PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson 60-18 “J” frame, with a Weaver Rail, & Red Dot

matdental
04-12-2012, 04:57 PM
This is a Photo Story how I made a Weaver Rail, and mounted a TRS 25 Red Dot sight to my Smith & Wesson model 60-18.

Please “click” on the link to see my story.

http://mattsondentallaboratory.com/boolets%20forum%20start%20page.HTML

subsonic
04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Not bad. I thought I was the only person that wanted a scope mount for a j-frame.

Could bust a lot of myths with one...

BTW, what range are you shooting those groups?

matdental
04-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks subsonic:
10 yards.

Love Life
04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
That is just awesome.

matdental
04-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks Love Life:
My 1st Post here...Trying to figure this all out

WARD O
04-12-2012, 06:25 PM
One heck of a range report..... I am impressed.

Now back off to 50 yards or so and give it some more testing.....

ward

Haggway
04-12-2012, 06:27 PM
First of all. Welcome to the asylum.
Second. This is a nice set up and shoots as good as it looks.
Third. Darn you !! lol Now I have another idea floating around in my head for a project.

It's all good.

matdental
04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
One heck of a range report..... I am impressed.

Now back off to 50 yards or so and give it some more testing.....

ward

Been there...done that...
50 yard silhouette...cake walk with the .357 #358158, 5.0 Bullseye

But the whole idea is to test my loads with something that I can see, and can hold study at the same time. I've had fun putting this all together..A great gun for the ladies too

matdental
04-12-2012, 06:45 PM
You're funny....I have about 15 more projects to do now that this one is off and running. Do you want of them?
Thanks for the welcome aboard.

matdental
04-12-2012, 06:46 PM
First of all. Welcome to the asylum.
Second. This is a nice set up and shoots as good as it looks.
Third. Darn you !! lol Now I have another idea floating around in my head for a project.

It's all good.

Haggway....You're funny....I have about 15 more projects to do now that this one is off and running. Do you want any of them?
Thanks for the welcome aboard.

Love Life
04-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I have always gotten good accuracy out of the snub nose J-frames, and wonder what one could do with an optic on it.

Am I right in assuming you had the barrel installed?

Got any spares of that sight mount sitting around? The wheels are definately turning. I can see a snubbie with a dot sight being minute of rabbit for up to 20 yards easily. Hmmm.

Dark Helmet
04-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Did you have to lap or Leement the 356125 mold to get 358 boolits?
Try a set of Pachmayr Compacs

matdental
04-12-2012, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Love Life;1672489]I have always gotten good accuracy out of the snub nose J-frames, and wonder what one could do with an optic on it.

Am I right in assuming you had the barrel installed?

Smith & Wesson model 60-15 has the 3 inch barrel, the model 60-18 has the 5 inch. Right from the factory..

matdental
04-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Did you have to lap or Leement the 356125 mold to get 358 boolits?
Try a set of Pachmayr Compacs

No...the little bugers mic-ed-out at .359-.360 at casting. Then I just sized them to .358.

But I did find that when I poured lead into the 6 cavity mold,....and if I didn't have a large amount of sprue puddle, as the bullet cooled and it would shrink and slightly distort. Like it would have a slight dent on one side. Best cast them with a fair amount of sprue puddle to avoid this.

By-the-way, Lee's #356125 works, but is not the most accurate bullet for me. Best for the 9mm Luger guys

Someone else said to try Pachmayr grips...

jameslovesjammie
04-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Great writeup, and thanks for all the pics!

RKJ
04-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Thanks Love Life:
My 1st Post here...Trying to figure this all out

From the looks of your photos I'd say you've got it pretty well figured out. :)

dragonrider
04-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Nice work and nice groups. Why two piece?? I would have made it one piece, not that it matters at all, just a curiosity.
Welcome to the forum.

jmsj
04-13-2012, 09:25 AM
matdental,
First off, welcome to Castboolits.
Thanks for the great photo article. I really like the pistol rest in your post. Did you manufacture it yourself? If so, could you post on the build. Also tell us how you like the TRS-25 sight.
Once again welcome, jmsj

theperfessor
04-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Nice Job!

matdental
04-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Nice work and nice groups. Why two piece?? I would have made it one piece, not that it matters at all, just a curiosity.
Welcome to the forum.

