PDA

View Full Version : Spark arrestor

44man
04-14-2012, 08:07 AM
I went to weed whack to find my machine wacky. :groner:
It has been leaking oil all over the outside so I pulled the muffler, washed everything. The muffler had oil in it and it was leaking past he silicone sealant. The screen was carbon blocked and I sure was not driving 20 miles for one.
I scraped it and found holding it tight on one end and letting it vibrate against a wire wheel, it removed all the carbon.
I got it back together and should be able to run it today, had to wait for silicone to cure.
I thought about leaving it out but is really dry here, no rain in over a month plus it will be noisy.
Stihl machine with a nice muffler that comes apart with 4 screws.

geargnasher
04-14-2012, 11:12 AM
My weed whacker has a wooden handle, starts every time given enough pain killers and coffee.

Gear

beagle
04-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Don't even talk about weed eaters. I just got done weed eating a half mile of rock wall....front and back. One snake committeed suicide during the process. I've had enough fun for the day./beagle

MT Gianni
04-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Gear, sometimes we need a like option. I looked at weedeating and burned 1/4 acre yesterday instead.

44man
04-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Thing started right up, a few tweaks with the carb setting and I did the yard. Works like new.
Still a pain in the butt, 2 acres and over 80 trees and things to whack around plus the fences.

tubb_ooh_lard
04-14-2012, 03:50 PM
my weedeater comes in a jug , roundup

41 mag fan
04-14-2012, 08:54 PM
My weedeater stands on 2 feet and scares the h*ll out of me when she starts up. Esp when she starts up on me

44man
04-15-2012, 08:19 AM
My weedeater stands on 2 feet and scares the h*ll out of me when she starts up. Esp when she starts up on me
I'm not going to touch that one! [smilie=1:[smilie=1:

41 mag fan
04-15-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm not going to touch that one! [smilie=1:[smilie=1:

LMAO... I figured out 10 yrs ago, I keep her po'd at me, I eat like a king. I make her mad, she gets in that kitchen and the pans start clinking, and I hear mumbling coming from there.
When she's done I got a supper that'll feed the military and rival any chefs.
I learned that 10 yrs ago, and haven't seen her in a nice mood since!!

About 4 yrs ago, she figured out she likes to mow.....I absolutley hate mowing. If it was me, we'd be picking corn off our decks or have an acre and a 1/2 of concrete driveway.
All I got to do is mention me mowing or go start up the mower in the garage.
I get the evil eye, that'll put a yellow stream down the toughest mans leg, I'll hear the clinking of ice in the cooler, next thing you see, is the mower in the yard with her on it, a smoke in one hand, beer in the other, i- pod ear phones in her ears, and her singing away while mowing.

Life is good.....I sit on the deck, she goes by on mower, I smile and wave, she gives me that look, I go change my underwear and come back and sit on the deck, knowing here in a few hours I'm going to eat like a king with a nice looking yard!!

x101airborne
04-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Heck, since I had my carpal tunnel surgery, I haven't stopped working in the yard and that is peeving my wife off worse than anything. I have about 2 years of stuff to catch up on, plus re-siding the house, plus cleaning out the gardens, trimming the trees, adding insulation to the attic, build my phesant coop, butchering chickens, and taking care of my folks place plus the ranches.
I think she got used to me being unable to work and took it for laziness.

NVcurmudgeon
04-15-2012, 06:15 PM
My Cub Cadet "Riding Weed Whacker" does a great job on the weeds when set for a 4" cut. The fringe benefits are; the quail really appreciate not having to leap for their seeds, the Washoe Zephyr hauls the slash away, and it really bugs the reclusive next-door neighbor. Hard to understand that last. I've only seen him once in eight years, and the only thing he could talk about was how my stepson and I run over rocks. We don't hit that many rocks, most of them are now in a neat, four foot high, pyramid in the middle of the "back forty." The blades do bear a resemblance to a Ginsu knife, yet they still do a good enough job on the civilized front lawn. I told the nosy neighbor that I'll trade off blade damage for backache avoidance every chance I get.

357maximum
04-16-2012, 12:40 AM
my weedeater comes in a jug , roundup

I do the same but find agricultural strength 2-4-D to last alot longer. ;-)

ErikO
04-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Gear, sometimes we need a like option. I looked at weedeating and burned 1/4 acre yesterday instead.

Been tempted to do a controlled burn of my backyard but for two factors. It's been too wet here and I live in town. :lol:

375RUGER
04-16-2012, 03:52 PM
this makes me glad I live in NM

firefly1957
04-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Twice I have put the weedwacker muffler over a fire to burn the carbon out the carbon it will not come apart to allow me to clean the screen first attempt was carb. cleaner then I thought it is all metal I bet it will burn out and it worked fine after too!

jsizemore
04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Goats be excellent weed wackers.

mnkyracer
04-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Growing up, my parents were the caretakers of a church. Weed whacking a cemetary full of 100 year old headstones is not fun.

excess650
04-17-2012, 07:11 AM
If your 2-stroke muffler has a noticeable amount of oil in it and the screen was clogged, you're either using too much oil, or some crappy oil.

My property is "in the woods" and there is a lot of edge that grows up with weeds, multiflora rose, black locust, etc. Too, the property lines through the woods are in mountain laurel, white pines, etc. I need something that will cut grass, weeds, and light brush.

When my Ryobi combo-whacker decided that it had enough use, I looked around and was considering a Stihl 4-mix, or possibly an Echo. I ended up buying a Honda (true 4 stroke) brushcutter (handlebar controls). While the Honda is heavier, with a full harness and handlbar controls its easy enough to deal with. The Honda is soooooo much easier to start, runs on straight gas, is quieter, hardly vibrates, and sips fuel.

44man
04-17-2012, 07:55 AM
I had trouble with this oil before in my leaf blower too. It is Stihl synthetic. I am going to switch to Opti-2 as soon as get to the store.

firefly1957
04-17-2012, 08:35 AM
I do use cheap oil bought two gallons 10 years ago still using the first gallon. A big part of my problem is all my equipment uses different mixes and the weedhacker is running on more oil than called for I have been running it that way for seven years only problem being clogged exhaust twice.

blackthorn
04-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Echos are good machines! I have two Echo chainsaws and a weedwacker, all are seven years old and none have given me any grief.