

Four Fingers of Death
07-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Winchester started going to nickel steel barrels in '95, so take a look at the barrels. If they're stamped "nickel steel", they're safe with pretty much any normal load you'd care to use. If they are not stamped nickel steel, they're still safe, but keep your loads below maximum. The older non-nickel barrels were not designed for smokeless powder or its pressure curve, which is why you'd want to be a little more gentle on them.

I will be in a position to travel past the gunshop (its about 60miles from here) later in the week. I'll drop in and see. Thanks for the info, I'll take a few notes before I go so that I can decide properly.
Mick.

Griff
07-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Funny that the conversation should turn to the '92 Winchester in 32/20. A pawn shop I often frequent has an old half magazine '92 that has a serial# close to 100,000. The old gun looks pretty rough. I'll bet it could tell some stories. The guy has it marked at $495 but told me he'd take $350. Anybody want to take a road trip to North Central Texas?
Yep. Where, I just bought a pre-'64 Mdl 94 for $195 and, well... a rough '92 in .32-20 might just be my next project. :cool:

zeke
07-29-2005, 07:35 AM
First rifle bought , then later sold was Marlin 336. Very accurate rifle with jacketed hunting loads. Yup, grew up watching them cowboy movies. Still appreciate the levers and have several. Especially like the shorter versions, in pistol calibers and Ballard rifling.

Win trapper-45 Lc
16 in Marlin .357, ported, Ballard rifling
16 in Marlin 44 mag, ported, Ballard rifling
18 in Marlin 444 outfitter, ported , Ballard rifling
18 in Marlin 45-70 guide gun, ported, Ballard rifling
20 in Marlin 375 Winchester
20 in Win 375 , NIB ain't even shot yet

Still looking for 32-20 or 32 mag (one that i can actully see and touch before buying)

Four Fingers of Death
07-31-2005, 05:55 AM
Three pages, it has seen some excellent discussion. I have decided against the 32/20, even though it would seem to be an excellent buy. It wiuld have to be shot long, hard and frequently if own it and this is probably a bit too much to ask from a rifle that is over 100years old.

Piglead
08-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Three pages, it has seen some excellent discussion. I have decided against the 32/20, even though it would seem to be an excellent buy. It wiuld have to be shot long, hard and frequently if own it and this is probably a bit too much to ask from a rifle that is over 100years old.

92's keep keeping on! They are built like a brick out house! :wink:

Why do we love leverguns? Well to begin with Us left handers are right at home with em ! Their quick for a follow up shot from the shoulder (esp if you have a wounded Water Buff charging you as I had once !)And most importantly ! If they were good enough for John Wayne,Jimmy Stewert, Randoph Scott,& Chuck conners ! Well their good enough for me (hey what's wrong with letting the kid in us out every nown again ? ) I've also used mod88s, Sako Finnbears,(both in.308 ) & had a love affair with a BLR in .358 great rifles & great Fun!