Good Morning Paul:

Thank you for your interest. I made it in two (2) parts because I may want to change the rail design for a different sight. The base will always fit the gun, no need to remake it every time. The top half only takes me a few minutes to make and change out to a new sight
I'm thinking on a Leopold DeltaPoint 3.5

http://improvingeyesightexercises.com/leupold-deltapoint-3-5-red-dot-sight-review/

I really do like the Leopold DeltaPoint 3.5....(but $400.00....eek.!! )

Wayne.

matdental
04-13-2012, 11:25 AM
matdental,
Thanks for the great photo article. I really like the pistol rest in your post. Did you manufacture it yourself? If so, could you post on the build. Also tell us how you like the TRS-25 sight.
Once again welcome, jmsj

Good Morning JMSJ:

Thank you for the nice comments. Yes I did make the pistol rest. I make almost everything I have. It really expands my interest in shooting because I’m always designing something. But this Pistol Rest is so practical to use, and with the elevated hand pad it’s a natural comfort to shoot with.

The Bushnell TRS 25 is the best bang for the buck. It is an excellent sight for small rifles too. I put one on my M-1 Carbine. I machine modified a cheap-o commercial mount, and I was in business. The TRS 25 is a winner in my opinion.
Have a nice day.

Wayne

matdental
04-13-2012, 11:37 AM
matdental,
Once again welcome, jmsj

(2nd try to post this)

Good Morning JMSJ:

Thank you for the nice comments. Yes I did make the pistol rest. I make almost everything I have. It really expands my interest in shooting because I’m always designing something. But this Pistol Rest is so practical to use, and with the elevated hand pad it’s a natural comfort to shoot with.

The Bushnell TRS 25 is the best bang for the buck. It is an excellent sight for small rifles too. I put one on my M-1 Carbine. I machine modified a cheap-o commercial mount, and I was in business. The TRS 25 is a winner in my opinion.
Have a nice day.

Wayne

subsonic
04-13-2012, 11:43 AM
+1 for the TRS25... it might not be the right choice for a .500 S&W.

matdental
04-13-2012, 12:07 PM
+1 for the TRS25... it might not be the right choice for a .500 S&W.

When I shoot the Big .500, I normally have the Recon spotters call in with artillery
Coordinates..... no need for a TRS 25

W.

gunfan
04-14-2012, 02:56 PM
All the S&W has to do now, is to replicate the model in .327 Federal Magnum and they couldn't keep them on the shelves!

Scott

Jal5
04-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Nice shooting!
I really like the Lee 358105 for my 38 spl work in the S&W M66 too.

that handgun shooting rest is really neat-
how did you come up with the carpeted hand rest?
I assume the screw adjusting the front to back motion of the hand rest goes all the way through those pieces?

Gives me a lot of ideas for a new project.

Joe

bobthenailer
04-14-2012, 04:30 PM
I was also thinking of mounting a red dot on my S&W 63 as i cant see the irons as well as i used to !
Im thinking of useing a JP base with a Trijucon or Pride/fowler special ops sight that i allready have but will have to get the gun drilled & tapped

matdental
04-14-2012, 09:22 PM
All the S&W has to do now, is to replicate the model in .327 Federal Magnum and they couldn't keep them on the shelves!

Scott

Good Afternoon gunfan:

Maybe S&W would have a winner if they produce the .327 on the "J" frame.
Ruger's GP100 and New Model Blackhawk look hot for those who like the .30 cal bullets.
But the .357 is still a bigger bang with more options for the shooter who chooses to shoot .38 or +P's, or .357, and all the brew in between.
Bear-in-mind the .327 is only 100 fps faster than the .357, but has 75 lbs less muzzle energy.
The marriage of the .327 on the "J" frame would be interesting though. Personally, I would still keep the 5 rounds per cylinder for size and weight.

