PDA

View Full Version : ? About Lyman Gas check seater.

flipajig
04-12-2012, 07:23 PM
I am new to the casting world. So please bare with me. I hav shot several thousand cast Boolits my guns so learning how to cast is the only way to go.
Worked the bugs out of my 9mm it's happy and so am I.
Moved on to a 310 Lee GC (don't really need them the GC on this Boolits)
But I'm wanting to use a 240 grn WC in my tender now I'm running a 240 in my SBH and it's running around 1340 FPS so in my tender I'm going to get in the 1500 to 1600 FPS range so I'm thinking I need a GC for this.
So I pick up some Lyman 44 cal GC on EBay for less than you can buy new so I'm happy right (NOT) they fall off. I'm sizing them in a RCBS Lubermatic sized at .0429. So I do a bunch more reading and I conclude that they are old checks and this is known to happen so I figure I need a GC seater pick one up and now I can't figure this thing out.
Sorry for being so long winded but
How do you make this -----$;$;&:& thing work.
Thanks Flip.

TreeKiller
04-13-2012, 02:44 AM
Waiting for the reply's I can not figure it out ether. :x

LUCKYDAWG13
04-13-2012, 07:29 AM
did your boolits fill out all the way i did have some home made checks that
i supper glued on. i cast for a SBH and size at .432 and i size .430 for my Contender

TCFAN
04-13-2012, 09:09 AM
what brand of gas check seater did you buy?If it was a lyman and your gas checks are too big for your boolit, the gas check seater will not help..........Terry

rmb721
04-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Use Hornady gas checks. They are crimp on.

flipajig
04-14-2012, 07:29 PM
It is a Lyman gas check seater. I'm sizeing at .0429 and the checks are larger than the Boolits

TCFAN
04-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Could be that some one put those lyman gas checks on Ebay for the very reason that you have found that they won't work for you.
Like was said above get some Hornady or Gator checks and I bet they will work................Terry

FrankG
04-14-2012, 11:53 PM
The checks dont need to stay on but long enough to be loaded after they are sized with boolit.
The old lyman checks dont crimp on .

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-15-2012, 01:22 AM
here's the destructions included with the seater
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/pdf/LyC_BC_LS_GCS.pdf

It goes under the die not above-essentially all it does it lock the pin so it cant move while seating the checks,
I recently tried 20 Lyman gas checks given to me for a286 boolit. They don't fit worth a ****, fall off and in order to get them to stay on I had to lean on the press hard enough that it bumped up the nose diameter enough that they wouldn't chamber. THese where the OLD Lymans in the black and white box.

RayinNH
04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Annealing helps quite often with loose checks. They're loose because of the springiness in the material. Heat them with a propane torch until red and water quench, at this point they'll be dead soft. they should stay on unless something else is amiss, like a grossly undersized boolit shank, or wrong for caliber checks :roll:...Ray

DrBill33
04-15-2012, 11:44 AM
My .277 boolits would not hold NEW Lyman checks! Tried some Hornady (from a fellow .270 shooter) , and experienced no problems. Might it be that Lyman has quality control issues (such as NONE!)?

midnight
04-15-2012, 12:11 PM
If the gas check seater you bought is a Lyman, it is made for the Lyman 450 & 4500. Maybe the 45 and #1 also cuz the operate in a similar manner. All the Lyman gas check seater does is keep the punch in the sizing die from moving when you press the bullet down with the top punch. You then remove the gas check seater and push the bullet down into the die in the usual way. Any thing will work if placed under the die so the punch can't move.

Bob