PDA

View Full Version : New Chronograph

Moonie
04-13-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm very excited about shooting tomorrow. I received a new chronograph, a Master F-1. I've been reloading for 25 years and casting for about 20 of those but have never owned a chronograph. This will be a new experience for me to finally know exactly how fast my boolits are traveling without having to extrapolate/guess from what is in my many manuals.

hornady
04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Congratulations on the new chrony. I bought mine about 5 years ago. I don’t set it up as much as I did at one time, but it doses take away the guesswork working up a new round. One suggestion take someone with you to help set up. They can be a pain if doing it by your self. You want to know you have a good line of site. Plenty of stories of shot Chronys on the Internet.

Moonie
04-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Yup, I have a couple of sons going with me, we will be shooting on a friends property, he has allowed us to setup a range, 3 shooting positions, 100Y, 200Y and one that should be close to 1,000, haven't verified the distance on the last one yet. This will be the first time we have shot there.

Axton1
04-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Wow Moonie!
That is a might fine friend you've got to have permission to use that large a plot!
Make sure ya' give him a pat on the back occasionally - case of beer, mow his yard or buy him a side of beef or sump'n!

Myself, I have a love/hate relationship with my chrony. I know the thing WORKS because I've gotten repeatable results with it lots of times. (Rifles work fine - it's the pistols that's the probem.) But occasionally, I just don't do MY PART correctly and the readings are junk! Not to discourage you but, something to be aware of. I'll be the first to admit that it is my fault, I haven't taken the time with the thing to work out the kinks and occasionally have gotten out too late in the evening for it to work correctly. The things like quite a bit of light to function properly apparently.....
When I can't make it work, I usually let my son shoot through and results come out better.
Think it's the eyesight.....but thn, i try NOT think about those things!
Best of luck!

Dark Helmet
04-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Believe thats the one I'm currently using. It doesn't do the statistical functions, right? Here's a page that will do standard deviation and average deviation for you.
http://www.reloadbench.com/gloss/deviation.html

Jailer
04-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Congratulations on the new chrony. I bought mine about 5 years ago. I don’t set it up as much as I did at one time, but it doses take away the guesswork working up a new round. One suggestion take someone with you to help set up. They can be a pain if doing it by your self. You want to know you have a good line of site. Plenty of stories of shot Chronys on the Internet.

What do you mean? :D :veryconfu

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=150677

Moonie, good call on the remote screen.

soldierbilly1
04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Mr Moonie:
way to go. I got mine years ago for highpower and setting up my loads so I would be as fast as everyone else on the line with my AR and its projectiles! It was a good experience and I learned a lot about my loads too.
have fun`
billy boy

Moonie
04-14-2012, 11:15 PM
I chronographed several loads, my Karabiner 8mm load (35gr H4895) is clocking 1850 fps, my 245gr 30 caliber Accurate boolit is clocking 1040 fps in the 300 AAC Blackout and 1940 fps in my 30-06 (again, 35gr H4895). Right in the range that I expected all of them to be. My sons 7mm Rem Mag was slower than he expected, but about what I figured it would be. 200gr Lee SWC (4gr Clays) 45 acp load was clocking right at 880 fps. All in all a fun day.

Grandpas50AE
04-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I bought my first Chrony F-1 years ago, and it has been a very useful tool. Not only does it read the velocity out, but tracking the shot-to-shot can tell you a lot about your loading techniques, component variations, etc. When you can get your SD below 10.0 you know you are on a good path, and when it is below 5.0 you are in the competition area for consistency. One thing it can also tell you is that the most consistent shot-to-shot load (velocity wise) is not always the most accurate, which would seem counter-intuitive until you realize that the timing of the bullet exit and the vibration wave in the barrel have more to do with it than one might think.

Anyway, have fun with that chronograph.

cf_coder
04-16-2012, 05:17 PM
My wonderful wife bought me an Alpha Chrony Master for my birthday last week. I finally got a chance to take it out to the range over the weekend and it was a real eye opener.

I was doing some load development for my .357 using some bullets from my Lyman 358156 and some RD 359-175 RNFPs and was really happy to finally be able to match some velocity numbers to my ladder testing. Only thing that would be better would be to have the printer... but I'm not gonna spend an extra $100 on something that I can duplicate with a pencil and paper. :D