Wayne.

I spent most of my money on cheap beer, loose women, and Lee Dies....The rest I just wasted....

matdental
04-14-2012, 09:59 PM
I was also thinking of mounting a red dot on my S&W 63 as i cant see the irons as well as i used to !
Im thinking of useing a JP base with a Trijucon or Pride/fowler special ops sight that i allready have but will have to get the gun drilled & tapped

Good Evening Bob:

Thank you for your interest:

Like you, I just don't see targets like I used to. The Red Dot sight system is the instant fountain-of-youth for us Distinguished old guys.
By-the-way
When I had my top strap drilled and tapped, I took it to a S&W Authorized Gunsmith. They gave me the green light, and did the job. But now I know the gun is SAFE by S&W's standards.

Wayne

I spent most of my money on cheap beer, loose women, and Lee Dies....The rest I just wasted....

matdental
04-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Nice shooting!
I really like the Lee 358105 for my 38 spl work in the S&W M66 too.

that handgun shooting rest is really neat-
how did you come up with the carpeted hand rest?
I assume the screw adjusting the front to back motion of the hand rest goes all the way through those pieces?

Gives me a lot of ideas for a new project.

Joe

Hello Joe:

Thank you for your complements

I think the 358105 is the greatest! I have about 1,000 or so cast up in linotype that are so perfect that I hate to shoot’em

The handgun rest is very comfortable and compact, the carpeted pedestal evolved by chance. And you are right in your assumption with the screw.

In my wood shop I’m producing several self-designed shooting stands/rest, and reloading accessories as-we-speak.. Maybe sell some on the forum...

Have a nice weekend

Wayne

gunfan
04-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Good Afternoon gunfan:

Maybe S&W would have a winner if they produce the .327 on the "J" frame.
Ruger's GP100 and New Model Blackhawk look hot for those who like the .30 cal bullets.
But the .357 is still a bigger bang with more options for the shooter who chooses to shoot .38 or +P's, or .357, and all the brew in between.
Bear-in-mind the .327 is only 100 fps faster than the .357, but has 75 lbs less muzzle energy.
The marriage of the .327 on the "J" frame would be interesting though. Personally, I would still keep the 5 rounds per cylinder for size and weight.

Wayne.

It is already being produced on the "J" frame (Model 632) with a 3.125" (3 1/8) barrel and an "expansion port" on the muzzle. (It's a 6-shot stainless steel revolver, hat has been blackened to better conceal it.

All that is needed is the 5" barrel to make it perform even better in the field.

Scott

matdental
04-15-2012, 09:04 PM
It is already being produced on the "J" frame (Model 632) with a 3.125" (3 1/8) barrel and an "expansion port" on the muzzle. (It's a 6-shot stainless steel revolver, hat has been blackened to better conceal it.

All that is needed is the 5" barrel to make it perform even better in the field.

Scott

Aw'heck Scott...I knew this all along...I was just being polite to ya....But I like the Smith & Wesson Model 632 Pro Series in non-blue. (Not in love with anodized stainless). You are right though...5 inches would be nice...(thought I'd never say that)...anyway Reloading for the .327 would be a costly adventure I would think....Brass would be a premium. That's why .357 will always be.......38/.357= easy on the pocketbook..Shoot all day, reload all night...That's the .38 caliber way. And besides, I really don't need another caliber to set uo for...Dies shell holders, molds, and most important....TIME....

Get back...Until then, have a good one.

Wayne

I spent most of my money on cheap beer, loose women, and Lee Loaders....The rest I just wasted....

williamwaco
04-15-2012, 09:21 PM
I love Smiths. That one is spectacular.
What would you take for it?
You better sell it to me before the Obamaniation takes it away from you.

My favorite was that spectacular one shot group, "Minute of bullet hole."

I wouldn't have fired an other shot at that target for a thousand bucks.