PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a thermocouple

happyhunter
04-14-2012, 11:27 AM
I have a thermocouple meter and a long probe. Is this the same shape of TC that other people use? Here is my setup.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/happyhunter/DSCN1569.jpg

I am thinking of mounting it so I sticks straight down into the pot along the back right hand corner, close to the wall of the pot. This will have it out of the way as it will stick up pretty high. Maybe use a pipe or rod bolted to the base sticking up and then zip tie the TC to it. How did you mount your TC?

Thanks,
HH

edler7
04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Mounted mine by taking 3-4 turns of soft iron wire (bale wire) around the TC, then running a leg the length I needed off the bottom of the turns and putting a small loop in the end of the leg. I attached that under one of the screws on the top of the pot.

It isn't pretty but it worked.

happyhunter
04-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I took a couple reads but now I understand. That sounds like a simple but good idea.

Thanks,
HH

Sonnypie
04-14-2012, 03:23 PM
In industry they are normally in a thermowell.
It still gives the read, but protects the thermocouple from the material.
You could make one easily with some copper or brass tubing. Pinch the bottom shut to keep the lead out.
Here are some commercial examples. (http://www.thermowells.com/ourproducts.html)

Oh, and your read-out is upside down.... :bigsmyl2:

happyhunter
04-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Sonny,
I have seen wells like that, kinda forgot about that.... The wells I have seen fit pretty snug on the probe to get good heat transfer for a good reading. Unless the copper tube fits well it would insulate the probe. The probes I have do have a stainless steel body, maybe it will be OK.

Yeah the read out is upside down. The AC connects to the bottom of my TC meter and may short to the steel of the multipurpose table saw top I use for casting. So, I flip it over.

HH

shaune509
04-14-2012, 07:05 PM
There is a contact paste for the 'wells/probe' that allows heat transfer and a carsion[sp] shield. Most Hvac supply 's carry it, used with many probe type limit switches.
Shaune509

popper
04-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Use the twisted wire trick with a clevis clip from the HW store to keep it of the bottom. Lead doesn't stick to SS.